Beaver Stew with Homebaked Bread

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Tried my luck at a very simple stew with the beaver meat and baked some bread by hand today. Just the two bone-in beaver hams, water (also known as God's stock, the simplest, easiest stock there is for cooking), and some chopped onion.

Fried up the onions and browned the meat, then covered with water, brought to a boil, then simmered for as much time as I had before work, then turned off the stove, and simmered it an hour and a half or so some more this evening after getting home from work.

The stew is outstanding! I have baked better bread, but it is decent and bread goes well with stew. Delicious on this chilly winter night!

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_200922119.jpg
    IMG_20200121_200922119.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 72

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Looks delicious. I went through a bread making phase some years ago. My wife and kids loved it but the problem was I did too. I ended up putting on a bunch of weight so I gave it up. Now that I'm a Type 2 diabetic bread is only allowed in small portions anyway. A mutual friend of ours who shall remain nameless, gave me a hind quarter of a beaver awhile back and I cooked it in a crockpot with a bunch of vegetables. My grandkids thought it was cool to be eating something new and different like that.

I think I'm going to have to try making my own version of this recipe because it looks great.
I had some teriyaki stir fry beaver tonight for supper.
ac364dc91a1361c5f475ad69b9775f15.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk