Best brush/briar pants for the $$?

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Looking for the best value in briar/brush pants. So far I've looked at Gamehide, LL bean and Dan's. I'm somewhat leaning towards Dan's, but I am open to suggestions. I'm not too worried about the cost, just looking for a pair that will hold up for a few seasons of abuse.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Used to be Wicks, hard to beat Dan's for the $ now. They have several weights, personally I have found the lighter weight holds up good yet is still tough.
I like the zippers on the Dan's pants, they look well made. I remember wick's well, he put out a little book with every tracking system they sold. That book shortened my learning curve with a telemetry box back in the day.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the zippers on the Dan's pants, they look well made. I remember wick's well, he put out a little book with every tracking system they sold. That book shortened my learning curve with a telemetry box back in the day.
Yep, he sold good stuff. I hated when he closed. I guess dipping his "wick" became more important so he decided to go that route. Cost him his business.

ncnat

Ten Pointer
I been using these for 6 years, got 5 years out of my first pair. They're made by Southside Outdoor Wear. Godwin's and others put their name on them. They can be cheaper at other online stores. Do a search for Southside Outdoor Wear.

Last edited:

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Used to be Wicks, hard to beat Dan's for the $ now. They have several weights, personally I have found the lighter weight holds up good yet is still tough.
I second Dan’s. I have a pair of chaps I’ve wore in the woods the 2nd year and still holding up good. I had a pair of badlands that only made it 6 months

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Y'all ever heard of stone creek hounds? They claim to have the material and original designs from Wick outdoor works.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I’m a big fan of Dan’s myself I currently own about 5 different pairs of briar pants and the only pairs I wear are a pair of Dan’s or if it’s early season dove hunting on a clean field I wear a thin pair of Columbia’s.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m a big fan of Dan’s myself I currently own about 5 different pairs of briar pants and the only pairs I wear are a pair of Dan’s or if it’s early season dove hunting on a clean field I wear a thin pair of Columbia’s.
I have a pair of Dan's overalls that I love to wear when I am driving deer dogs, a brier isn't going to get through them. Bad thing is it better be below 60 degrees or you will be soaked because not one drop of air is coming through them either. I originally got them for coon hunting but I have since repurposed them.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I currently have a couple of pair of Gamehide, mainly because they were a Christmas gift, but they’re holding up well.

My next pair will likely be Dan’s

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a pair of Dan's overalls that I love to wear when I am driving deer dogs, a brier isn't going to get through them. Bad thing is it better be below 60 degrees or you will be soaked because not one drop of air is coming through them either. I originally got them for coon hunting but I have since repurposed them.
I have a pair of waxed bibs like that. When I put them on I am bullet proof AND waterproof, but it had better be below 40 degrees if I'm walking. I hate sweating.

PG2

Ten Pointer
Dan’s, I wear the bibs and go through green briars that want to eat me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
I have a pair of single layer Filson chaps that I got for rabbit hunting when I was 17. I have used them for over 20 years and still going strong, one small hole from barbed wire along the way. They can get warm though.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
I have a pair of single layer Filson chaps that I got for rabbit hunting when I was 17. I have used them for over 20 years and still going strong, one small hole from barbed wire along the way. They can get warm though.
They might cost you in the beginning but they last!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The best aren’t made any more. Duluth trading made the best briar pants I have ever worn but they quit making them. I have three pair.