Becoming saved 😇

awaken_rae

Button Buck
Hello all,
Since my last post and after reading everyone’s advice I have started to work more on my faith. I have gone to a bible study, been reading about the bible, and have been praying a lot more.
I know that you are supposed to be saved after you are baptized but, what if you were when you were a baby? I have been going to a southern baptist church. They get baptized when they are older and know whenthey have been saved. I asked a friend how she knew when she was saved and for her she said she could just feel it. She said others have different experiences such as seeing or hearing from god.
I wanted to know your experiences with being saved. Did you have a big sign, did you become saved at an older age, how did it feel when you knew?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You do not have to be baptized to be saved. Baptism is just an outward, public expression that you have accepted Christ.
Rangerxp is 100% correct.
I was brought up Methodist and "baptized" as a baby by sprinkling. In the Methodist church, if you read what that " baptism" is, it is really a charge to the parent and congregation to bring a child up as a Christian. The child later publicly accepts their baptism.

As an adult, I switch over to Southern Baptist. Before I could join the church, I had to get baptized by dunking. I told the preacher, "That's fine. It won't mean anything to me, because I'd already accepted Christ many years ago, but I'll do it for the church".

I never had any one big realization of my salvation, but rather several "smaller" less dramatic revelations that confirmed it for me. I think it can be different depending upon the person.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
2 Corinthians 5:17. All things new. 1 John gives a few things that become apparent when a person is saved. You have an affection for fellow believers, you become interested in God’s Word, you have an aversion to sin, your conscience is heightened b/c the Holy Spirit is amplifying your actions to change thinking and convictions. And Jesus is the Greatest- you have a love for the Savior that is new.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You do not have to be baptized to be saved. Baptism is just an outward, public expression that you have accepted Christ.

According to scripture, this is the model for baptism. It is a public confession of a private relationship with Christ. It is an act of obedience done AFTER a believer has accepted salvation, going from dead in sin to alive in Christ. It is symbolic and it is public. As such, it should mean something to the individual. Not for salvation itself, but as a public declaration of what God has done for them.

There is no Biblical model for infant baptism. Baptism is an act of obedience that comes after salvation. Salvation comes after an individual is aware and responsible enough to confess their sin and accept Christ. Any kind of ceremony done as a young child is a statement of the parents' faith and intent, and does not change the spiritual state of the child. Every person is responsible for their own relationship with God. It cannot be conveyed to you by anyone else, at any age.

When a person is saved, it is a transformation of heart, often called conversion. Genuine conversion is marked by many of the things Triggermortis posted above. The official sign of conversion is the gift of the Holy Spirit. He is a counselor, a guide, who lives in all believers. He serves many functions; teaching, convicting, leading, guiding, and empowering. He promises to 1) remind us of everything Jesus said and 2) lead us into all truth. Ephesians 1:13 says we are "sealed" with the H.S. who is the guarantee of our inheritance in Christ. The imagery is that when we are sealed, we are claimed by God as His and kept until that day when he returns or calls us home.

Since the H.S. is the official sign and seal of our transformation, one way to recognize when you've been saved is if you begin to grow in the "fruit" of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23). Jesus said a good tree bears good fruit and a bad tree bears bad fruit. If you are growing in these areas of fruit, and growing in the things Triggermortis mentioned above, it is a good indication that you have been saved. God often gives a believer a sense of knowing that they have been saved - you might call it a feeling. But do not expect a burning bush moment. Be very careful about assessing your relationship with God on how you feel. Much like any relationship, your feelings may be all over the map at different times. And the Devil will play on those feelings and sow seeds of doubt. Hold fast to the truth of the Bible and the promises in his Word, and be wary of feelings.

