Best approach to get into waterfowl hunting?

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I have never hunted waterfowl, but have always wanted to give it a try. Had a grandfather that hunted them, he passed before I was born.
Just a blank slate and could use some advice.

How would you start fresh? Will be hunting southwest VA.

I would prefer not to go on a guided hunt just yet, maybe screw up some in private first. Lol

What's the right size shot, better choke constriction for a 12 gauge? I know I'll need to pattern it.
What type calls?

When I was lot younger I floated the rivers trapping and saw mallard, wood ducks. So I can ID those easily and of course geese.
I have a kayak on order to use for public land deer hunting and figured on using it for waterfowl also.

Like most folks I have watched hunting shows, and some enjoyable utube videos on the subject. But I know time hunting will be my best teacher.

Advice is welcome, I am an older guy so go easy on me.
Thanks.

Last edited:

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
For most NC hunting I (actually my guns) prefer #3 shot. I have one full and one modified (for steel shot of course) that I use. I have patterned both so I know the loads they prefer. A dozen decoys (mallard-wood duck combo) and you should be set. I would start there and make sure I like it before I INVESTED any more money. Not sure what kayak you have but most will have room for a dozen dekes and your other stuff. Scout, scout, scout and don't set your expectations too high and you can have some great mornings in the swamp/marshes. Good luck.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
What area of the state are you gonna be hunting in? There’s nothing like a new experience and it sounds like you are off to a good start with knowledge of the waterways that you trapped. Float hunting around a curvy waterway will give you sporadic shot opportunities when you round corners. If you already hunt other species on private lands there may be a creek or swampy area that may hold a few wood ducks or mallards that will be waiting for you this season. Shot size selection will vary but most folks use #2-#4 steel, I personally use #4 steel in the wood duck holes with an improved cylinder choke, which patterns as a modified. As far as calls go, you’ll be making more noise for yourself than the ducks, woodies are gonna go where they want to, but you can turn mallards on occasion. Any of the polycarbonate double reed mallard calls will make just as much duck noise that the expensive ones do and you won’t cry WHEN you loose it. YouTube is your friend on when and what type of call to use. Hope this helps, and good luck to ya this season. PS, don’t forget your federal duck stamp and waterfowl privileges on your hunting license 👍

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
A 12 gauge loaded with 3 inch #3’s or 4’s from a full choke or modified choke will kill any bird you encounter. Get a couple dozen mallards and make a jerk rig and you will be good to go. As far as calls, I would get a drake whistle and practice with it. You would be amazed at how much people overcall, when all you need is a couple of grunts from a whistle.