Best boots

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
on some days i would be inclined to throw on some old grey nikes if i had a lot of walking to do. But after being bombarded with ticks on my ankles this year i decided that i no longer need to be doing that

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
View attachment 92485Love em. Can’t say I had them in any really gnarly stuff, cause turkeys don’t live there generally, but they’ve been to 4900’. They did everything I wanted em to👍 As said above, socks matter…
Which socks did you go with ? I may try to catch the Crispi on sale prior to 2023. I went with Merrel MOAB , love the hiker / gaiter combo. However I think my feet were wet from sweat not leaking

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have Danner Pronghorn snake boots for woods and shallow swampy areas. For deeper water I use LaCrosse rubber boots, though they both get hot when it gets above 75 degrees. The Danners have fended of snake bites and given me confidence going through snaky areas. I wear RedHead Treestand socks throughout turkey season.

Jim

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Lugged a pack around on my crispi crossovers for a while. They will be my go to hunting boot especially for turkey, BUT Id sure like a stiffer sole for backpacking in super rocky terrain. I couldn’t get the chacos off my pack fast enough the other day.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm reading this thread today trying to decide if I need another pair of boots...

I'm looking for the best pair of boots to walk all day that may include through damp/wet/snow conditions.

I've got rubber boots, which are the driest, but I hate walking long distances in them. They don't give good support and my feet sweat like crazy in them. I have Danner Sharptail Gore-tex which I really like for comfort, support, and toughness/durability, but when they get really wet or I'm slogging through stuff all day, they eventually leak. I'm on my third pair of Danners and they always leak before they totally wear out. I recently got a pair of LLBean Main Hunting Shoe (bean boots), for wetter conditions. They are comfortable, and dry, but the support is lacking. They don't have much ankle support at all, and I can feel every twig underfoot. In addition, I was walking down a bush hogged path last week and a stick weed just poked right through the rubber of the instep of them (like butter) into my foot! Just a simple 5" weed stalk. I also have a pair of Salomon Quest II hikers, which are super comfortable, light, and dry (awesome hikers), but they are pretty low. I prefer an 8" boot for tromping through thick and/or wet stuff for the protection.

Dry or rocky, or steep terrain, I've got it covered, but I'm concerned about slogging through cattails, ditches, bogs, etc. Last time I ended up on a trip with this type of terrain, I ended up having to sweat in rubber boots all week.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
@sky hawk Not all goretex boots are made alike. Most use a goretex upper but the best use a goretex bootie for 360 protection. But there’s a limit and trade offs in that also.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Kenetrek are what I use for everything. Many many miles on them tracking other people's deer and they still feel great. I've been through Danners and Meindl were my last boot and they don't compare to Kenetrek.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Check out Meindl boots. I have the Vakuum Hunters and like them very much…
Just bought the same pair, they’re lower than what I was expecting, that’s what I get for buying on-line. Wore them one day. Do they take a while to break in, they seem very stiff to me. Does this get better?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^Any boot that’s made for the mountains is gonna be stiff. Yes, it will get more comfortable but they’re still gonna be stiff.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Just bought the same pair, they’re lower than what I was expecting, that’s what I get for buying on-line. Wore them one day. Do they take a while to break in, they seem very stiff to me. Does this get better?
Yea, they definitely loosen up. Will take 15-20 miles, I think… buts that’s any high quality boot.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
On a cheap note…I was in Walmart while out of town. I saw they had some ozark Trail waterproof camo boots. They didn’t look terrible for 50$.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the standard boot for me is the 18" lacrosse grange uninsulated almost the cheapest you could get UNTIL brandon came to town.
I had to have a new pair and I am too ashamed to admit how much I paid for them. The first ones I bought eons ago were $40.
They are perfect for me though because i dont have but one hilly place to play with the turkeys and I love them for deer as well.
But dang they aint worth that much.