"Best bang for the buck" in trail cameras (public land)

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I only have a few trail cams right now and neither are on the 'high end'. Both probably 7 years old. I wouldn't mind a few more to put up on public land even - where the risk of theft is higher.

One one hand I'd like to get some with wireless connectivity so even if stolen, I'd at least have received the photos, but I'd rather just get some good cameras that work well.

Given that technology usually gets better with time, there ought to be really good options in the $50 range, give or take?

What are you guys liking without breaking the bank?

(By the way, the phrase "best bang for the buck" is certainly relevant in a deer forum, the best bang being the bang that gives him the dirt nap!)

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
The only downside to those is the trigger speed. Set the cams up on a scrape or food source where the deer will be in front of the camera for at least a few seconds so you aren’t getting pics of nothing or just the tail of a deer.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
are the $38 Walmart cameras $10 better than the $28 Walmart cameras? Or is the only difference the camo cover? I've got to replace a plot camera on an open powerline..I don't want to get an expensive camera stolen, so I figured I'd try one of those.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
This is better news than I expected. Thanks folks.

If you wanted to, you could paint the $28 one yourself, just make sure you cover up the transparent spots first. :)

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
are the $38 Walmart cameras $10 better than the $28 Walmart cameras? Or is the only difference the camo cover? I've got to replace a plot camera on an open powerline..I don't want to get an expensive camera stolen, so I figured I'd try one of those.
I have two of the 38 ones and really can't see much difference. Maybe a bit better night shots? But not enough that i would pay the 10 extra any more

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
I bought the $28 Tasco last month. Set it up in a pine thicket on some corn and apples. I used the 3 picture setting every 15 seconds. I had 938 pics the first week!!! LoL no issues with battery life or trigger speed for me. I backed it down to 1 pic a minute but have not been back to that plot to check since. Camera had great overall pics, good night shots. I had a fox, possum, coons, crows and a pile of deer. I would not hesitate to buy that camera at that price point.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Somebody post some pics from these cheap cams....I may be looking for a el cheapo soon.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I got several of the "proof cams" a couple years ago for about $15 or $20 after a rebate. A bit blurry in night time movement pics, but for the money they have served the purpose. If they walk off I can stomach this amount OK. 11_7_19.JPG11_7_19_1.JPG11_7_19_2.JPG

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I bought the $28 Tasco last month. Set it up in a pine thicket on some corn and apples. I used the 3 picture setting every 15 seconds. I had 938 pics the first week!!! LoL

You should have had about 23,520 images after a week! Just kidding. You, of course, meant, "once triggered, it took 3 shots, separated by 15 seconds", I know. :)

One or both of my cameras does have a timelapse feature (they call it field scan or something). It takes a photo at regular intervals set by the user. I guess, that way, the animal doesn't have to be so close and you can see what's out in a field at daytime or whatever.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Knock on wood I haven't got did yet they have worked well for me I still get protection plan I've had 2 duds on Bushnell but others have not its just luck

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing wrong with any of the pics I see. I think the Primos looks the best, but the Tasco looks fine for what it is also.

Thanks for pics all.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The tascos are a good deal for public land .... oddly I never have had a cam stolen on public but have on private land ...go figure

I dont understand thieves, I do a bit of squirrel hunting early season and cover ground on public, I find cams all the time, Most just with a strap and no lock, I would never think of messing with another persons property.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I got a call from a guy once. He said he "found my trail cam on the ground just lying there". (I had put a note saying it was the only one my son and I had, with my address). I was suspicious but what was I going to say? He sent it to me in the mail.

The card? Completely empty - which didn't make sense bc I always made sure it was working before I left it in the tree.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I got the larger primos proof cams for like $38 on price match.

They have done well. I leave them for months sitting on trails all over the place.

I focus on cut hollers and pinch points where trails come together.

Haven’t had any stolen yet, but the mountains have 1/10th the people roaming around on 10x the acreage.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I got the larger primos proof cams for like $38 on price match.

They have done well. I leave them for months sitting on trails all over the place.

I focus on cut hollers and pinch points where trails come together.

Haven’t had any stolen yet, but the mountains have 1/10th the people roaming around on 10x the acreage.
76CCAB33-D1CC-4C94-86A5-8642FCED9799.jpegD639F04B-D71C-45F3-84F0-B45B05F2CB2F.jpegCBEECFEB-A7AD-4CA8-B1EE-E213C2B111ED.jpeg4B13051A-5245-40A9-93B8-130B13683DD7.jpeg
Not the absolute greatest pics but the trigger speed and functions work well for how I use cams.

SWAMPTHING

Button Buck
I started using the walmart tasco cameras because the bears in my area are really hard on trail cams. It don't hurt as much when they eat a 30 dollar cam as to eating a high dollar spy point cam. Like was said,they take decent pics and the price is right. Battery life is pretty good,so thats another plus.

Attachments

• 00000216.JPG
    00000216.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 20