Bees

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer
I have two brand new empty hives (my first ever), an abundance of inexperience, and I know where there are bees in an old house. I have permission to get the bees. My wife thinks I'm going to do something stupid but we've been married 18 years and she's only ever been right most of the time, so I should be good to go. Any bee keepers on here that would like to chime in on what lies to tell my wife when this all inevitably turns into a crap show, or more appropriately, a $h!t swarm?

C120

Six Pointer
Comb will be everywhere and running in every direction. Almost impossible to get the comb straight into your frames so you can work the brood box later. You would be far better off waiting on a swarm or buying bees.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have two brand new empty hives (my first ever), an abundance of inexperience, and I know where there are bees in an old house. I have permission to get the bees. My wife thinks I'm going to do something stupid but we've been married 18 years and she's only ever been right most of the time, so I should be good to go. Any bee keepers on here that would like to chime in on what lies to tell my wife when this all inevitably turns into a crap show, or more appropriately, a $h!t swarm?

got to ask,,,

can i come film it???

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Go to YouTube and look up how to remove bees with a bee bac. A lot to type but check out a video, wear your ppe, and enjoy the experience lol. There’s a guy from down south on YouTube named 629dirtrooster he has a lot of videos of how to remove bees from a dwelling.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
By all means buy frames with foundation and throw them in. As long as you have a hood and gloves etc. As said b4 dirt rooster and mr ed aka jeff horchef bees do cut outside all the time on youtube.

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
Go to YouTube and look up how to remove bees with a bee bac. A lot to type but check out a video, wear your ppe, and enjoy the experience lol. There’s a guy from down south on YouTube named 629dirtrooster he has a lot of videos of how to remove bees from a dwelling.
Yes, I watch his vids, 628 dirtrooster, also Mr. Ed bees. JPBEEMAN. There is a group of these bee guys that compete to see who can catch the most swarms and do the most removals in a year.
While entertaining, I have learned a lot about bees by watching these guys. They are located down in Miss. and La. where there seem to be a lot of swarms and old house removals.
Suit up and go for it, good luck.
Seems having a bee vac and capturing the queen are key.

witler

Eight Pointer
In case you do not know, when mounting brood comb into your frames, mount the same way that they were hanging in hive. What was up should be mounted up, hard to see but the cells in the comb are not flat/level, they are tilted up by about 13 degrees to prevent honey from running out. I think Rooster and the other guys use #36 rubberbands from Staples to hold comb in frame. After bees connect the comb they will chew rubberband in half and drag out of the hive. It is unbelievable what these bees can do.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
You don't need the comb, you need the queen. Good luck finding her, but if you do, the rest will follow.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Find the queen and put her in a clip. Drop her in the bottom of your hive. Put a little comb in a frame or three, and put foundation frames in the rest. Set the hive on the floor or table or ladder to get the entrance of the hive close to the old comb. Walk away and come back the next day to move them and clean go trough the old comb.
Here is a hive I had to clean up yesterday. I thought the hive was queenless for a couple weeks. Yesterday I found her under the hive. It was a deep and three medium supers high. One medium was foundation, so they had room. It was also a new queen they raised so she may not have ever made it back into the hive when she returned from mating.
9EF71071-D2EA-44F4-AD8C-A78DFEF3A386.jpeg
6621F8BD-990B-45DE-A2F7-8D772B4FF890.jpeg
C312E006-9205-45AB-9FA3-0AE94CF0F4D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 28A967B2-7475-4987-AF9B-E538FF4B6E4E.jpeg
    28A967B2-7475-4987-AF9B-E538FF4B6E4E.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 3