Bears are gettin' bold 'round here...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One evening last week, just before dark, the dogs went off. Raising pure cane, Cowboy was snarling and growling, not their normal "somebody's here!" noises. I walked out with the AR in time to see a pretty fair size bear exit my shed and head east into the woods. Next morning I found the big galvanized trash can that I keep the dog's food in overturned and spilled.

This morning the same thing happened, dogs in their pen going ballistic, but when I went out it was standing across the ditch from me no more than 15 yards away. Not a huge bear but decent. It stood there for a few seconds looking at me without a care in the world and then ambled off down the field before crossing the ditch onto the back side of my place.
There's a fair amount of thick woods around me to the south and east. This one's getting a little too friendly for my taste.....

Attachments

• BooBoo.jpg
    BooBoo.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 122
  • BooBoo2.jpg
    BooBoo2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 124

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Pour clorox or something with ammonia in it around your shed refresh it every couple of days he will leave, If you have an outside trash can wash it out with clorox every time you empty. You can also soak deordorant soap bars in hot sauce for a few days an hang them up around your yard they will lick or eat some of it gives them and upset stomach.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a buddy in Pa. that had one coming in his yard and up on his deck. It was a 300+# one. I told him that it was going to cause trouble and that obviously someone close had been feeding it. It did, started tearing the siding off his house. It wasn't one bit scared of him, he could fire shots right in the ground at it and it would just look at him.

I told him to get some rubber slugs or bean bag rounds for his 12 ga and burn his ass good out his window and that most likely would send his butt packing. It worked.

Reactions: RJ1

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I have a buddy in Pa. that had one coming in his yard and up on his deck. It was a 300+# one. I told him that it was going to cause trouble and that obviously someone close had been feeding it. It did, started tearing the siding off his house. It wasn't one bit scared of him, he could fire shots right in the ground at it and it would just look at him.

I told him to get some rubber slugs or bean bag rounds for his 12 ga and burn his ass good out his window and that most likely would send his butt packing. It worked.

My Moms' friend in PA was feeding one. Pops kept telling them to stop but they didn't. The feeding folks went on vacation once for 2 weeks and the bear broke in and destroyed their house. It ripped cabinets off the hinges pulled over the fridge, opened canned goods, etc.. Peed, pooped, and bled, everywhere. It got in by breaking the sliding glass doors on the deck. She would throw their leftovers out to it while standing on the deck. it probably went up there wondering why no food was coming down.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Moms' friend in PA was feeding one. Pops kept telling them to stop but they didn't. The feeding folks went on vacation once for 2 weeks and the bear broke in and destroyed their house. It ripped cabinets off the hinges pulled over the fridge, opened canned goods, etc.. Peed, pooped, and bled, everywhere. It got in by breaking the sliding glass doors on the deck. She would throw their leftovers out to it while standing on the deck. it probably went up there wondering why no food was coming down.
People have no clue how strong they can be. Several years ago when I was hunting down east most of the time and bears were on the move more inland. A farmer had one hanging around where they were augering corn in grain bins. All was good and well as long as he was getting all he wanted from spillage. But when that dried up he decided to make some spilliage of his own. He hooked his claws in the tin in the seams of that grain bin and ripped a hole in the side of it. Needless to say he wore his welcome out.

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Saw a lady in the Smokys years ago feeding a bear marshmallows. All went well till she ran out. Bear went after her white tennis shoe. Told my girlfriend to get my Colt out of the glove box. She said, " you're not going to shoot that bear are you". I said no, but if the bear gets hold of her, I'll put her out of her misery. That relationship didn't last long.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah....he has lasted one time too many and you posted it online. I would already be getting over the soreness from digging the hole.
As big as the first one was that came by I'd need a backhoe....looked like a 55 gallon drum walking off.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
As big as the first one was that came by I'd need a backhoe....looked like a 55 gallon drum walking off.

I'd like to come down and bring a few hounds and help you out, however if I am not mistaken you live in Pamlico County and hunting bear there with hounds is a no no. I would pay some large money for a lease to hunt bear with hounds there. I know for a fact they are some real monster black bear roaming around there.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd like to come down and bring a few hounds and help you out, however if I am not mistaken you live in Pamlico County and hunting bear there with hounds is a no no. I would pay some large money for a lease to hunt bear with hounds there. I know for a fact they are some real monster black bear roaming around there.
And I don't understand that either. Several counties bordering Pamlico County do if I understand correctly. My BIL has 100 acres on a creek nearby, I've seen sign that look like Sasquatch was living on that land....

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Bears are lazy. They feed them hard on the coast up to and including the season and the bears just eat and then go rest 100 yards away all day then come back to eat. Thats why they are so big I bet there are bait piles every 1/2 mile near my place.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Bears are lazy. They feed them hard on the coast up to and including the season and the bears just eat and then go rest 100 yards away all day then come back to eat. Thats why they are so big I bet there are bait piles every 1/2 mile near my place.

The 880 lb bear that was killed here in Craven County several years ago was living on a hog farm , eating hog carcasses out of a dumpster. That bear didn't have to do anything but get fat.

Mike

kahunter

Eight Pointer
The 880 lb bear that was killed here in Craven County several years ago was living on a hog farm , eating hog carcasses out of a dumpster. That bear didn't have to do anything but get fat.

Mike
Yep my buddies in Tyrrell county say the hardest thing about killing a big bear (6 or 700 lb plus) is getting it out of the swamp. Thing can barely run. They dont get that big by being dumb though...

Day old honey buns used to be the bait of choice around my farm (before we started hunting there) until it became illegal.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
And I don't understand that either. Several counties bordering Pamlico County do if I understand correctly. My BIL has 100 acres on a creek nearby, I've seen sign that look like Sasquatch was living on that land....

I have hunted both counties that border Pamlico County, took out some rally nice ones in both counties however if you get on one anywhere within a mile of the county line they head right for it. Had some huge ones according to the tracks slip across it several times.

RJ1

Ten Pointer

Mike

I saw that bear about 6 hours after it was killed it was massive.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
People have no clue how strong they can be. Several years ago when I was hunting down east most of the time and bears were on the move more inland. A farmer had one hanging around where they were augering corn in grain bins. All was good and well as long as he was getting all he wanted from spillage. But when that dried up he decided to make some spilliage of his own. He hooked his claws in the tin in the seams of that grain bin and ripped a hole in the side of it. Needless to say he wore his welcome out.
Dang!!! That would take some strength. And strong claws.

Hines

Spike
I hope i'm not jinxing it, but i'm seeing less cubs on our cams this year. BUT, it's still early in the year. Once berries start being fully ripe i'm sure that will change.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just as an aside, I was shocked to see a photo the other day of a black bear on a neighbor's deck in an adjacent subdivision right here in NW Wake County.