Best gun storage options

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I spent less than a grand on my Liberty FatBoy.

I could be wrong, but I think that’s what it was. It’s a good size. Happy with it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m mistaken about the price, I guess. I honestly can’t remember what I spent.

I bought it at gander mountain.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Going to be a bunch at the DDC next month.
Look ahead then go there to make offer or get show price. Lots of gun shops that go or dont go do to high cost of renting a space offer sales and discounts around the show time also.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a Drake. solid 1/4" steel all the way around sides and all. Made in Roxboro, NC and Gregg is a nice a guy as you will ever meet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought a Liberty Tactical 24 from Talton's. They know their product really well and can answer any question without having to look it up. The delivery crew had to go up 22 steps and down three, but had the right equipment and knew how to use it. Once in place and leveled, the delivery crew was very patient and explained the warranty, the lock, everything I would ever need to know. They are great folks.

Where ever you get it, do consider having them install it. Talton's charged me $300 for upstairs, but it was well worth it.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Academy was having a sale last week on gun safes, but I didn’t look closely at what they were offering.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I love my Drake safe. Pricey, but they are solid. I got the biggest one they made. I don't want to move it. The floor of my gun room had some drywall mud gooped up on it from sloppy contractors. The safe wobbled on it for about a week. Now, you'd never know it was there.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep your eye on the Yard Sales pages on FB. I picked a like new 20 gun Liberty Centurion with lights and dehumidifier for $250 a couple of months back....

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
He actually is in Chesterfield.
Thanks!! Don't know why I always think Cheraw. He also advised me to get a white safe if it's going to be in a garage. He said, "How many burgundy refrigerators or freezers do you see. You have to think like a thief. And you have to look real hard to see the handle and dial from the street.".

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Going to be a bunch at the DDC next month.
Look ahead then go there to make offer or get show price. Lots of gun shops that go or dont go do to high cost of renting a space offer sales and discounts around the show time also.
And if they refuse your offer go back sunday afternoon and see if its still there. Sometimes theyll sell it just so they dont have to tote it back

navywolf

Six Pointer
I own two safes, one being more than half a ton and the other a gander mountain safe and I probably won't buy another one without knowing how the sides are reinforced.

Most safe manufacturers go to extremes to explain how solid their door is and how it can prevent theft, but the sides and back are your quickest points of entry. Many safes can be open in less than 15 minutes with a good cutting blade. Feel free to check youtube.

I intend to move to a smaller footprint that can easily be spaced out in the house, something like SecureIt. The guns aren't any more secure than they would be in a safe, but I can have them in a variety of places.

Safes are great for keeping precious items protected in a fire if the fire department can get there in time. From what I've learned though, not all safes will truly secure the items from theft.

waitup

Four Pointer
I intend to move to a smaller footprint that can easily be spaced out in the house, something like SecureIt. The guns aren't any more secure than they would be in a safe, but I can have them in a variety of places.

Safes are great for keeping precious items protected in a fire if the fire department can get there in time. From what I've learned though, not all safes will truly secure the items from theft.

I'm in the market as well and this is the route I'm thinking makes the most sense.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With no intent of derailing this thread, I thought I'd throw this out there;

If you own ANY guns worth having, don't put off doing SOME thing (to secure them) while waiting to do the PERFECT thing. In other words, something is better than nothing. We all know how easy some gun safes can be defeated, but in the real world, very few are opened in place. In almost every case that I'm aware of (or investigated personally) the theft involved removing the safe and then opening it at a second location. No safe is going to keep them out in these circumstances.

So with that said, the first thing you must prepare for is the typical "smash and grab" B&E which make up 99+% of all forcible entries. In most cases they're in and out in less than 10 minutes typically, and they only take what they can readily and easily carry. Most of these crooks will carry nothing more than a screwdriver for a "burglary tool" and that won't get them very far if you have much of anything in the way of a secure container. Crooks don't want to linger and they generally don't want to make any noise that might attract attention.

I said all that to make this point; An inexpensive "job box" (Knaack, Jobsite, RIDGID, etc) will likely keep your stuff (guns, ammo, laptops/tablets, etc) from being taken IF you don't leave any tools lying around that will allow them to defeat it. While you're waiting to buy something "better", this option will be money well spent.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I’m looking, too. Very much budget-conscious and space limited.
My primary objective is to keep the guns out of the hands of kids, visiting friends of those kids, or any quick grab as opposed to fire or dedicated thief.

Don’t worry - my kids are taught well and trustworthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
My primary objective is to keep the guns out of the hands of kids, visiting friends of those kids, or any quick grab as opposed to fire or dedicated thief.

I’ll respond to myself:

hawk - go get a safe. You will appreciate the security and a place to keep important papers, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk