Best boots

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
wow! Like my truck, these things have grown in value.

not sure what I'm looking at here, but this is showing them at $132?! That seems crazy

ETA (duh a link would help). https://www.dannerfactorystore.com/...retex-hiking-boots-brown-pkyflgc16-p-401.html

Here's the style I have at that same link you posted. There's no option to order width sizes there and it seems suspicious. https://www.dannerfactorystore.com/...-hiking-boots-dark-brown-asvphei83-p-547.html

Here's my boots at Danner's site. https://www.danner.com/men/hike/mountain-light-ii-5-brown.html

The $132 seems to go to be true to me.

<>< Fish

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I like my kenetrek mountain extreme. I put a lot of miles on them tracking deer for folks and I think the higher arch has helped my plantar fasciitis.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of best…anybody have dealings with Darn Tough Socks out of Vermont? Or any other ‘swear by’ type merino socks? Lightweight of course, this being a turkey thread;)

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Speaking of best…anybody have dealings with Darn Tough Socks out of Vermont? Or any other ‘swear by’ type merino socks? Lightweight of course, this being a turkey thread;)
I have gotten a couple of pairs of their socks. I like the merino lightweight. I use them for early season deer and will this year for turkeys.

Hookspur

Button Buck
Why doesn't anyone make a great boot without those stupid "speed lacing" hooks at the top? If you've ever busted through thick, gnarly underbrush and had your laces pulled off the hooks, repeatedly, you know what I'm talking about. I prefer a 6" boot (have worn Keen Targhee II mids for years), and there's absolutely NO REASON why you need hooks for the final one or two lacing points. Just put a danged eye grommet in their place, and be done with it! As you can tell, this is my main gripe about boots on the market, and I feel pretty strongly about it. :) Russell custom-made are an option, but it just annoys the hell out of me that no commercially produced boot builders recognize the stupidity of this design flaw. There; I've said it, and I feel better. :)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Why doesn't anyone make a great boot without those stupid "speed lacing" hooks at the top? If you've ever busted through thick, gnarly underbrush and had your laces pulled off the hooks, repeatedly, you know what I'm talking about. I prefer a 6" boot (have worn Keen Targhee II mids for years), and there's absolutely NO REASON why you need hooks for the final one or two lacing points. Just put a danged eye grommet in their place, and be done with it! As you can tell, this is my main gripe about boots on the market, and I feel pretty strongly about it. :) Russell custom-made are an option, but it just annoys the hell out of me that no commercially built boots recognize the stupidity of this design flaw. There; I've said it, and I feel better. :)

agree 100% on the speedhooks,,, I like them fine but at the top it needs regular eye grommets,,,

jbcook

Spike
I've been wearing Solomon quest goretex for a few years. I wear darn tough sock nearly everyday and love them. I have several different types.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I only use a pair of columbias,
and redhead and muck and rocky and Magellan and merrell and danner and Wolverine and….

I have more boots than my wife has shoes.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Darn tough, smart wool, whatever, I can’t stand them. One of those markets hunting socks the other is a little too woke. They are hot as crap too for just a general sock. And on the speed laces, I hate them but need them. My calves and ankles are ginormous. It’d take Me half an hour to get boots on with out it. I often mash the speed things shut or pull them open.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I have had this boot by Chippewa for several years. It's like a Russell boot with the rear zipper to get on and off easily. It's more of an upland boot you need to keep them oiled and not really waterproof but a very nice and comfortable for the price. Much less than a Russell boot. I got mine from clothing world outfitters in Columbia sc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-091607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-091607_Chrome.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 10

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Rocky pro lite snake lace up boots finally arrived today. Surprisingly they fit very well and are comfortable. I think this is the first time I have bought shoes or boots online that fit!

Bperry

Six Pointer
Lots of good advice.

Danner Snake boots are the most comfortable I’ve ever owned. They leak

Irish Setter Vapertec feel great but will eventually leak.

Rocky’s and Laccrosse’s are fine if you don’t hunt a lot.

As far as that goes I’ve never had a pair of none rubber boots, not leak within two

Rubber Muck and Irish setters don’t leak but if I walk a lot my feet get sweaty and not a great walking boot.

Russell’s I’ll let you know this year. I just got a pair. They feal great but they are not waterproof

a lot has to do with what you need and how much you hunt. If you hunt a little anything will work. If you hunt a lot comfort makes a big deal.

if you want comfort Danners or Irish Setters but for the price you could get 2 pair of red head and a few more years of fry feet.

Every pair of boots I’ve owened I take to a local cobbler. Yes they still exist. He adds two large leather loops to each boot and the lace up boots without zippers, he would make me a lace in zipper like we used in the fire service

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Final report on these?
I purchased this pair before the season as well. My final report is I loved them. Very comfortable, my feet never got uncomfortable throughout the season and I hunt in every terrain possible. They give very good support around the ankles as well. Once I found a good sock to pair with them it made it even better. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Couple things. I caught them on sale for ~$230 shipped, I don’t consider that high, or even a little pricey, for good boots.

Secondly, I can’t afford cheap boots. I’ve spent a lifetime in the woods, or on a concrete shop floor. Cheap boots cost a helluva lot more than good ones…
Yeah. To each his own. I spent most of my adult life in the Army and wore whatever they issued me. Never had any problems. Army issued boots and Army issued socks.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Any boots have good arch supports? I have flat feet. By the end of deer season, my plantar fasciitis is flaring up. Maybe I should not worry about the boot but use inserts.

Couple things. I caught them on sale for ~$230 shipped, I don’t consider that high, or even a little pricey, for good boots.

Secondly, I can’t afford cheap boots. I’ve spent a lifetime in the woods, or on a concrete shop floor. Cheap boots cost a helluva lot more than good ones…
YES YES YES!!
I have a terrible back with multiple back surgeries under my belt.
If they help me enjoy the woods without additional back pain, I’m buying them.
I did buy a set of insoles for them and they are great.

I have always heard to buy a good mattress and good boots, because you spend 66% of your time in one or the other.

I view quality boots as an investment, and it’s as simple as that.

“Buy once, cry once”.

At the same time though, I don’t know everyone’s situation, so to each his own but $250 on a pair of boots like Crispi is a bargain in my mind