Best of the best hunting calibers

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
This is a subject that might cause a fight or 2 but it’s a topic that I always find interesting. So for arguments sake let’s say what caliber(s) you think are the “best of the best” for each category and why.

Short action:
Any of the full sized 6.5 calibers- simply have better ballistics and are capable and most ranges a hunter would ever shoot at game.
Long action:
270, or the 280rem if you reload- Just great cartridges and for the 270 you can get it at pretty much any store that sells ammo. Also good for anything in NA
Magnums:
300wm- By far the easiest ammo to find and is really well suited for long distance shooting with a wide range of bullet weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Short ; 6.5 x55 accurate , low recoil, Long ; 30.06, accurate ,cheap to shoot , wide range of bullet weights. easy to find ammo. Mag ; never needed one.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Short action: I could not pick one, would have to be a 260 or 7-08. I couldn’t pick which way to lean. Probably 7-08 because ammo has gotten fairly available.

Long action: again 270,280, or 30-06. I’d probably lean to the 280 if I had to pick one. It’s a good compromise but ammo availability is tough.

Magnums: 7 or 300win. I’d lean to the .300.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
short action - I’d be stuck between the 7mm08 & the .243.

Why , simply because I like ‘em both.

Long action - no doubt the 30 ‘ 06.

Why , the availability of so many different bullet weights.

Magnum - personally I like the .300 win.

Why , just a personal preference.

Andrewd

Six Pointer
Why not best of both worlds a mag and a short action. 300wsm. Ammo is a little hard to find but only drawback I have found.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I'm partial to 30 caliber rounds myself. 308, 30/06, 30/30, 300wm. Not saying they are the best of the best, but I've been pretty lucky with them. I've owned a 270 and a 280 and can't think of anything negative about them. When I did my part they did theirs.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
In a short action, it would be a 243 or 6 creed....105 and even now the 115 bullets that are out there make the 6mm leave nothing on the table to the 6.5s. Long action would be a 280. 7mm bullet have better ballistics and are available in better bullets. If not hand loading then obviously the 270 wins just because of ammo availability.
Long action would be either a 7mm rem mag with a fast twist barrel or a 28 nosler. 7mm bullets are better at long range then comparable 30 cal bullets are. A 7mm pill of 165 grains pushed around 2700 to 3000 FPS will take most anything you will ever encounter

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is a subject that might cause a fight or 2 but it’s a topic that I always find interesting. So for arguments sake let’s say what caliber(s) you think are the “best of the best” for each category and why.

Short action:
Any of the full sized 6.5 calibers- simply have better ballistics and are capable and most ranges a hunter would ever shoot at game.
Long action:
270, or the 280rem if you reload- Just great cartridges and for the 270 you can get it at pretty much any store that sells ammo. Also good for anything in NA
Magnums:
300wm- By far the easiest ammo to find and is really well suited for long distance shooting with a wide range of bullet weights.

I agree completely with your selections. The most accurate rifle I've ever owned was a 300 Win Mag.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Short? 7MM-08.
Long? Hard to argue with the .30-06
Magnum? If I were looking to hunt something and didn't think the -06 would be sufficient I'd have to look at a larger magnum than .30 so I'd probably look at a .340 Weatherby.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Keep em coming...... figured this kinda discussion might help newer hunters deciding on a caliber or in choosing a 2nd

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Short - .260 Rem but if I didn't handload a 308.
Long - 25.06 but if I hunted anything bigger than deer a 30.06 no doubt.
Mag - never needed or wanted one.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Short Action = .260Rem/6.5 Creedmoor Low recoil, great accuracy.

Long Action = 30-06 There's very few problems a man can't fix with $700 and a 30-06. It has taken every game animal on earth.

Magnum = .300 Win Mag Fast, flat, accuate and extremely versatile bullet choices.

<>< Fish

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Short .308, but good with .243, .260, or 7mm-08
Long 30-06, but good with 25-06, .270, or .280
Don't need a magnum, but if I did, probably a .338WM for a real step up from 30-06.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
From 1980 until three years ago my only centerfire rifle was a .243, it did all I wanted it to on deer...

Well, bears have gotten thick in Gates County and I went out and bought a .270, just in case it was needed for bear...I guess that would be my picks...

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Short - I like the 308 . It might be old and boring but it works and is a fun/affordable target round. I also have a soft spot for the .243. Not sure if it counts as S/A since it was made for the AR platform but I really like the 6.8 SPC. Hammers deer with little to no recoil and has a decent selection of ammo that is affordable and available.
Long - 30/06. They work and this is America. Granted I have not had a long action rifle in years so no dog in the fight. I have allways wanted a 25/06 but never messed with one.
Magnum - 300 WM due to ammo selection and the fact I don't reload.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Very Short : .44 Rem Mag
Short ……... : .243 Win , 7mm-08 Rem , .308 Win
Long ……… : .25-06 Rem , .270 Win , .280 Rem , .30-06 Spfld

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Short- 308
Mid- 6.5x284Norma (needs a little more space than a standard short action but doesn’t need a whole long action)
Long- 270
Magnum- 375 H&H

The 308 and 270 got picked because they work and are very reasonable on price, recoil, etc. The 6.5x284 doesn’t seem to be able to reach its full potential in a short action, even though it will fit with factory ammo. Allows for a very flat shooting, high energy cartridge without the drawbacks of a magnum. The 375 won out for magnums because the 308 and 270 can do 99% of what a 300mag can do.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Short---7mm-08

Long---25-06

Mag---Had a 300, liked the gun, just had no use for something that big so I traded it.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Calibers?..……...6.5 or 7mm or .30

Cartridges?...…...
short--284 Win, 260 Rem, 270/08, 7mm/08....why?...efficient ballistics (getting velocity out of that amt of powder throwing that amt of lead)
Medium---6.5x55, .257 Roberts, 7x57, .......................... "............ " ................" ................................. " ............…….. " ………………… " ……….
Long---30/06, 338/06, 270 Win, 358 Norma Mag..........why ?................same as above

Having said that, I like "efficient" cartridges like the 257 Ackley which gets 25/06 ballistics with 2/3 the powder, etc, etc.
.280 AI is another dandy!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Short action: 308
Long action: 30-06
Magnum: 300 mag

I kinda favor 30 caliber bullets...lol

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk