Bedding

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve always used acraglass but damn if my last project went bad lol half the resin didn’t set and it was just a mess. So other tinker guys what other compounds are good for bedding an action?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I use bowstring wax. No specific reason other than it’s worked flawless.

Attachments

• EB610D15-7B2D-41BA-8C1A-15A110F96238.png
    EB610D15-7B2D-41BA-8C1A-15A110F96238.png
    650.4 KB · Views: 3

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
In gunsmith school they taught us to use Acra Gel as opposed to the runny Glas, so I've preferred that for over 35 yrs.
BUT have used Devcon and JB weld in a pinch and the guns dint know the difference, they both are liquidy as well thus less user friendly IME
I like that the Gel is like warm butter and gooshes where needed but wont run where its not.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
In gunsmith school they taught us to use Acra Gel as opposed to the runny Glas, so I've preferred that for over 35 yrs.
BUT have used Devcon and JB weld in a pinch and the guns dint know the difference, they both are liquidy as well thus less user friendly IME
I like that the Gel is like warm butter and gooshes where needed but wont run where its not.

A good friend of mine is a gunsmith and you may know him (Baxter Canady). He does my bedding and the last two he bedded for me he used the Gel and I think that's all he uses now. I have two older rifles that he bedded and he used glass in those and they have held up very well.

I've thought about trying to bed one myself but just haven't ever gotten up the nerve to do it. I'm afraid If I tried to bed one that I'd end up messing something up and ruin the stock, maybe one day I'll give it a try.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
It’s fairly easy as long as you tape take your time and use a good release agent... I generally dremel a few extra grooves into bedding area for a better mechanical lock.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Ive used them all with success. The last few were done with Marine Tex.
Mixes easily and it isn't runny. Very easy to work with.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
A good friend of mine is a gunsmith and you may know him (Baxter Canady).
YES, I know Baxter, but he won't remember me probably.
He and Raymond Bunn were in their last semesters during my 1st semester. I ended up living in Raymonds lil house in Capelsie after he graduated. Im sure Baxter spent some time at that house since those 2 were good buds.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Used pro bed 2000 again on my SPS Tactical today. Easy to use and viscous enough to stay in place.

No matter what I use, It always makes me anxious while I'm waiting for it to cure and see if the release agent did its job, lol.

Snapchat-158600748.jpg

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've done a few hundred in acra glass gel, and a few hundred in acra glass steel bed over the years, but I really feel like Marine Tex is the best and most stable material when paired with aluminum pillars.