Best baitcaster

30/06

Twelve Pointer
looking for recommendations for general bass fishing. Not looking to break the bank but don’t want to skimp and deal with backlashes. Let me know some good options.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
looking for recommendations for general bass fishing. Not looking to break the bank but don’t want to skimp and deal with backlashes. Let me know some good options.
backlashes will occur with any BC except for one that shimano has - but it's pretty pricey.
Any reel will likely do you well even some house brand reels like BPS.
To eliminate the severe backlashes- throw out a long cast. Strip a little extra line- place a thin piece of "masking" (the white light sticky stuff) tape across the spool.
Now the line cant "blow up "when your thumb isnt as educated as it needs to be.
I cant recommend any specific reel- I have every flavor known to man and they are all better than what i grew up with so I have no issues with any of them.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
I like the lews and the abu pro max. Pro max is a bit heavy though. They might have updated the models though.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im gonna go with CRC on this one. The max reels from abu are good for learning. Some people never go away from them.

lews is a loved brand. I have cast a few of them and they seem like good reels.

Reactions: CRC

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Sort of like a shotgun........whatever fits you. I think most of the name brand companies make decent reels these days. Even the lower end reels are decent if you don't fish that much. I saw an article or video where someone broke it down by how many days a year you fish. The higher end ones will last much longer. With that said the Lews reels seem to fit my hands and work really well for me. I just got back into bass fishing about 6 or 7 years ago so I bought several brands along the way not knowing what I liked best. I am not gradually switching over to all Lews. Now RODS are a completely different story.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I've got 2 like new shimano Lews model BB1 bait casting reels I'll let go for $100 for the pair if yoyr interested.

Don't know too much about them someone could say yay or nay on the quality.

They are listed on page 3 I think in the classified's.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
I suggest not buying a "low end" or "practice reel". You'll figure it out quick enough and it could feel like a waste. Big fan of the Curado. Lews stuff is great too.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've got 2 like new shimano Lews model BB1 bait casting reels I'll let go for $100 for the pair if yoyr interested.

Don't know too much about them someone could say yay or nay on the quality.

They are listed on page 3 I think in the classified's.
That used to be the absolute favorite reel of the high rock area crankers. That is a steal 25 years ago.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Big fan of Lew's reels. Learned on an Ambassadeur 5000D, switched to a 5000C, then a 4500C before I switched to Lew's. They cast well and are about like shaking hands with an old friend.

Jim

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Shimano. I can't speak to the newer models as I've had the same bantam for 40 years. I've had to repair it only once. Whatever you get, make sure it has the magnetic cast control feature. Helps significantly with the learning process and makes casting in the wind a bit easier.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Best reel out there that doesn’t break into triple digits is the shimano slx imo. Lews is good on a budget but pay attention to which model. The similarly priced lews ($99.99) aren’t as good as that shimano though.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I have several of the Lews BB series that are over 40 years old and all work like new....just keep them oiled and do not believe you could wear one out. Cast like a dream and they were top of the line when Lew Childre introduced the Lews Speed Spool back in 1973. If you put your hands on one, you had to have it. I still fish with mine and keep them spooled up with worms, crank baits, spinners while out on the pond fishing for bass. They are on ebay and are priced with the better reels today, but you will be hard pressed to find a reel that will compare to the older Lews of years ago.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have several of the Lews BB series that are over 40 years old and all work like new....just keep them oiled and do not believe you could wear one out. Cast like a dream and they were top of the line when Lew Childre introduced the Lews Speed Spool back in 1973. If you put your hands on one, you had to have it. I still fish with mine and keep them spooled up with worms, crank baits, spinners while out on the pond fishing for bass. They are on ebay and are priced with the better reels today, but you will be hard pressed to find a reel that will compare to the older Lews of years ago.
@buckshooter - are you seeing this? Right in your wheelhouse.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
For Bass? I like shimanoes , especially the Calcutta(best all around bait caster) Abus especially the 4600 and 5600 sizes(they are smoother than 4500 and 5500) , I like some of the old millionaires and like a lot of the lews......

But the best caster out there by far is the Varius Spectrum F model by Ryobi. This is the smoothest farthest casting small BC you will ever throw. Yes Ryobi and this model which is different from the regular Varius reels. smoothest reel you will ever touch

For a beginner I would go with Lews

you can get these used from time to time on ebay from 500 to 600 bucks.....worth every penny. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3540377294...yr_4rg_-oTV4SGLr-Z8GQ97ylwsKeE0saAo8OEALw_wcB

IMG_20220522_115538581_HDR.jpg.

IMG_20220522_115528052_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer

If you haven't used one you are bound to backlash but it's not a big deal, just start slow and find someone who has a baitcaster and borrow it or have them show you how to use it while fishing with them. If they set it up correctly (magnets and spool brakes) you won't be casting too far but you'll be able to get a really good feel for the tool. It's just a tool and as with any tool it's only as good as the user. You can buy a $500 hammer and chisel but if you ain't Leonardo you'll end up with rocks.

That said, good intro stuff is all pretty comparable Lews, Quantum, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Shimano, or Daiwa. Modern stuff is all pretty good, kinda like, modern cars....they all work!

Lastly, the only way to fix a backlash quickly is to pick out 1,000 of them so you can figure out how they occur and how to clear them. Are they frustrating...yes! But just remember that putting the reel down and finishing the day with a spinning rod is a good tactic. You can work on the backlash at home after a cold drink and a fresh set of non-blood shot eyes haha.