Best O/U for ~$1k

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Guys, I don’t think it’s so much about not “wearing out” an O/U in a lifetime, rather, it’s about the overall quality and reliability it brings to the table. The reality is a cheaply made/designed O/U simply is going to have more issues than a better built and proven one. I buy the Berettas and Browning for this very reason ….not to mention they seem to fit me better right off the shelf. Two of my older O/U’s are a 12ga Beretta 682 Gold Sporting I bought slightly used in ‘96 and the other is a 70’s era 20ga Miroku (it’s a Browning Citori) that no telling how much it was shot prior to my acquisition. Both run flawlessly without nary an issue and I shoot/have shot many a clay target over the decades. But my go to dove and clays gun is a Beretta 28ga Silver Pigeon Sporting that like the above, has not had one single issue. Not as old as the others but shot just as much if not more, it functions as smoothly and reliably as it did the day I bought it new.

Hope I’m not coming across as a higher end gun snob, I’m simply pointing out these type of guns at the end of the day keep on going and going like the energizer bunny. I’ve shouldered/shot several of the less expensive guns mentioned and quite frankly have been impressed with a few of them. If they meet one’s requirements, then by all mean not a darn thing wrong with adding it to your collection!👌

My SKB is a Miroku.
Like you said, they made the Brownings way back when.

My buddy let me handle and shoulder and swing his Kreighoff(sp.)? High-rib gun. That thing jumped to my shoulder easier than anything I ever held. The beads were perfectly lined up with my eye every time.
My pockets just ain't big enough to buy a gun like that just to shoot clays with. I'd always be afraid of scratching it if I ever hunted with it.🤣

Like said countless times before."Good ain't cheap and, cheap ain't good." But..... that never means that one can't get a reliable, good shooter cheap.
My friends all shoot K guns, B guns, and one shoots a Beretta EE, LL gun. They just like the clay game better than I do.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
yea sounds pretty snobby to me. I’m joking (mostly) 😂.

So which of the non B’s impressed you?

I’ve only ever shot my 12g Citori and a buddies 101. The citori fits me like a 3rd arm. It’s wonderful. The 101 is also a very nice unit.

I’m on the hunt for a 20 g O/U and trying to decide if I create a matching pair or look for something non-B…
If you order a Skb 690 you will feel like you have a 3k gun.
I have a Franchi SL and in my opinion the SKB is nicer, wood, barrels. Everything, yes the new SKB guns are made in turkey. I hate to brag on my gun, but she’s a beauty.
Flying game hammer.

Attachments

• 310BD10B-8B45-4682-B148-038E842BD075.jpeg
    310BD10B-8B45-4682-B148-038E842BD075.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Guys, I don’t think it’s so much about not “wearing out” an O/U in a lifetime, rather, it’s about the overall quality and reliability it brings to the table. The reality is a cheaply made/designed O/U simply is going to have more issues than a better built and proven one. I buy the Berettas and Browning for this very reason ….not to mention they seem to fit me better right off the shelf. Two of my older O/U’s are a 12ga Beretta 682 Gold Sporting I bought slightly used in ‘96 and the other is a 70’s era 20ga Miroku (it’s a Browning Citori) that no telling how much it was shot prior to my acquisition. Both run flawlessly without nary an issue and I shoot/have shot many a clay target over the decades. But my go to dove and clays gun is a Beretta 28ga Silver Pigeon Sporting that like the above, has not had one single issue. Not as old as the others but shot just as much if not more, it functions as smoothly and reliably as it did the day I bought it new.

Hope I’m not coming across as a higher end gun snob, I’m simply pointing out these type of guns at the end of the day keep on going and going like the energizer bunny. I’ve shouldered/shot several of the less expensive guns mentioned and quite frankly have been impressed with a few of them. If they meet one’s requirements, then by all mean not a darn thing wrong with adding it to your collection!👌
100% truth, not only is the name attached but there are many decades of experience in their design. I’ve shot one holland and even though it wasn’t perfectly measured for my build, the guy was close to my frame, and WOW!!!!! I wish I had 50k lying around to own one. The citoris have always been great shooting and performing guns whether it be pheasant in Nebraska or ducks on the NC coast.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
I have a Franchi SL and in my opinion the SKB is nicer, wood, barrels. Everything, yes the new SKB guns are made in turkey. I hate to brag on my gun, but she’s a beauty.
Flying game hammer.
Which gun is the picture of? SKB or Franchi? Gorgeous gun.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Flying game hammer.
Now you've got me wanting an SKB but does the gun feel like it's almost 2.5lbs heavier than the franchi SL?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Now you've got me wanting an SKB but does the gun feel like it's almost 2.5lbs heavier than the franchi SL?
Yes it does. And the balance is perfect. I keep the Franchi sl in the case.
I take the Skb everywhere, with the weight the recoil is very mild and easy to make the second shot count as much as the first.
Mines banged up a little now that I take it duck hunting. She my friend 🤣 by no means is she heavy.
You can come hold her 😏

