Beaver eating?

Kane_b

Six Pointer
I dont think ill ever try it but has anyone here eaten beaver?(the animal...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Oh, boy .... here we go ...

But to give you a serious answer to your question, a buddy of mine made jerky from a beaver that was flooding his woods.

It was awful ... like chewing shoe leather.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Cooked in a crockpot with mushroom soup, potatoes, onions and carrots I can't tell it from beef or deer. And my grandkids loved it too. I think I had some at the last NCSU Wildlife Club Dinner.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Like most wild game, handling and processing along with cooking have a lot to do with the outcome. Beaver is especially so with the castor glands and the oil sacs. You get oil from the sacs or castor on the meat, you will not likely be happy with your meal. I am a lot more careful skinning one for the table.

But properly skinned and prepared is a different story. Cubed and cooked in a slow cooker like beef stew is good eats!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You really need to go the the aforementioned Wild Game Dinner that will be in CARY, probably Feb. or March. I have been telling folks that "meat is meat", it all depends on how you manage it, as QBD said.

TKL

Four Pointer
It makes as good of a stew as you will find if prepared correctly. We used to cook it several times a year.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Beaver is great stuff, since they are vegetarians, eating only bark.
We had it at a trappers convention and my wife could NOT believe how good it was!

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Came here to say Steven Rinella has a recipe for beaver tail in his new cookbook. Also heck out MeatEater on Netfilx, by far the best show on Netflix right now
I watch that show when I get home from work. Comes on one of my hunting channels at 6 & 6:30. The meals he prepares look mighty tasty.

Prune

Four Pointer
Backstraps are great on grill or in stew ...Clean up fat off back legs and grind into burger for chili and tacos..Is a very lean high protien meat

Heart , liver and organs give to the dog.
Tails for dog chews or beaver tail oil.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I was going to ask a serious question but I'm not going to ask because I know I'm not going to get a serious answer and I don't intend to be the one who causes the subject to go off into the wild blue yonder.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Like most wild game, handling and processing along with cooking have a lot to do with the outcome. Beaver is especially so with the castor glands and the oil sacs. You get oil from the sacs or castor on the meat, you will not likely be happy with your meal. I am a lot more careful skinning one for the table.

But properly skinned and prepared is a different story. Cubed and cooked in a slow cooker like beef stew is good eats!

Harold...so you usually just use extra caution when cutting out glands and sacks...then get a fresh knife to butcher with or just wash the knife off?

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remove any meat for consumption before I remove the castor and oil sacs. Clean knife and new gloves after skinning to remove what I intend to eat.