Best Food (small businesses)

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Longhorns is good and consistent. went Friday but it was PACKED. went to outback and got disappointed.

Poormans Grill on 264 between Greenville and Washington. caf style

Lee's Country Kitchen. Caf style

crab shack in washington on john small avenue (264) Has some of the best seafood. they don't fry unless you want it like that.

Asheville. I love the topos place. expensive, but love having a huge variety of really good food.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Greenville, nc
Sakuras Asian Express. Best Asian food around. one of my favorite restraunts in Greenville. Not a chinese restaurant. Fresh homemade food. Husband, wife run.

I have not had Asian food in Greenville since I was served deep fried cockroach in my fried rice. Did not see them until I had late night leftovers out of the fridge. Needless to say I quickly let go of all the penny draft beer I had consumed that evening into the trashcan.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How could I forget.

Grimesland:

Dees Grill has great breakfast and burgers.

taco cart across from dees has the best mexican around. tacos, burritos, tortas, ect. Mexican store next to the cart has tomales but have not tried them. Heard they are good.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have not had Asian food in Greenville since I was served deep fried cockroach in my fried rice. Did not see them until I had late night leftovers out of the fridge. Needless to say I quickly let go of all the penny draft beer I had consumed that evening into the trashcan.
it is not Chinese. All very fresh. Meals come out one at a time.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Ward's grill in Whiteville. Worked there as a teen for Jr Mckeel who just passed away recently. Daughter Candle who was born while I was working there is running the show now. Cheeseburgers and hotdogs are the BOMB STRAIGHT UP. Ate there today
before heading back downeast as they would say......

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
If you're ever around Pembroke in Robeson Cty. don't miss an opportunity to eat at Fuller's. He used to be located at Lumberton on 211 by the interstate but the Lumber River and two hurricanes flooded him out twice and he moved to higher ground in Pembroke. This is barbeque, home styled everything, some might call it soul food and it is good for the soul. There are also some SENC specialties, best of which is liver pudding in a casing. You owe it to yourself to drop by Mr. Locklear's place and try some of it all.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Great thread !

asheville: Korea House closed down but I’ve heard Stone Bowl is a close second

Black Mountain: @41magnum , what was the name of that Mexican joint we went to I really enjoyed it

candler: Doc Brown’s had killer bbq when I ate there last year ( maybe @appmtnhntr has a more recent update)

weaverville:
-Blue Mountain Pizza- definitely higher end gourmet pizza. Not really my crowd so I prefer to take out
-Soba- great sushi and Japanese food

Burnsville:
-Pig n Grits- KILLER bbq. Great breakfast too
- Lil Smokies and Bantam Chef- 2 separate down home type diners. Bantam might be a little better food. Lil Smokies just has that old time feel that I enjoy and their coffee is dang good
-Highway 55- cheap diner food...they make the best $5 jalapeño cheesesteak I’ve ever had. Actually the only thing I’ve ever ordered lol
-If you’re headed to the woods or the river and need something on the go, just swing in Prices Creek store and getcha a breakfast sammich. Don’t bother specifying whether you want mayo or not...it’s gonna end up on there either way depending on who’s working. But I’ve grown to appreciate that as well

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Anyone driving along 40 at the west Asheville/Enka exit.
Stop at “The Madness”
It’s burgers, sushi, bar food, and a well appointed bar with a patio.

owner is a local guy who saw the concept somewhere else.
it’s awesome.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Black Mountain: @41magnum , what was the name of that Mexican joint we went to I really enjoyed it

Burnsville:
-Pig n Grits- KILLER bbq. Great breakfast too

Its called Ole Guacamole's
ALSO in Black Mountain we loved Wood Fired Pizza and Coach House Seafood and Steak and Louise's Kitchen and Black Mountain Bistro

BUT Kilwins is THE place for ice cream and fudge desserts!

the kids ate at Pig n Grits last weekend and loved it too!

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Zacks in Burlington...good hotdog joint. I’ve been going since I was a kid. I get the bacon combos with chili, fries, and a glass coke. Good stuff.

one of my college professors, actually the only one that had any common sense, was related to the owner of Zack’s. Ate many a hot dog in Zack’s back more years than I want to admit.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Its called Ole Guacamole's
ALSO in Black Mountain we loved Wood Fired Pizza and Coach House Seafood and Steak and Louise's Kitchen and Black Mountain Bistro

BUT Kilwins is THE place for ice cream and fudge desserts!

the kids ate at Pig n Grits last weekend and loved it too!
Thanks for the reminder. And I’m glad they tried PnG. Kicking myself for not recommending it . Glad they ended up there

thandy

Ten Pointer
There used to be a small place off old 421 between Yadkinville and Hamptonville that smoked there BBQ each day in a smoker out back. As a kid I worked the summers cleaning up the flea market down the Rd. Went there one day and came back to eat I opened the bun to add some sauce on my 2nd sandwich and there was a 2in cockroach laying on top of the BBQ. I kept the other sandwich down but did eat that one or go back.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
it is not Chinese. All very fresh. Meals come out one at a time.

We are fans of Ninja. When I lived in Simpson speedy wok was my go to chinese place.

Theres a Washington crab co here in greenville now as well.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Acre Station Meat Farm on Hwy 32 between Washington and Plymouth. The grill in the grocery store has a lot of stuff for breakfast and lunch but I normally get either a cheese biscuit or sausage dog for breakfast and a Meat Farm burger for lunch.

Hunting club is mile or so from there have eaten many many egg and cheese biscuits there....fresh links are my jam though....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Longhorns is good and consistent. went Friday but it was PACKED. went to outback and got disappointed.

Poormans Grill on 264 between Greenville and Washington. caf style

Lee's Country Kitchen. Caf style

crab shack in washington on john small avenue (264) Has some of the best seafood. they don't fry unless you want it like that.

Asheville. I love the topos place. expensive, but love having a huge variety of really good food.

Lee's is good stuff, have you tried G&K on 10th.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

heck, it was sanitized in the deep fryer- just more protein!👍

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In NC.. Come Back Shack in Boone is my favorite place. Several other favorites that I have found in Ohio, NE on hunting trips and will not even begin to talk about all the local places I have eaten that were just awesome on business trips around this and several other countries.

None of it really tops Conman's in June though.. for all you guys that never show up there, you are simply missing out.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
won't touch speedy wok.
g&I caf I have been to for breakfast once. it was good.

where is the wash seafood at in gville? Same stuff/prices?
I like the one in Washington. They always hook me up well and I have yet to get anything bad from them.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In NC.. Come Back Shack in Boone is my favorite place. Several other favorites that I have found in Ohio, NE on hunting trips and will not even begin to talk about all the local places I have eaten that were just awesome on business trips around this and several other countries.

None of it really tops Conman's in June though.. for all you guys that never show up there, you are simply missing out.
this conman's in June is intriguing but somewhat of a secret I gather. lol
I can understand that since it is a public forum. I used to be part of a similar bunch in Delaware. Gathering started relatively small and the food was incredible. had to move to a bigger venue and we ended up feeding the entire town of Bayview. 🤣
I changed but was always fun to catch up with folks. Mostly fishing oriented but some hunting.