Best emergency first aid kit for dog owners

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve been using whatever first aid stuff the old lady had in hand, with the exception of a stapler, and I’ve just used the last of the staples up on my knuckle headed cut dog that got ahold of a ground hog and come out a little worse for the wear...

I’m looking to get a really good dog specific kit , with stapler and other essentials included, to keep on hand around the farm. It seems that the mutts around here are forever getting barbwire cuts, chewed on by some critter, or some other injury that requires more than blue wound spray.

What do you guys recommend?

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve been using whatever first aid stuff the old lady had in hand, with the exception of a stapler, and I’ve just used the last of the staples up on my knuckle headed cut dog that got ahold of a ground hog and come out a little worse for the wear...

I’m looking to get a really good dog specific kit , with stapler and other essentials included, to keep on hand around the farm. It seems that the mutts around here are forever getting barbwire cuts, chewed on by some critter, or some other injury that requires more than blue wound spray.

What do you guys recommend?

Found it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Found it.
Appreciate it!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, and quite frankly mine gets used just as much for humans as dogs. So it comes in quite handy.

You can go by WalMart and get fishmox or if you have a source for it get it where ever (amoxicillin or penicillin pills) that and benadryl will go a long way if your dog get snake bit by a copperhead or cottonmouth. If it gets bit by a rattler and you don't have dex give them what you have but either way get them to a vet ASAP. They are in grave danger.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll start collecting up some “dog only” supplies to keep in the truck and the sxs.
Never really fooled with sutures before, are there any advantages to them over the staples? Or instances where the staples won’t work and sutures will?
I mean hell, I can order one of them practice kits and learn if it’s to my benefit

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll start collecting up some “dog only” supplies to keep in the truck and the sxs.
Never really fooled with sutures before, are there any advantages to them over the staples? Or instances where the staples won’t work and sutures will?
I mean hell, I can order one of them practice kits and learn if it’s to my benefit
Sutures work great for most applications. Places they don't is where the skin is extremely thin. Places like the flaps on the inside of the flank, also places where the skin is usually real tight, like on the face or jaw. If you want to practice. Get something like a boston butt practice on it then skin it out and cook it. It is a win win.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, and quite frankly mine gets used just as much for humans as dogs. So it comes in quite handy.

You can go by WalMart and get fishmox or if you have a source for it get it where ever (amoxicillin or penicillin pills) that and benadryl will go a long way if your dog get snake bit by a copperhead or cottonmouth. If it gets bit by a rattler and you don't have dex give them what you have but either way get them to a vet ASAP. They are in grave danger.

When you say “dex” what are you referring to exactly?

I assume you mean dexamethasone, but I wanna be sure you don’t mean dextroamphetamine.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hound Dog Country in Creedmoor. That is a long way for you. You can get the antibiotics off the web. The dex is another issue. I get mine through other avenues.

Reactions: RJ1

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I got ya man. Not sure what direction to look for it I’d imagine it’d be easier if a guy knew a veterinarian pretty good.