Best All Around Shotgun - Turkey, Ducks, Doves.

wolfpackduckman

Button Buck
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am in the market for a new - or used- shotgun. I have grown up using family shared guns (aka dad's guns). These consisted of the Benelli SBEII, Browning BPS, and Remington 1100 (20Gauge, youth model), and Remington 870 ( 20 gauge, youth model). It is time that I start owning my guns separately as I get older. I have had buddies purchase some of these guns that were manufactured in more recent times (2012+) and have been told they aren't "made like they used to" (Remington, Winchester). If this is the case, do you suggest buying one older and used, or do the newer Remington, Winchesters just need to get broken in?

I really like all of them, and probably appreciated the 1100 the most, especially for dove hunts.

If you had to pick one of these, or even had another gun not on this list (for the money, reliability, and versatility), which would you recommend?

Thanks and look forward to your input!

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Another vote for remm 870 12g its my all time favorite shotgun but I don't duck hunt so I'm no good to you there. If I could I'd look for used one pre 2010 just my preference.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In 2002, I bought a Benelli Super 90 (also referred to as the M1 Field). I tried to find a used model for my son, but people apparently don't want to part with them.

They reintroduced the m1 Field a couple years ago (and I bought him one for Christmas, last year). It's not exactly the same gun, but it's close enough. It's also <$900.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anything 12/26 or 12/28 with interchangeable chokes is good enough if it fits you right. "fit" is the most important thing for wing shooting, you need to be able to pull it up and fire quickly and naturally. Shooting at a turkey is more about aiming like you would a rifle, and you generally have a bit more time and a still/slow moving target.

Ramblin Man

Four Pointer
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am in the market for a new - or used- shotgun. I have grown up using family shared guns (aka dad's guns). These consisted of the Benelli SBEII, Browning BPS, and Remington 1100 (20Gauge, youth model), and Remington 870 ( 20 gauge, youth model). It is time that I start owning my guns separately as I get older. I have had buddies purchase some of these guns that were manufactured in more recent times (2012+) and have been told they aren't "made like they used to" (Remington, Winchester). If this is the case, do you suggest buying one older and used, or do the newer Remington, Winchesters just need to get broken in?

I really like all of them, and probably appreciated the 1100 the most, especially for dove hunts.

If you had to pick one of these, or even had another gun not on this list (for the money, reliability, and versatility), which would you recommend?

Thanks and look forward to your input!
Sounds like you have had opportunity to try several different guns. What fit the best and shot the best to you? That's the gun for you.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Everyone has good points. And most everyone will tell you what works for them. The “what fits you best” is ok but “what fits you best” is absolutely useless if you have a junk heap of a shotgun. I personally had rather have a gun that may not fit the best but is flawless in function than a gun that fits well and is basically an expensive single shot. And in today’s times, most guns come with shims to add that will fit the gun to you. So if you really like a gun at the store and it don’t fit you right, most likely there’s shims in the box that’ll get it right for you.
If you are looking new guns, semi auto to be exact, put Remington in the corner and appreciate them for they USED to be. Their ship has sailed.
Be glad Winchester semi autos are not what they used to be. The SX3 and SX4’s are good guns. I’d give the nod to the sx3 over the 4.
Beretta semi autos are hard to beat and as bad as I hate to say it, benelli’s have their following as well. the M1 or M2 would be the only benelli I’d look at. I’d stay away from any semi auto that shoots 3-1/2” shell especially if you plan on shooting a lot of light loads for upland critters and clays. Browning is a good shotgun as well but there’s tons of bad reviews on the new A5. I personally like the maxus.
The 3-1/2” craze is over. That ship has sailed as well. I was recently in 2 different well known stores that cater to waterfowlwrs. You could’ve had your pick of any 3-1/2” load you wanted. All the 2-3/4” and 3” shells were few and far between.
I own a couple 870’s, yes they are work horses and this won’t be the popular opinion but most any pump will work fine for you and take the exact abuse as a remmy will. Actually, I’d go a step further and say that just in terms of abuse, a mossberg will handle it even better. They’re ugly as sin right out of the box, but they work.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
What everyone else has already said. Just my likings but my favorites are my OLD Remington 870's (one is a Special Purpose and one a Wingmaster) and my newer Benelli M2's. I love both models of guns and we have them in the family in both 12 and 20 and all have done their job for us.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
870 or the 1100. I'm a browning man, but both of these are great guns. The 25-30 year old 870's and 1100's are quality firearms. I haven't seen much out of Remington in the last 15 years that even comes close in my opinion.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Best All Around Shotgun