As far as how to be saved.... look up the Roman Road to salvation. Though sometimes oversimplified, It is the plan of salvation in it's most basic form. The book of Romans lays out the Gospel clearly and establishes how to be saved in Christ. When someone is seeking God, I recommend reading John first (to understand Jesus), then Romans (to understand salvation). After that read through the whole NT.

awaken_rae

Button Buck
Rangerxp is 100% correct.
I was brought up Methodist and "baptized" as a baby by sprinkling. In the Methodist church, if you read what that " baptism" is, it is really a charge to the parent and congregation to bring a child up as a Christian. The child later publicly accepts their baptism.

As an adult, I switch over to Southern Baptist. Before I could join the church, I had to get baptized by dunking. I told the preacher, "That's fine. It won't mean anything to me, because I'd already accepted Christ many years ago, but I'll do it for the church".

I never had any one big realization of my salvation, but rather several "smaller" less dramatic revelations that confirmed it for me. I think it can be different depending upon the person.

That makes sense now. I never understood before why a baby would have to be baptized.

awaken_rae

Button Buck
According to scripture, this is the model for baptism. It is a public confession of a private relationship with Christ. It is an act of obedience done AFTER a believer has accepted salvation, going from dead in sin to alive in Christ. It is symbolic and it is public. As such, it should mean something to the individual. Not for salvation itself, but as a public declaration of what God has done for them.

There is no Biblical model for infant baptism. Baptism is an act of obedience that comes after salvation. Salvation comes after an individual is aware and responsible enough to confess their sin and accept Christ. Any kind of ceremony done as a young child is a statement of the parents' faith and intent, and does not change the spiritual state of the child. Every person is responsible for their own relationship with God. It cannot be conveyed to you by anyone else, at any age.

When a person is saved, it is a transformation of heart, often called conversion. Genuine conversion is marked by many of the things Triggermortis posted above. The official sign of conversion is the gift of the Holy Spirit. He is a counselor, a guide, who lives in all believers. He serves many functions; teaching, convicting, leading, guiding, and empowering. He promises to 1) remind us of everything Jesus said and 2) lead us into all truth. Ephesians 1:13 says we are "sealed" with the H.S. who is the guarantee of our inheritance in Christ. The imagery is that when we are sealed, we are claimed by God as His and kept until that day when he returns or calls us home.

Since the H.S. is the official sign and seal of our transformation, one way to recognize when you've been saved is if you begin to grow in the "fruit" of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23). Jesus said a good tree bears good fruit and a bad tree bears bad fruit. If you are growing in these areas of fruit, and growing in the things Triggermortis mentioned above, it is a good indication that you have been saved. God often gives a believer a sense of knowing that they have been saved - you might call it a feeling. But do not expect a burning bush moment. Be very careful about assessing your relationship with God on how you feel. Much like any relationship, your feelings may be all over the map at different times. And the Devil will play on those feelings and sow seeds of doubt. Hold fast to the truth of the Bible and the promises in his Word, and be wary of feelings.

As far as how to be saved.... look up the Roman Road to salvation. Though sometimes oversimplified, It is the plan of salvation in it's most basic form. The book of Romans lays out the Gospel clearly and establishes how to be saved in Christ. When someone is seeking God, I recommend reading John first (to understand Jesus), then Romans (to understand salvation). After that read through the whole NT.
Thank you! I definitely like the symbolism of being baptized when you are older and have built a connection with god. I have a lot of reading to do in my near future and hope to have a better understanding of it all.

awaken_rae

Button Buck
2 Corinthians 5:17. All things new. 1 John gives a few things that become apparent when a person is saved. You have an affection for fellow believers, you become interested in God’s Word, you have an aversion to sin, your conscience is heightened b/c the Holy Spirit is amplifying your actions to change thinking and convictions. And Jesus is the Greatest- you have a love for the Savior that is new.

Based on what you said I believe i am on a good path then! Thank you so much đŸ™đŸ»

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead , You will be Saved .
THIS^^^^ I used to deal with doubt and insecurity of my salvation UNTIL I heard someone detail this verse....

It’s a conditional promise ... “If YOU confess with your mouth + believe in YOUR heart that Jesus is Lord and God raised Him from the dead” (emphasis on YOU because this is the part you are responsible for....

