Best all round bird gun?

scott00

Spike
I'm looking for a new bird gun....one that is versatile enough to chamber all sizes for everything from grouse and ducks on up to geese and turkeys.

Semi auto only and a budget of $1500. What would you choose?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Benelli SBE III....but I can't find one at my price range, so I'm looking for other options.

Thoughts from the crew here?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
You've answered your own question. Ride to Wagram, NC and go to Mid South Guns for the best deal on an SBE3 or just get an SBE2. If you have never been to Mid South Guns it is well worth the trip.

<>< Fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any of the semis from the major companies should do you well. Beretta, benelli, winchester, browning, remington.

If you are asking for opinions, mine is that I would be looking at a gas gun. 3” and 3.5” loads are not for the faint of heart. Nothing worse than a good hunt followed by a headache later. It may only be me, but the big loads give me headaches after shooting.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
If you are set on inertia driven guns take a look at an M2. But I favor gas guns and you can find several great guns from Beretta in that range.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
If I could only have one. It would be a 20ga wooden stock semi auto.

But for 1500$ I could have two[emoji23]

So I have multiple shotguns for different things.

20ga mossy 500 short barrel.
Turkey
Close birds and rabbits
Doves sometimes

12ga a couple 870s different barrels and scope sight set ups
Deer
Turkey
Turkey shoots
Ducks
Pigs

16ga
Sporting
Birds
Clay's

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
It wouldn’t be a benelli I know that much???

Beretta A400 would be my first choice. Never been a fan of inertia guns. For me personally, gas guns have always been more reliable. But benelli has a cult like following, I guess there’s a reason, just not sure what it would be. ???

scott00

Spike
I But benelli has a cult like following, I guess there’s a reason, just not sure what it would be. ???

I know what you mean as I have my own preferences on the rifle side :) I am (currently) unbiased on the shotgun side though, so that's why I appreciate everyone's inputs!

Right now the consensus so far is a gas gun. Would there be a huge downfall to a 20 gauge over a 12 gauge for most birds in the spectrum if I wanted to keep it to one gun?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A 20 gauge with a propler load will handle everything you want to shoot at.

The 12 gauge will give you a lot more load options. I would definitely stick to a 12 gauge for an all around gun.

You wont gain much beises minimal recoil.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I have and shoot a benelli sbe2 and sbe3 but my next one will most likely be a beretta a400. Recoil doesn’t bother me but the reduction on the berettas is nice.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Right now the consensus so far is a gas gun. Would there be a huge downfall to a 20 gauge over a 12 gauge for most birds in the spectrum if I wanted to keep it to one gun?

I’ve duck hunted with a 20 the last 3 years. It’s an SX3. I’ve found no disadvantage but keeping in mind, I don’t shoot anything past 40 yards. I been using blindsides and rio’s. Only disadvantage would possibly be big water shooting sea ducks but if I do that, I’ll load some TSS for it and it’ll be better than any 10gauge.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Just dont shoot any brand of shell with rounded brass lip in Benelli. Basically told by benelli only shoot winchester shells. Found out the hard way, 2 months and a new carrier group later. Thankful I had another shotgun because mine was gone all last season.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Just dont shoot any brand of shell with rounded brass lip in Benelli. Basically told by benelli only shoot winchester shells. Found out the hard way, 2 months and a new carrier group later. Thankful I had another shotgun because mine was gone all last season.
I guess all guns are different even of the same brand, I don’t shoot Winchester in any of my benellis and have no problems.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
I guess all guns are different even of the same brand, I don’t shoot Winchester in any of my benellis and have no problems.

I have several and they did not have problems. It was fixed under warranty and now cycles anything. Maybe the 3 will not have issues.

double

Twelve Pointer
I will say as ugly as it is the supervinci feels better and points better to me than any of the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott00

Spike
Thanks again for all of the comments. After doing a little research, the Beretta A400 Xtreme looks pretty sweet and the reviews look very solid. I can't see many downsides to this gun....

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I know what you mean as I have my own preferences on the rifle side :) I am (currently) unbiased on the shotgun side though, so that's why I appreciate everyone's inputs!

Yes and no. Some people get all stingy when it comes to buying loads for waterfowl. For anything that you can shoot lead at, no issues whatsoever. For ducks, you won't have problems if you're willing to spring for higher end shot. My wife killed bluebills with a 28 gauge using #6 Bismuth. Nice stuff. I'll never understand how someone has a $400 Sitka jacket, a boat with a mud motor, dog, decoys...And then gets anxious about $10 more for a box of shells. I certainly don't kill enough ducks for the difference to make sense to me. Maybe if I hunted the Dakotas and Arkansas for a month or more a year.
Thanks again for all of the comments. After doing a little research, the Beretta A400 Xtreme looks pretty sweet and the reviews look very solid. I can't see many downsides to this gun....
Its a good one. Enjoy.

scott00

Spike
Yes and no. Some people get all stingy when it comes to buying loads for waterfowl. For anything that you can shoot lead at, no issues whatsoever. For ducks, you won't have problems if you're willing to spring for higher end shot.

Thanks. This raises a great question: if one were to buy the best possible loads, what would be the best 20 gauge gas gun? The Beretta A400 mentioned above is only available in 12 gauge.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
A400 Xplor is a helluva 20 gauge. A good semi will shoot most anything you put in it. A great semi auto don’t give a damn what you feed it. My sx3 has been a great one.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. This raises a great question: if one were to buy the best possible loads, what would be the best 20 gauge gas gun? The Beretta A400 mentioned above is only available in 12 gauge.
As i understand it, all the berettas are basically the same from an engineering perspective, after you get past the decoration.

In 20, I’d also look hard at a Benelli.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes on the berettas. From the cheapest versions to the high end competition ones. The concept is the same and most dimensions the same. Some of the parts are made of different material. Very few hunting guns are going to ever seen thousands of rounds out of them like you do in competition clay guns. No need for the higher priced metals on the parts. You wouldnt wear one out hunting with it. (Maybe argentina doves but nothing in the states.) lots of people will say they shoot a shotgun a lot, but they dont calculate that 1,000 shots is 50 boxes and 5 cases. Thats what a lot of clay shooters see in a month or two and the average shotun will only see that in a lifetime.