Bee Keepers, question

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Since this hive only swarmed (successfully?) maybe three weeks ago, is there a chance there was something wrong with the new queen, didn't realize their queen was missing?, maybe "crowned" a new one?

hawkman

witler

Eight Pointer
We have a large Holly tree near the house. It is in bloom and sweet smelling, also covered with bees.
Any expert suggestions on tracking bees back to main hive?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I learned to make a bee box from george herter - used modified cigar boxes - found three hives as a kid

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Just went and looked yesterday at some nucs a guy was building. They will be ready in two weeks. I got two of them and there is one left for $160.

de5933fa0eec3f8115dfc6c8e0b602de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Picked up my bees a couple days ago.

434830c8130c4e8d1e534dd7bc9fe783.jpg

560c01804db89dc298b818fd177694ad.jpg

Have had the girls out painting. They wanted rainbow, so rainbow it is.

d15772cdd2b4b480b2e5eaf281a5e1ab.jpg

Last edited:

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Had a swarm in my backyard yesterday. Guilford Co.

They seemed to be heading into a tree hive 20' off the ground in a large white oak.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Had a swarm in my backyard yesterday. Guilford Co.

They seemed to be heading into a tree hive 20' off the ground in a large white oak.

I got what I need now, but there is a way to get them out if you want them.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Drove through a swarm today at about 20mph... didn’t have a clue what they were until I seen one stuck to my wiper.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Anybody in person county?
Anyone that has bees ?or wants swarming bees? Im neither but my buddy who has two hives on my place in Granville C lives in Allensville and has gotten 5 swarms in the last couple of weeks.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Did some inspecting today and marked the queens, and added top feeders. I took the inner covers all the way out before I left. There seems to be plenty of pollen coming in, but I’ll give them the feeder to help get them established from the nucs to the 10 frame.

4daae296fd6f215029195d33168971a9.jpg

728e4c60bcf70b71a4848bbb331a12ee.jpg

de85a587996f22679bead0b38fe8fafc.jpg

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone that has bees ?or wants swarming bees? Im neither but my buddy who has two hives on my place in Granville C lives in Allensville and has gotten 5 swarms in the last couple of weeks.
Not sure. I’ve got an awful lot of honeybees that just showed up around the end of my house. Should know more tomorrow mebbe.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not a bee keeper, but I had an uncle who was. If you see a swarm of bees in the air, and you want to get them to settle close to the ground where you can get them, clang two pieces of metal together close to them, and they will drop and settle. I watched my uncle do this one summer when I was staying with them.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Not sure. I’ve got an awful lot of honeybees that just showed up around the end of my house. Should know more tomorrow mebbe.
10-4 I should have included he is a beekeeper with a fair amount of hives scattered around not just 2 hives at my place. Let me know and I can get him to contact you if it looks like an issue for you.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Added a new medium super on one hive. The one queen is booming.

d0fc806c704dee8cd004d7c0404d285c.jpg

bdc4698aef5ed5f8d2a3ae54624da91e.jpg

a79f73d095f9a3db020a63d047c191bc.jpg

91f86a497928838d872b82186525fc0c.jpg

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^My wife got aholdst of Person Co Beekeepers. They told us to call SwarmHunter 😕
Bees seem to have disappeared. Gonna let old dude do an inspection anyway just in case. They showed up sometime Thursday, and vanished between 11 and 2 Friday.

dbcrowbar

Six Pointer
Caught my 5th swarm Monday late afternoon , let them sit on the back of the truck overnight . when i opened them them up to put in the other frames they had all ready built 3 pecies of comb on the lid nearly half as big as my hand

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, I am out of the bee keeping hobby. No need to go through what I went through this weekend again if I can help it.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
had everything on, bee got inside my veil and stung me on the eye lid. then several more while trying to get out of jacket and what not. 2 Benadryl, an EPIPen, and a ride on the ambulance later I was feeling a little better. Wife said I was out for 10 minutes, hell, all I know is it would end fast enough. Felt like someone took the top of my head off and started stirring my brains around, and my ears where hurting. I'm glad that she knew what to do and that she had that EPIPen handy that was for my youngest son. Doc in the ER asked the EMT's if they done anything besides bring me in, and they basically said NOPE

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
had everything on, bee got inside my veil and stung me on the eye lid. then several more while trying to get out of jacket and what not. 2 Benadryl, an EPIPen, and a ride on the ambulance later I was feeling a little better. Wife said I was out for 10 minutes, hell, all I know is it would end fast enough. Felt like someone took the top of my head off and started stirring my brains around, and my ears where hurting. I'm glad that she knew what to do and that she had that EPIPen handy that was for my youngest son. Doc in the ER asked the EMT's if they done anything besides bring me in, and they basically said NOPE
It sounds like you need to carry an epi-pen from now on and be prepared to use it. Most of the time an allergy to honey bees means you may be developing allergies to other stinging creatures..even ants or sweat bees.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, I know that had to be a very scary situation.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
It sounds like you need to carry an epi-pen from now on and be prepared to use it. Most of the time an allergy to honey bees means you may be developing allergies to other stinging creatures..even ants or sweat bees.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, I know that had to be a very scary situation.
That and reactions get progressively worse generally

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Are you letting them swarm on purpose?

Yes, we are building up a lot of hives again. Actually have time to take care of a bunch so why not...Got a few old timers started back up this year too. Every yard needs a couple hives...