The rest Is a promise from GOD..once the above is done “YOU will be saved” (emphasis on YOU not because YOU can save yourself but rather that once you’ve done these things ... HE promises to Save YOU)

So, again it goes back to trust... do you trust God to do what He says He would do? In no way is Salvation dependent on us BUT it is conditional on the above. It’s HIS plan... that forgiveness of sins and salvation ONLY come by confessing and believing Jesus is Lord.

not in anyway knocking you as many believers struggle with doubt ... even Thomas the disciple was called “doubting Thomas “. The verse “I believe but LORD help my unbelief” rings true.

P.S. a Youth Pastor once told me “the very fact you worry about your salvation is proof you are saved as a carnal, unsaved person doesn’t think of such things. Not necessarily something you will find in Scripture but it made sense to me

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
As far as the baptism, I was baptized as a baby BUT of course didn’t come to know Christ until I was 12.... unfortunately I waited until waited until I was 18-19 to be baptized.

The Biblical example is to be baptized after profession OR as an act of profession.

Honestly Baptism today has lost a lot of its original impact from Biblical times.... back then Jews or Gentiles getting baptized was a public proclamation that they had chosen to follow Jesus and put them at risk of being ostracized by non-believing society and even their family

awaken_rae

Button Buck
THIS^^^^ I used to deal with doubt and insecurity of my salvation UNTIL I heard someone detail this verse....

It’s a conditional promise ... “If YOU confess with your mouth + believe in YOUR heart that Jesus is Lord and God raised Him from the dead” (emphasis on YOU because this is the part you are responsible for....

The rest Is a promise from GOD..once the above is done “YOU will be saved” (emphasis on YOU not because YOU can save yourself but rather that once you’ve done these things ... HE promises to Save YOU)

So, again it goes back to trust... do you trust God to do what He says He would do? In no way is Salvation dependent on us BUT it is conditional on the above. It’s HIS plan... that forgiveness of sins and salvation ONLY come by confessing and believing Jesus is Lord.

not in anyway knocking you as many believers struggle with doubt ... even Thomas the disciple was called “doubting Thomas “. The verse “I believe but LORD help my unbelief” rings true.

P.S. a Youth Pastor once told me “the very fact you worry about your salvation is proof you are saved as a carnal, unsaved person doesn’t think of such things. Not necessarily something you will find in Scripture but it made sense to me
I definitely do struggle with faith sometimes and i like what your pastor said. That makes me feel hopeful!

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
For me, I was 29 years old and was saved the month of March. We was having a revival in our Baptist church and the visiting pastor was having prayer meetings at members houses. I was saved in my house when he read Roman 10:9 that if thou SHALT confess with the mouth and SHALT believe in thine heart that God has raised him from the dead, thou SHALL be saved. Doesn't say MAY be saved...says WILL be saved. Well, I knew the minute he came into my heart and he has been there ever since and I am an old man. Been confessing him with my mouth ever since and not ashamed of it. The Bible says if you do not confess Him before men, He will not confess you before His Father....think about that for awhile. Like I said I am an old man and my days are getting shorter on this earth...would hate to think I have got this far and He not going to confess me before His Father. Here is another thought to think about....NO MAN has ever had his soul saved and regretted it.....if he regrets it he was not saved. How can a man turn down salvation and go into eternity in HELL and knowing that he turned him down.....eternity is a mighty long time to live without Jesus...a long time. Remember, God loves you beyond any thing on this earth but when He returns and raises you from the grave you will either go to Heaven with Him or go to Hell without Him....that is our choice.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I never felt the first three steps towards my Savior's grace. Almost like I was being carried. That's why "Footprints "hang in my club.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Helium hit on the point of baptism losing its impact. At our church, there are folks that want to be baptized during the week when there are only a few folks around. But that takes the point out of making it public, it seems. I won't judge them for it, as it is between them and God, but it does seem a bit different than the intent.