no such thing as "best"

if there was, there would only be one

lots of good input here - have fun

only thing I'd recommend - don't fall in love with any of them until AFTER you have used it a while - that way if whatever you buy isn't the "best" for you, you can sell and move on to the next one

soon, you will find one that is like an extension of your body,,, hitting comes easy(ier) and THEN you have the "best" for you

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Browning Gold - Classic Model I believe. I like that gun. It looks like their current Silver now.
It's not the Flagship gun, probably 2 or 3 ahead of it now, but they're good guns and I like the fit.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have a Browning Gold - Classic Model I believe. I like that gun. It looks like their current Silver now.
It's not the Flagship gun, probably 2 or 3 ahead of it now, but they're good guns and I like the fit.
Another vote for the good old Browning Gold. I have five of them and couldn't be happier with any of them.

I bought a Remington Versamax Sportman back in 2015. Didn't have to break it in. Works just as good today as it did the day I bought it. Used it for ducks, geese, and doves. Ive rode it really hard too. Its been covered in mud, wet, and frozen solid. Fires every time and cant remember ever having a jam out of it. Only time it didnt fire was on a duck hunt near Saginaw Bay. Fell in the water and couldn't dry it so the trigger and action froze solid. Temp that day was hovering around 0 not including 15-20 mph winds. Any gun would have frozen solid if it were dropped in the water.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If I had th o one gun for waterfowl it would be without a doubt the Browning BPS ..........best gun and with that bottom ejection it keeps rain out of it and you are not throwing shells in your buddies face. If alone you just pickup what's below you. I have an 870 and an I thaca but the BPS is better..........

greenoakl

Six Pointer
I’d find a new or used Binelli m2 20 ga. It’s the only gun I’ve used for doves , geese or turkeys in the last 4or5 years.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
As others are saying fit is the most important. I'd go to a store and shoulder what feels best and then go from there. I recently just bought a Winchester SX4. You can get the composite stock for $699 brand new from Cabela's. Winchester is owned by Browning, with the SX4 being almost identical internally as their Silver line. The only difference is they use a bit more hard plastic than the Browning but in disassembling it I felt it was solid. For me it's comfortable and shoulders well. But ymmv.

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
I bought a Girsan last year before dove season. I love it. I was in the market for a Stoeger, however, I decided on the Girsan due to it being a little cheaper and easier to find. Research different shotguns, you can get good quality in a " not so known brand" and have money for ammo.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
That A300 has basically the same internals as my Browning B-80 that I bought back in the '80s...It's killed deer, turkeys, doves, ducks, squirrels, pheasants and rabbits in the State...I have an 1100 as well, but it's a 2 3/4 chamber whereas the Browning is both 3 inch and 2 3/4, which makes it more versatile ...

richard corn

Ten Pointer
As others are saying fit is the most important. I'd go to a store and shoulder what feels best and then go from there. I recently just bought a Winchester SX4. You can get the composite stock for $699 brand new from Cabela's. Winchester is owned by Browning, with the SX4 being almost identical internally as their Silver line. The only difference is they use a bit more hard plastic than the Browning but in disassembling it I felt it was solid. For me it's comfortable and shoulders well. But ymmv.

Winchester owned by FN Herstal which is parent company to Browning too

Redman6

Four Pointer
I have a H&K SBE from early 90"s. Wouldnt take anything for it. Shoots what ever you put in it and has never jambed.
Like everyone else says also. It's what fits you good and shooting it should be instinctive.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I’ve not handled much of the new stuff, but I will say if you go with an inertia driven semi auto, make dang sure you break it in before hitting the field. I’ve never seen one that would cycle light loads 100% of the time till they were broke in. All it took for my Franchi I-12 was about 10 rounds of buckshot after I made that discovery. I went from every 3rd shot being a problem to 100% on the lightest of 9 shots.
And I’ve always preferred mossberg over any 870 I’ve ever handled.