Beef, its whats for dinner

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've never tried sous vide for over 9 hours, I'd be interested to see what kind of texture the meat has after 24 hours of 135 degrees. I've not fixed anything by sous vide that I wasn't very impressed with the way it turned out.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I've never tried sous vide for over 9 hours, I'd be interested to see what kind of texture the meat has after 24 hours of 135 degrees. I've not fixed anything by sous vide that I wasn't very impressed with the way it turned out.

There can be a fine line between making a piece of meat tender and making it mushy. The tougher the piece of meat - the longer it can go. I have not tried 24 hours myself so I will be interested in the result. I think the longest I've gone is 14 hours for a venison roast.

willb

Eight Pointer
here is a rump roast cooked on 130 for 24 hrs. melts in your mouth
the more tender cuts do not need cooking any where as long. they will turn to mush.
its better to cook this type of meat longer to break down the collagen and connective tissues
Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.43.06 PM.png

willb

Eight Pointer
i cooked a pork roast last weekend in the sous vide for 16 hrs at 165 degrees. put a nice char on it with the grill and it was pull apart tender

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I love cooking but no sous vide yet. Just curious on cook time as I have read before where if (lack of better words) you risk food spoilage or ? by cooking too long at low temps. Correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I love cooking but no sous vide yet. Just curious on cook time as I have read before where if (lack of better words) you risk food spoilage or ? by cooking too long at low temps. Correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

From what I have read, to be completely safe, you should cook beef at or above 131F. That said, I've cooked it at 129F with no problems.

damarshall7

Four Pointer
Something to consider when sous videing at low temps for long times:
Lactobacillus bacteria. If this bacteria is present, it will give whatever you are cooking a smell that is so bad that you will not be able to eat the meat. I've only had this happen once, and I had to throw out a chuck roast. The bacteria does not make the meat unsafe to eat, but the smell is so bad that you have to wear nose plugs to eat. To prevent this bacteria from forming, you can take and dip the meat in boiling water prior to sous videing. This kills the bacteria.

willb

Eight Pointer
it turned out great. not quite as pink as i would have liked it but it was tender. it was ready Saturday night but i cooked it another 12 hrs. Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.44.06 AM.png