Bearded hen

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Just saw that they posted a video about the bearded hen deal. Haven't listened to it yet but I'm sure it addresses your concerns.
I watched it last night. I really didn't think it was necessary for them to discuss it since it was simply a legal kill but it was interesting that I think most of them disagreed with it.

By the way, the guy that killed the turkey has an old school bus that he basically turned into a hunting cabin on wheels. That thing is nice. He takes it all over the county. I doubt that dude is married.

np307

Ten Pointer
I watched it last night. I really didn't think it was necessary for them to discuss it since it was simply a legal kill but it was interesting that I think most of them disagreed with it.

By the way, the guy that killed the turkey has an old school bus that he basically turned into a hunting cabin on wheels. That thing is nice. He takes it all over the county. I doubt that dude is married.
Yeah, Sam's bus is pretty wild. He's a big public lands proponent and that's cool, but I was getting tired of watching him miss birds.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
curious as to what difference the time of year makes? any dead hen isn't gonna have her next set of eggs,,,,

I killed a bearded hen once,,,best part was the eggs for breakfast!!

"Spring gobbler season" - I would never shoot a hen in the spring. Just not what I'm after.

"Fall either-sex season" - I would gladly shoot a hen most falls. I prefer a jake or tom, but a hen is also a trophy in the fall.

old school

Six Pointer
Had a fly down just outside of the decoys on the last day of the season while hunting with my son. We looked at each other and said at the same time, " bearded hen ! " We watched as she strolled up to our Deception decoy, "Boss Hen", and proceeded to beat her like she owned her. Sporting a thin 7 to 8 inch beard, we let her have at it and then watched her ease on out of range. Now we hunt an area where we are not blessed with an abundance of turkeys and the landowner would have not taken kindly at all to us taking any kind of hen. "Can't have pigs if you kill your sows" you know. And then there's that other adage that "bearded hens help produce multiple bearded gobblers". Now I know there's no proof in that last local theory, but for sure if we had easily taken her out then she sure enough would not have produced any " pigs" this spring....bearded or shaved! Now we did not go home empty handed that last day. I used my son's phone to film him taking a good Tom with, as fate would have it, a 10.5 inch and a 5.5 inch double beard! Yep, filled his tags with a double beard maybe thanks to Mama who had done the fly down an hour earlier !?!?!?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I may or may not be looking at this right but I've always thought why even make bearded hens legal if a person can't tell difference between hen and gobbler should they really be spring hunting till they can? I guess you could say there was lot brush but if you can't tell what your shooting at then shouldn't be taking the shot

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I just don’t get the “hens are precious in the spring but killable in the fall” thing,,,seems oxymoronic to me but to each there own

I do get the “spring is for playing with love-dumbed gobblers”,,,,otherwise it would be too much like southern deer stand hunting,,,

Me, killed that bearded hen once, likely never again but who knows,,,,but sure don’t regret it,,,third or fourth funnest hunt I’ve had ( she came in PISSED at my rowdy calling ready to kick butt!!)

I like my interactions with the birds so I hunt them like I like too,,,

I (nearly) allows try something ( if it’s legal) just so when I criticize it comes from some experience and not just personal bias,,,,bearded hen,,crossbow,,,phased plasma rifles,,,etc

I don’t think it’s a “they are legal cause folks can’t tell the difference” thing but maybe it is,,,I wasn’t there when the rules were adopted

Next turkey season I’m heading west (that’s the plan anyhow),,,,so I can see if them birds are as easy as I am told ,,,,I need easy!!! ?

ol bob

Six Pointer
What gets me is people saying if its legal kill it ,but on ever forum you get on everyone is crying that they don't have turkeys now what can we do, start by not killing hens.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I just don’t get the “hens are precious in the spring but killable in the fall” thing,,,seems oxymoronic to me but to each there own

I do get the “spring is for playing with love-dumbed gobblers”,,,,otherwise it would be too much like southern deer stand hunting,,,

Me, killed that bearded hen once, likely never again but who knows,,,,but sure don’t regret it,,,third or fourth funnest hunt I’ve had ( she came in PISSED at my rowdy calling ready to kick butt!!)

