Bear in Harnett County

Eubanks01

Eight Pointer
Buddy was out checking cams today and much to our surprise we have pictures of a bear. Our lease is not far down highway 24 and 87.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 75

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Doesn't surprise me. My first coon hunt in Scotland county I came up on a marked tree where a bear had torn it up. I had to look twice but there was no doubt what it was. I have hunted bear long enough to know exactly what one looks like but I didn't say a word about it. It wasn't long to one of the guys that deer hunt in the club was posting pics of one in a clearcut on an adjacent tract he took one morning going to work. I knew I wasn't seeing things then. LOL

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are gonna be all over Putt this Fall . They going to be up and down the Little river and Barbeque creek in a few years.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Gives you something else to think about slipping through the dark woods to and from your stand. :cool:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
That's a nice bear,good looking coat make a nice rug. You would be surprised by how many times you have already been near a black bear an didn't know they were there.Unless you put one in a tight 98% of the time he is going to move off and you will not know they were even there.For the other 2% of the time they will be no doubt they are upset with you being there and they will let you know it.You stand a better chance of getting struck by lighting than getting into situation with a black bear.However you do improve your chances of having an encounter with one if you are baiting deer,several times in the last few years I have had to go get still hunters who had a bear come into their bait pile at dark and decided to camp out there for awhile.You know everything in the woods likes a free meal.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
been waiting to see someone post about a bear in harnett ,our land is in harnett also ,and your right not exactly want I want to walk up on in the dark.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
That was 7-10 years ago. About the time they put Harnett in the established bear range. Good luck walking up on a bear in the dark. I live in Bladen where bears are rather common and you rarely ever see one alive. Just tracks. I would worry more about stinging insects, no-shoulders or maybe the occasional two-legged critter while walking through the woods.