Best BBQ

6mm250

Eight Pointer
BBQ Recipe
Pig
Wood (If it ain't cooked with wood it ain't BBQ)
Rub
Vinegar or tomato take your pick but the sauce belongs on the SIDE.

Mike

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I grew up eating the Kansas City/Memphis style , red sauce or rub. I do like most of the pullled pork and brisket I have had down here though. I did a search on a travel site for 25 best bbq and it came up with 2 in NC...
Haywood smokehouse in Waynesville and Dillsboro . . .. can anyone vouch for these ?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Whole pig. Eastern. With all that tasty pork skin that just cracks off in pieces the size of notebook paper.... Then the fat dribbles down your arm while eating it.

Hayell yeah ! (y)
That's what I'm talking about.
One hand stripping off some meat, the other wrapped around a cold beer !

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not saying all brisket is bad - I had a brisket cheesesteak yesterday that was excellent. The brisket they slather with sauce in other states and call BBQ doesn't cut it though.
Sounds like you’ve never had the good stuff. If it needs sauce, it needs to be tossed(y)

I love a pig, but pork will never have the depth of flavor that a good brisket does. Pigs are easy, any fool can cook one, bit brisket separates the men from the boys.
5f5f08a24b902d73834a28b571aa27aa.jpg

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Anyone ever had Franklin’s in Austin Texas? If so how was it? Worth it?
I haven't been. My sister lives in Austin. She says it's really good. I trust her opinion. They eat BBQ daily.
Unless it's that yellow stuff , I haven't met met many BBQ samiches I didn't like. I always stop by JDs smokehouse when nearby.
Anyone tried old colony smokehouse in Edenton?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And BBQ is chopped not ground like some places do these days.

Some one said Bill's in Wilson was closed. Parker's in Wilson should close too. That's bad BBQ, at least it was to me.

Grady's in Southern Wayne county had about the best I've eaten, but that was 2+ years ago.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I live just down 301 a few miles from Parker's....I hate it. If I never had to eat there again, or from there again I would be happy. Bill's was ok until his crazy wife took over and run it in the ground. The 2 best Eastern NC BBQ joints are B's in Greenville and Marty's in Wilson. Marty's is co-owned by Bill's son. Skylight Inn is close behind.

Henry's Smokehouse in Greenville, SC is good also.

When my brother lived in Copperas Cove TX, there was a small joint that was great...can't remember the name.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
From my simple Webber grill to this. Yum!

Butt shoulder rubbed with a few spices slow cooked with oak wood and coals, homemade vinegar sauce brushed on while cooking, oh that smell! Once internal temp reaches 200, off it comes and wrap in foil. Wait to cool, tear apart with 2 forks, break up the “bark” into small pieces. (I don’t care for all that fat so I pick most out while shredding). Good stuff! I always make cole slaw to go with it ...

DFBD5D46-E131-488A-8C15-349D954CB9F9.jpegDF440D0F-C698-4B87-B6CF-8B9F94DC8DB2.jpeg54DD1BC0-EB90-454F-9919-F7B7CA2D09B1.jpeg

willb

Eight Pointer

ive had earl campbells bbq in austin and Stubbs in Lubbock but the best was at Saltlick just outside of Austin. BYOB in the parking lot waiting for tables to open

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Obviously BBQ is a matter of acquired taste whether you've been raised on it or lucked into finding something you like. I've seen someone say a place is awful and another comes along and says it's great!;)

I like Lexington style OK but also found Bodacious BBQ in Texas to hit the spot just right. I never could exactly find my heart in the sour vinegar style but if that's all I ever had I'd probably like it.:sick:

When I lived in SC, I found their definition of BBQ sauce to be a combo of mustard & Heinz 57 sauce........I grew to like it but not immediately!

