Best job you ever had

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
And by best I don't mean pay I mean a job you just enjoyed. Minimum wage job got me to thinking i've done few different things and some jobs while were work they were just fun even if didn't pay much. I had ball working at Breaks Interstate Park on Ky/Va line when was in early 20s didn't make much but I looked forward every day to going to work can't say that for most other jobs I've had

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'd bout figure most of our most enjoyable jobs were in younger days when our body's felt great. I could only imagine working in Denali sounds great

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
After I retired from state work and spent a couple of years getting the farm right I started working at Virginia International Raceway as a corner worker. That turned into being the Flag Chief about 8 years. That, in turn, led to working for Grand Am Road Racing on pit road and the start stand, including about 10 years for the 24 hrs. of Daytona and also pit road and eventually Race Director for the Ferrari Challenge. The cars and folks were great fun but the travel really got tiring. I miss it in many ways but in others, not at all.

double

Twelve Pointer
I can not lie finance manager at my current dealership is my favorite job ever. Most people hate the job I truly love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Working on my uncles chicken/cow farm. Got to operate equipment almost every day and I just simply enjoyed the work. Never got paid for it I did it for fun

looking for a “career” I can enjoy currently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
In the mid 70s my dad had to retire early due to a series of heart attacks that resulted in a quadruple bypass where only one worked and the docs gave him 6 months to a year. I had just graduated from NCSU and was working part time at Sears but was having trouble finding a full time job. Pop convinced the owner of Loch Haven Golf Club in my old hometown to hire me as manager, since I had been in the business once before. I had been away from home for six years and I wasn't crazy about moving back to such a small town. But it was really good money and we lived free in an A frame on the property. The place was in rough shape so I worked really hard to build up membership and get things going again. I knew nearly all the players and my assistant was a man who had coached baseball when I was a boy and he was really easy to work with. I also knew a lot of the business people in town, most importantly the guys who delivered for Budweiser and Miller. Long story short, Pop was there almost every day and he loved it when I'd go home for lunch or to run errands and I'd leave him in charge. I knew he was letting his buddies play free and I never said a word about it. The place started making money again and we had tournaments and other fun stuff and I was really probably the happiest I've ever been. Then the owner who was in the steel industry in Pa. started showing up and trying to get involved in the business, but he was only screwing things up. Without my knowledge he contracted with a chicken farmer to have them dump chicken manure on the fairways, IN JULY! I also soon noticed he was pretty much an alcoholic. He was in the shop one evening when the players were all gone and my wife and 1 year old son came to pick me up so we could go to dinner. He was drunk and on the phone and after waiting a half hour of so the kid started getting fussy and the guy turned to my wife and told her to shut the damn kid up. I tossed the keys on the counter and we left. Next day I gave him my notice. Up til then that was the best job I ever had. I later figured out the three golf courses he owned were supposed to lose money so he could use them as a tax writeoff.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ive only had 3 in my life and I wouldn't say I enjoyed any of them.
The job I am in now is by far the best I will ever have due to pay, benefits and location.
Unfortunately where I work is transitioning into shutting down mode. I don't know how much longer I have there, but I definitely won't be able to make it to retirement age like I had hoped.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Doing it now, selling real estate, specializing in land...Get to get in the woods, take pictures and sell it.. :)

I did enjoy my years with Deere, started as a Service Training Instructor, then Area Service Manager for 65 dealers in Virginia, then a Territory Manager in the Piedmont, we took sales from 7-23 million in 7 years...Lot of travel, lot of shows, met a ton of great people, also won trips to Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Hawaii, the Bahamas, Mexico, etc...

Right now, I would just as live go to Badin Lake or the coast of NC fishing... :)

JD1107

Cart boy at a high dollar golf course. Was 16 making 300 a weekend and playing free golf. Pro I worked for was one of a kind. Gave me a free set of Taylor made clubs and took care of his employees. Private Tournaments were the best. Imagine being 16 cleaning carts and finding left over un opened pony bottles and cigars! Always made sure my dad was picking me up from those shifts so I didn’t get in trouble for stinking like a strip club.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Navy SERE instructor.

(Bonus; met my future wife there, too!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fisheries observer for the fall LMGN flounder fishery on the outer banks. Getting crusty old fishermen to let you tag along on the boat was the hardest part. Getting up early and seeing daily sunrises on the Pamlico and measuring fish was enjoyable. Mostly worked 4-6 hours in the morning, did paperwork for another hour or two, then had the rest of the afternoon free.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Outdoor programs director at a summer camp in the SC mountains while in college. I got to hike and camp all summer got all the food I wanted to eat and got a paycheck at the end

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Life Guard in Myrtle Beach 3 summers in late 70's and sporting clays instructor for couple of years. Got to shoot free every weekend......

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I just put in my resignation with my last employer, construction steel, and have been in metals for over ten years, I won't miss it ever. I'm currently in the process of rebooting my career. I'm not sure where I'm headed but I'm really enjoying the process of figuring that out. I'd say, as a single guy, un-employment has been my favorite job. I've had a job nearly every day of my life since I was twelve, this is my first "retirement" and it's fantastic. I actually look forward to getting back at it but the repreve has been life altering to say the least.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Last private company I worked for. Climbing the biggest trees in Charlotte, working for some of the most prestigious properties in the state, and in surrounding areas. I was built like a gorilla and could move through the trees like a monkey. Thrills every day almost. Never the same. Adrenaline rush almost daily. Workin at heights regularly over 70-80ft. Climbing trees to 110-120ft.

Got a chance to get my foot in the door at a cushier job for a $10K cut but with excellent benefits. Got tired of traveling in short notice though I loved the work. Took it. 14 months later got a $16K promotion, making more money than I ever have, working less than I ever have, which means only 40hr a week. Miss the work of the previous job but as a single dad, can’t refuse the money, benefits, and hours now.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Being a nurse, because all I do is play cards all day...

Sorry couldn't resist. But, truthfully, being an emergency nurse has been my most rewarding, fulfilling, frustrating and downright depressing career. I love it.

Ditto... if only the staffing issues and unrealistic ratios it would be perfect

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Where I work now. I applied and was accepted to the position I talked about months ago. I make less money, but my family is happier. I'm happier. Great culture. Great area.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
When I was 16 I got a job working for a small landscaping business. That’s where I learned to operate a tractor and track loader. The money was good for a teenager and I got to drive a brand new powerstroke all the time which was way nicer than what I owned at 16.