I like my interactions with the birds so I hunt them like I like too,,,

I (nearly) allows try something ( if it’s legal) just so when I criticize it comes from some experience and not just personal bias,,,,bearded hen,,crossbow,,,phased plasma rifles,,,etc

I don’t think it’s a “they are legal cause folks can’t tell the difference” thing but maybe it is,,,I wasn’t there when the rules were adopted

Next turkey season I’m heading west (that’s the plan anyhow),,,,so I can see if them birds are as easy as I am told ,,,,I need easy!!! ?
Several states I hunt that have them legal in spring is because of worried hunter will mistakenly kill which is silly to me when your hunting arguably the most risky way all camo making turkey sounds some with dekes you should be able identify a gobbler from a hen. As far As the spring vs fall its just all about the fragility of turkeys numbers hens should be protected As much as can during nesting. This is based on idea that most hens should be nesting when season comes in so whether you shoot a bearded hen legally or accidently shoot hen that is with gobbler that nest is lost. I have no regret over the hen I shot I stand by the number of bearded hens shot is so insignificant to the state as whole it won't hurt but ill never do it again just don't have desire and don't want leave potential nest abandoned. The whole spring hunt is designed ideally to kill surplus gobblers and protect nesting hens. I would be willing to bet more hens are accidentally killed with stray shot than bearded due to our season opening to early. Oh and by way easy west hunting is all about the property your hunting it can be pure cake walk if on right ranch or just as challenging if on pressured low bird number area. Of course there is that crazy weather that can make it tough as well

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes on most of that turkey foot excelt

If pop is so fragile why kill a hen in the fall? Dead hens don’t nest whether killed in spring or fall

If the pop can take fall killing of hens then pop is (or should be) fine

It’s like the talk on killing does early or late in the season ,,,some won’t kill late because “they are pregnant”,,,,,dead is dead and dead females don’t have their next set of young,,,,doesn’t matter if dead before or after

I know,,,the poor bucks/gobblers went to ALL that effort,,, blarney

Anyhow,,,ignore my philosophical banter,,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yes on most of that turkey foot excelt

If pop is so fragile why kill a hen in the fall? Dead hens don’t nest whether killed in spring or fall

If the pop can take fall killing of hens then pop is (or should be) fine

It’s like the talk on killing does early or late in the season ,,,some won’t kill late because “they are pregnant”,,,,,dead is dead and dead females don’t have their next set of young,,,,doesn’t matter if dead before or after

I know,,,the poor bucks/gobblers went to ALL that effort,,, blarney

Anyhow,,,ignore my philosophical banter,,,
Its just all about biologically protecting them as they nest vs fall take into account in fall hen kills are low most anywhere. In think its thought of losing that potential nest. Can't hardly compare deer way more stable population and more easily renewable. Turkey numbers can drop fairly quickly as several states have seen I've seen top tier counties in Tenn for long time dwindled to poor hunting in few years time. Just real fragile species. If you look into states that have fall hunting the tags are usually restricted to account for the hen kills some states change up number fall tags handed out each year or close areas of state if think to many hens getting killed or some bad hatches. The truth is for most states there isn't enough fall participation to do any damage on hen numbers. As far as all this about dogging someone killing bearded hen I think its lot bandwagon jumpers they should look up actual harvest for spring the number is very low from all states I've seen that keep up with it. Me myself I just can't wrap my head around why one should be legal in spring even though I know its not gonna damage population its just grained in my head to protect nesting hens. All in all its fun conversation to have i always like hearing different points of view. I like what you said about the one being pissed the Merriam I killed out west was in half strut was very fun hunt and quite challenge getting into range I had plenty tags in more than one state so was no big deal burning one

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know that stuff

Turkeys aren’t quail - longer life expectancy
They are fragile pop wise because they are dumb butts and like to die to easy

It is fun discussing but too many think differing opinions means someone doesn’t know data on the subject

That merriams? Fun hunt from the read - and at the end of the day, it’s about personal choices within the law

