Bed Bugs

witler

Eight Pointer
I noticed that Bed Bugs has been mentioned in more than one thread lately. I haven't used it in awhile but there is a web site that list hotels/motels that have been reported for having Bed Bugs.
Bed Bug Registry.com

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
we've found that www.tripadvisor.com often has more reviews for places , BUT, it never hurts to have more reference sites. Since we started using www.vrbo.com over 5 yrs ago, we've NEVER found a BUGGY report there at all. I think since those places are folks personal homes/condos, they take better care of them, usually. We've used them in the backwoods of WV and coastal FL and many other states.
Thanx Witler.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for posting. I never encountered them so I never really thought of it. I have an upcoming stay at a hotel and it came up clean!!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
went fishing eastern shore of virginia 3? yrars ago and My wife had booked a well know hotel that had no BB reports. get there 10pm and get to room and my wife can spot Bb's in a second. (she was a Social worker) tracks on mattress. we checked out and the the next 2 hotels had BB's as well. was 3 am when we found one w/o them.

we never ever just plop our stuff down. we check first for signs and then bring our stuff into the room. clean bb report is good but dont' trust them. learn to inspect for them.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
went fishing eastern shore of virginia 3? yrars ago and My wife had booked a well know hotel that had no BB reports. get there 10pm and get to room and my wife can spot Bb's in a second. (she was a Social worker) tracks on mattress. we checked out and the the next 2 hotels had BB's as well. was 3 am when we found one w/o them.

we never ever just plop our stuff down. we check first for signs and then bring our stuff into the room. clean bb report is good but dont' trust them. learn to inspect for them.
Wachapreague?

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I travel full time. 113 hotel stays so far this year, staying in mostly Holiday Inn and Hilton properties.
I haven't come across a bedbug in maybe 6 years. Hotels have gotten a lot better at treating them. Sealing mattresses, spot heat treating and giving them less places to hide have done wonders for keeping them at bay.
I still don't take any chances though. When I come home my clothes go right in the washer.
Joe

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The best option is to google "bed bug inspections" and learn how to properly inspect a room for their presence, BEFORE you move in and unpack. You'll need a good flashlight and a mirror to do it right....

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Someone had a video of a bedbug on one of the seats at the greenville grand regal theater.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Got to watch your luggage as well. I have a co-worker that is pretty sure that is how he brought some home with him. He was careful with clothes and shoes (all hung up or on top shelves, etc.) but left his suitcase sitting on the floor. Of course, it doesn't take much for bedbugs to hitch a ride so they might have come in on something else. Glad I don't travel as much as I used to at any rate.

Hazmt

Six Pointer
we've found that www.tripadvisor.com often has more reviews for places , BUT, it never hurts to have more reference sites. Since we started using www.vrbo.com over 5 yrs ago, we've NEVER found a BUGGY report there at all. I think since those places are folks personal homes/condos, they take better care of them, usually. We've used them in the backwoods of WV and coastal FL and many other states.
Thanx Witler.
When using VRBO, it is best to deal with individuals rather than "Property Managers." Three years back we went with a NC Beach property managed by "Better Beach Rentals." The actual property owner was from Charlotte, but we didn't deal with her. Ended up discovering bed bugs on day 3. Don't know how we missed them -we always strip beds and search carefully with a good light -but there they were under a pillow (3 different sizes - so they were there for awhile).

Pretty much ruined our trip -had to wash and run everything that was ours through a laundry mat dryer. Tossed big luggage that we couldn't 'dry' -120 degree heat will kill the vermin. Packed up and left early -Better Beach Rentals refunded the unused days, but did nothing about the wasted time cleaning everything or the money spend laundering everything. Turned out to be a crappy vacation. They didn't care.... Since then we have steered clear from any VRBO property not taken care of by the owners.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We need to build the wall and stop the BB from getting here in the first place.

Wonder why for real, this is starting to be a big problem when we went years and never seen the problem with them we have today.

Sucks you really can't stay anyplace with out the risk. Glad I do not need to travel for work much. Got to the point that we only carry in a small change bag and leave the rest in the truck to cut down on the chance they get home.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Got stuck in Detroit the other day, missed a connection. They put me up in the biggest crap hole hotel I ever have stayed in. No bed bugs though, I think the roaches had eaten em all.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We need to build the wall and stop the BB from getting here in the first place.

Wonder why for real, this is starting to be a big problem when we went years and never seen the problem with them we have today.

Sucks you really can't stay anyplace with out the risk. Glad I do not need to travel for work much. Got to the point that we only carry in a small change bag and leave the rest in the truck to cut down on the chance they get home.

You may be on to something here. I don’t remember anything about them when I was younger. I remember lice being a problem in school, but nothing about bed bugs until college.