Bears - What attracts them, what do they avoid

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
Getting ready to put out a couple new food plots and we are near a bear sanctuary.

What have you planted that the bears will leave alone?
What have you planted that the bears tear up?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What will they leave alone, almost nothing. They will eat ATV seats, grass, of course corn, potatoes about any grain. They absolutely love sweet potatoes and corn.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Everything a deer eats a bear will eat,an electric will slow them down but after awhile they will just get mad a tear it down.If a bear wants to get in it he will.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They don't care much for electricity. A solar powered high tensile wire electric fence will slow them down.
We used a high voltage fence charger to keep them out of our bees in Florida. It worked well until it gets shorted out for some reason then they are toast.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
We killed a small one 225 lbs a few years ago that was tearing up a friends bee hives he couldn't figure out how he was getting to the hives electric fence was not being torn down,I took a hound around the backside of the fence to strike his track and found were he had been crawling under the fence to get to the hives.When we killed him he had a stripe down his back with almost no hair on it.I take it the fence burned it off.

Last edited:

muzzleodor2

Button Buck
Water balloons full of the strongest ammonia you can buy duct taped to feeders has been used effectively in the past.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Water balloons full of the strongest ammonia you can buy duct taped to feeders has been used effectively in the past.

Water balloons with ammonia or bleach in them are not the way to go,if it gets into the eyes of a bear it is going to blind it more then likely ending up with the bears death by starvation or other reasons , kinda harsh way to protect something that you have put in the bears living room to attract another animal and possibly could lead to a cruelty to animals ticket and alot of bad press for the person doing it and hunters in general.Not trying to offend anybody but doing something like this is just as low as a bear hunter getting a bear hooked on sugar then taking it away causing the bear to go into withdrawal.If you are going to use ammonia or bleach pour it on the ground and refresh it every week.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Water balloons with ammonia or bleach in them are not the way to go,if it gets into the eyes of a bear it is going to blind it more then likely ending up with the bears death by starvation or other reasons , kinda harsh way to protect something that you have put in the bears living room to attract another animal and possibly could lead to a cruelty to animals ticket and alot of bad press for the person doing it and hunters in general.Not trying to offend anybody but doing something like this is just as low as a bear hunter getting a bear hooked on sugar then taking it away causing the bear to go into withdrawal.If you are going to use ammonia or bleach pour it on the ground and refresh it every week.

I agree on the chemical use. Bad juju..

But..... Dude back home used a water balloon with some olive oil/water and as much cayenne pepper as the mix would take hung from his bird feeders.

They stayed away after they got the heat on their nose and mouth.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
We need to accept other forms of wildlife reaping the rewards of our planting or baiting. The only other fool proof way to not attract bears, coons, and feral pigs is to stop feeding them. And yes....I dump corn and know the risks.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
OK - so the answer is, everything you plant will attract bears eventually.

Was kinda hoping that soybeans or something like that would decrease bear damage to my planting