Take care

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
They claimed,it was in a area,infested with turkey's, they already called in 13 gobblers and,he,missed,then snack up on the,hen,why not wait on a gobbler,he killed a hen that would,have hatch numerous poults, Aaron and the others did not like,it and,got alotnof hate from allowing it and showing it,they said itbwas legal and had no reason to hide it,but I bet they won't let him kill another hen.Lost subscribers and negative comments hurts. The TP is a great lot of guys who have a good thing going,somenof,there tactics are,a little bit overrated, but seem to work,I like them,sure would like,to hunt some ofthe ground they do.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Personally I wouldn't have shot a bearded hen where I hunt but its more because of population density than any strong feelings about it being a hen otherwise. If his statement about there being a strong turkey populating in that area is true, which I have no reason to believe it isn't, than I don't see anything wrong with what he did. In my opinion, its no different than killing a doe or a sow bear. At the end of the day its legal and he made a personal choice to harvest an animal. I'm surprised at so many people saying it was unethical. I know legal and ethical don't always go hand and hand but in this instance it definitely didn't reach unethical in my opinion even if public opinion says its frowned upon.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wish NC had a statewide fall season, outside of deer season- and yeah we’d have to make hunting deer over corn illegal. A win-win. We may even be able to afford an extra tag for the fall...

not sure of the biology (so many claim flock is down) but that could be fun,,,,maybe I need to travel in the fall to a state with a fall season,,,,seems to be more of a northern thing? Florida had a fall season when I lived there,,,not sure if it still does (need to check the regs),,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The baiting is the issue for us and fall season at least the most talked about. I myself would love it I hunted the winter season each year it was open but if they gonna do it need to quit with the half hearted effort and give extra tag even if they want to limit them to start with lottery draw would be better than burning a spring tag. I'm not sure if their also concerned about over harvest but I'd bet my house after few years participation would be low enough that the few hens killed wouldn't hurt a thing. Fall hunting has lost so much interest than when I was young boy in Va. So much concentration on deer. I can think of more than one reason NC ain't seeing fall season anytime soon not just baiting but toss in trying to time it where deer hunters aren't picking off birds even if no baiting. It would work fine except in east with early gun stsrt. piedmont west could do week long season right after western Bkackpowder went out but I know I'm just dreaming. Best shot would be winter season 2 or 3 weeks after first Jan give time for corn to get cleaned up.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
not sure of the biology (so many claim flock is down) but that could be fun,,,,maybe I need to travel in the fall to a state with a fall season,,,,seems to be more of a northern thing? Florida had a fall season when I lived there,,,not sure if it still does (need to check the regs),,,
Fla did last I knew so does Ala MISS Tenn Va ky west Va Ohio Pa I can think of off top my head that are reasonably close. Texas would be prime fall spot Rios galore. I've only fall hunted easterns I would absolutely love to chase Rio and merriams in fall them hens are so noisy and call friendly in spring compared to easterns I bet it'd be blast hopefully one day I get chance

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
One of best things about fall hunting turkeys is most all states you have another species to hunt at same time hard to beat combo hunting

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’ve been eyeballing Montana, chase grouse with my dog and chase a turkey with the 32-20,,,,,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been eyeballing Montana, chase grouse with my dog and chase a turkey with the 32-20,,,,,,
Heck yeah another state as you already know is Wis with both them the turkeys are for sure there my understanding grouse cycles. If hit both on high could be blast Heck let that dog flush flock turkeys best way to call one back in. Montana is state we've been debating hitting never been but from pics looks like place I'd love to go

JD1107

I wish NC had a statewide fall season, outside of deer season- and yeah we’d have to make hunting deer over corn illegal. A win-win. We may even be able to afford an extra tag for the fall...
I’d love to have a fall season as well, but after the way I saw a lot of hunters (old and young) act this season it wouldn’t take long before we’re in trouble and our flock is hurting.. I can see it now.. high powered rifles dropping toms at 300yards... our season might not have been a record setting year, but I guarantee it would have been if all of the turkeys killed this year were reported. Which happens every year but this season really made me a believer.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My Granddad taught me it was counter-productive to kill your egg layers. He also said if I ever killed a hen, he'd take my gun. There used to be a "Fall" (more like winter) turkey season in 5 counties that bordered Virginia about 15 years ago where shooting hens was legal. I hunted in Granville County then and had hens and jakes in range, but couldn't make myself pull the trigger. I hunt for meat, so why spend a tag on something that weighs half as much as a Spring gobbler? I also love to hunt gobblers in the Spring. The gobbling , strutting, and responding to calls is a major bonus to go along with the meat.

If it's legal and worth tagging to the hunter, who am I to say how anybody else spends their tags? All jakes and hens are safe around me.

Jim