Best Exercise For Bow?

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
Hey y’all,
Just wondering if anybody had some good arm exercises they’ve found to get ready for bow season?
I’m wanting to try it this year, but know my arm strength pulling like on a bowstring is lacking. Ha.
Any tips?

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Honestly I would say shooting a bow . I have never found a good substitute. Turn the poundage down and as you feel more comfortable turn the poundage up. Stand 5 yds from the target and just practice your technique. Dont worry about being accurate or where the arrows hit the target. I used to shoot up close with my eyes closed just to get used to new bows and work on technique. When you become comfortable with your bow and have the poundage turned up retune or have someone help you tune the bow. You will be ready to shoot for accuracy and at distance. Repetitive technique is the hardest part about shooting a bow.

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
T
Honestly I would say shooting a bow . I have never found a good substitute. Turn the poundage down and as you feel more comfortable turn the poundage up. Stand 5 yds from the target and just practice your technique. Dont worry about being accurate or where the arrows hit the target. I used to shoot up close with my eyes closed just to get used to new bows and work on technique. When you become comfortable with your bow and have the poundage turned up retune or have someone help you tune the bow. You will be ready to shoot for accuracy and at distance. Repetitive technique is the hardest part about shooting a bow.
Thanks man, I agree.
Rows and resistance band work

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i will reccommend one not to do. I kept a fairly heavy dumbell to do curls with at a desk. on one of those infamous last reps i screwed up a tendon in my elbow and the only reason i was pushing it was to prep for bow.

my current exercise for bow consists of cocking an xbow :)

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Push ups and sit ups. Work the core, work the chest, work the triceps and shoulders. Along with shooting your bow as much as you can. Start at a low poundage, work your way up.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I think Contender gave the best answer and can attest to that first hand. I started out at 55lbs and in only 2 years I was up to 67 lbs and just moved up to 70 and can pull it back no problem now...no lifting at all, just shooting. That said, if you are already working out anyway, and want some excercises to help, here is an article from Bowhunting.com with a list of good exercises for bowhunting. if you are going to up your weight, just make sure you can pull the bow back while the bow remains perpendicular to the ground. Meaning....if you have to point the bow in the air or use your 'hips' to pull it back its too heavy.

http://www.bowhunter.com/bow-fitness/workout-routines-for-bowhunters/

mattharris0414

Bent over rows with dumbells from a bench works all the needed muscles to pull a bow. But.... mix in shoulder flys and your extended arm will thank you on those long hold shots.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's a little more simple for us traditional shooters I think. I have one longbow that's 5-7 pounds heavier than what I normally shoot. 5-7# is a bunch when there's no let-off!
About 3 times a week when I'm competing I take it to the practice range along with my regular rig. I shoot short blank bale sessions, no aiming, just form, and allow 90 seconds recovery time between shots. Makes going back to my normal draw weight bow seem light, almost effortless.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Shoot a poundage you can pull back in the beginning. If you shoot enough, increasing it a couple pounds at a time will come. With that said, I’m not a big time bow shooter. A couple weeks before the season, I’ll shoot one arrow at 10, 15, 20 and 25. If they all go where I want’em to, I may do that a couple times a week but as for getting out and shooting over and over. It’s not for me.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
This doesn’t answer your question but probably supports those who are saying shooting the bow helps the most. My 30 year old son is in top shape and works out with weights daily but ask him to draw my bow and it is comical. There is more to it than strength. In order to draw a bow a lot of different muscle groups must work in unison and that can only be strengthen through actually drawing the bow.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This doesn’t answer your question but probably supports those who are saying shooting the bow helps the most. My 30 year old son is in top shape and works out with weights daily but ask him to draw my bow and it is comical. There is more to it than strength. In order to draw a bow a lot of different muscle groups must work in unison and that can only be strengthen through actually drawing the bow.

This, and also make sure you are using proper draw technique. I'm not a little dude, and I tore a muscle because i was not using proper technique. Now that i know the technique, it's easy for me.