Speaking of the Smokehouse, several years ago I boned out a 150 pound buck and took the whole thing there to be made into chopped BBQ..........having 75 pounds of that is like being in foodie heaven!!:mosh:

Oh yeah, BBQ is a noun......not a freakin verb!!:party:

Wncbowhunter

Ten Pointer
Lots of good Que out there: I enjoy messing around with it myself. Have had good pig from ENC to midwest to Denver to Montana to N California. Thats what is good about bbq. Can be done many ways and be great. Just leave the Mustard for hot dogs. No place for Mustard sauce on good pig. White sauce, that isn’t even worth discussing.

Attachments

• 02C55D2C-5731-4B32-A013-88EFB36983B4.jpeg
    02C55D2C-5731-4B32-A013-88EFB36983B4.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 27

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Damn this thread is making me hungry!!!

I grew up in NE PA and WNY, the only thing cooked there was chicken with a vinegar based sauce. I loved it and still do. But.... when I got stationed at Lejeune I took to cooking Q like a fish to water. Kinda lucky in that there are guys from all over there and you get to hear about and try a lot of different styles. I like ENC style the best. A close second is SC mustard. Didn’t think I’d like it but I did, a lot. Not a fan of ketchup on pork, but love a good apple or peach sauce.
But in the end, I have to go with Justin and brisket. Salt, pepper and cooked on wood. In my opinion, all meat should be cooked with wood.

Never been to any of the big BBQ restaurants y’all talk about, but I love when I see a food truck with a smoker hooked to the bumper.

If you cook your own and can find tri tip, that’s a good cut that you can cook in a couple hours after work. Taste a lot like brisket without all the time involved.

Lastly, if I order a pork sandwich and have to tell them to put the slaw on it, the poor soul taking my order is in for a lecture.

If ya made it this far, sorry for the long post 😂😂😂

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
It’s on my list, haven’t heard anything since his place burnt down though. I watched his YouTube videos when I was starting out with brisket. Good short videos with a bit of humor.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Most of it’s edible and I like brisket and pig but here’s some news.

1. If it’s beef, it ain’t barbecue. Not saying it ain’t good, just saying it’s not real barbecue. So anybody in Texas that fixes “barbecue”, is irrelevant in any kind of grown up barbecue talk.............

2. If you can see the sauce, it ain’t real barbecue. Again, not saying it’s not good, just saying it’s not real barbecue.

I can’t tell you where the best is but I can dam sure tell you where the worst is. Place in Maryville TN called Full Service bbq. There’s always a ton of people lined up at the old gas station converted to a barbecue place. So one day we were doing some stream work down in Townsend and coming back to Knoxville, we decided to stop in there and try it. They should’ve been hung for screwing up a hog like that. In the chopped barbecue was great big chunks of onions and it was swimming in sauce. I took one bite and threw it away. All the guys were like what’s wrong? I told them if they gotta dr up a cooked pig with all that extra crap in it then they needed to learn how to cook a hog.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I dont care what it is, i'll try it. Ive had great bbq in lots of places...remember some bad spots too. If its awful I wont go back, but I will try it first before I knock it.

I dont like anything swimming in sauce, I don't care for that SC style mustard stuff but I will eat it every now and then.

Any cut of hog over wood is my most favorite food on earth

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We were out in OKC last year and had plenty of time and we were just riding around towards the pan handle of Texas. We stumbled across a little place in a strip mall in nowhere OK. I got a brisket sandwich, wife and oldest boy got pulled pork sandwich. They asked for slaw on them and got strange looks. My son asked for some money so he could go to the grocery store to get some vinegar and seasons for a BBQ sauce to go on it. He was upset that there was no sauce on it.

Vann's in Norman OK is a good place to eat

This thread has me craving BBQ. Problem is there is none to be had in New Bern that I am aware of.
Please dot't suggest Moores or Smithfields.
It's a 30 mile trip to either Skylight in Ayden or Kings in Kinston. But thats just the way it is if I want good stuff....

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This thread has me craving BBQ. Problem is there is none to be had in New Bern that I am aware of.
Please dot't suggest Moores or Smithfields.
It's a 30 mile trip to either Skylight in Ayden or Kings in Kinston. But thats just the way it is if I want good stuff....

I would eat Moore's before I drove to Kings. For a fast food joint, Moore's is not bad, I like their fry chicken.