shurshot

Ten Pointer

I’ve only ever shot my 12g Citori and a buddies 101. The citori fits me like a 3rd arm. It’s wonderful. The 101 is also a very nice unit.

I’m on the hunt for a 20 g O/U and trying to decide if I create a matching pair or look for something non-B…

As others have said, an SKB can really offer fine value for their cost. Finding an older one in real good condition might be the ticket as I think it’s a very underrated O/U for the money and might be priced right.

The CZ has a good line up of O/U’s that are pretty nice all around guns. Wouldn’t hesitate to get one if i found one I liked.

The Stevens (Savage) model 555 Silver 20 gauge also felt/shot very good and appeared to be put together pretty well. Had a youth shooting one at my place few years back that shot it well. Think they are around $750ish so not bad for less than a K.
Lastly, the entry level Yildez also fit well and a lot of folks like them. I almost bought one in .410 as a “beater” gun but I felt it wasn’t going to hold up if I started shooting clays, etc. with it…which I’m sure I would have. Btw, those guns are in the $500 range.

Deerjager

Old Mossy Horns
I bought my son a Yildiz HPS 20ga 12 yrs ago for his 13th birthday. We sprang for the higher grade wood and finish. It is a beautiful gun. It was stiff on opening but loosened up after 10-12 rds of trap and liberal grease application. Not a high end Browning or Beretta, but a nice looking & shooting gun for the cost.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
I’m afraid you’re right about that…
Don’t sweat the small stuff. Add that 20 and don’t look back! I had a similar experience as Ducknut described. A lesser o/u with a steady diet of lead 3” magnums years back, after several years was loose as a goose

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Don’t sweat the small stuff. Add that 20 and don’t look back! I had a similar experience as Ducknut described. A lesser o/u with a steady diet of lead 3” magnums years back, after several years was loose as a goose
1715610743746.png gorgeous set!

How much lighter is the 20 relative to the 12?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
There’s a whole nother level of o/u’s between the B guns and the krieghoff/perazzi types and that’s the guns I found to be what I absolutely loved back in my skeet/sporting clays days. And that group would be the Ceasar Guirini and Blaser guns.
My absolute dream o/u is the Blaser F3. I shot one quite a bit back in the day and loved it. My full time gun was a browning 725 sporting but the Blaser was simply on another level.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Wish SKB made a youth 28 as that's what I think she needs.
They do make 20/28 gauge combos. A friend has one. I have a 28/410 two barrel set.

When I was in your shoes a few years ago. We went to Wagram and visit Mid South. She said she needed a shorter gun as she's short, and especially some of the newer Browning guns didn't feel right. She knew she liked my SKB 28/.410 but wanted a 20.

Given that Mid South has what seems to be 1000 o/u's in stock, she was able to find one that worked for her. She looked mostly at Brownings and Berettas. She ended up with an Ithaca SKB and we got out $400 under our original budget. She was leaning hard towards a citori that had been shortened when she pulled the SKB down. It was built in the 60's and is a much finer gun than the price would have indicated. It looked like a gun that wasn't shot much but had some buckle rash on the stock.

The gun doesn't seem like it's been cut down (to me) much as I shoot it just fine and I'm 6'3. She took it out the next weekend and won money shooting it at a fundraiser.

Personally I think she likes the balance of the gun better. It's a little bit like shoes; some people can't wear Nike's and some people think New Balance are way too wide. As an example, I can hardly hit anything with a remington 870. It doesn't "fit" right and I have to contort my body to get the right sight picture which means I have a bad tendency to yank my head off the stock.

So have your GF pick one out that she likes the feel of.