Best cracklings since last hog killing....

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
for what pray tell??
Bear oil is great for frying an egg in the morning or anything you might want to sizzle in a pan. It's great for cooking as a replacement for oil in cornbread for sure and many other things. We use it like lard and while many people no longer use hog fat for cooking, we use the bear oil in biscuits and anything that asks for a measure of cooking oil.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Hog cracklings use to make a good bait for hole sets for fox. The best thing about them kept the bag on truck seat and ate them while checking traps

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
The knife to the left..old Hickory? Old one?? Looks worn in the middle. I have several well used ones.

thoma018

Button Buck
Oh yea, both old hickory butcher knives----I have no idea how many hogs they have butchered since the 1950's.....usually we killed hogs 2 times a year,maybe early december and again mid Jan to Mid Feb--3-4 at a time, longs days and hard work and always a big pan of baked sweet potatoes to grab for a bite to eat as we never really stopped all day long. Usually finished up the day with stuffing the sausage in the chitlins, salting the hams, shoulders and side meat and pouring off the lard from the big black wash pots and grabing a few of those crackings to go with one last sweet potato. Those knives have a history but haven't seen a hog killing in nigh 30 years....modern living, I reckon.