Bear Hunting with Hounds

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
They tell a story at one of he clubs I belong to about a farmer who owned land next to the club that got the reputation for killing hunting dogs, hounds would get on his land and never be seen again, I don't know if he deserved the rep or not happened long before I joined the club. After a couple of years of this happening seems the farmer had a run of bad luck, barns and equip catching on fire by chance when the hunters stopped having hounds disappear the farmers bad luck seemed to end.
Funny how that works

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They tell a story at one of he clubs I belong to about a farmer who owned land next to the club that got the reputation for killing hunting dogs, hounds would get on his land and never be seen again, I don't know if he deserved the rep or not happened long before I joined the club. After a couple of years of this happening seems the farmer had a run of bad luck, barns and equip catching on fire by chance when the hunters stopped having hounds disappear the farmers bad luck seemed to end.
I could tell almost an identical story. A local guy here had a reputation for killing dogs that got on his farm, had it for years. Odd thing about it he was a big fox hunter and hunted all over the community. Anyway he killed the wrong two dogs that belonged to a coon hunter, and no it wasn't me. The farmer raised registered angus cattle. Seemed like every year on or about the same time he killed that guys two dogs he mysteriously lost two prime angus cows and that continued to the farmer died. To the best of my memory that was about 12-14 years. I am pretty sure if he would have lived to 100 had the fellow that lost the dogs to him lived this would have still been going on.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I could tell almost an identical story. A local guy here had a reputation for killing dogs that got on his farm, had it for years. Odd thing about it he was a big fox hunter and hunted all over the community. Anyway he killed the wrong two dogs that belonged to a coon hunter, and no it wasn't me. The farmer raised registered angus cattle. Seemed like every year on or about the same time he killed that guys two dogs he mysteriously lost two prime angus cows and that continued to the farmer died. To the best of my memory that was about 12-14 years. I am pretty sure if he would have lived to 100 had the fellow that lost the dogs to him lived this would have still been going on.
Definitely makes it more bizarre he was a fox hunter. Infighting between different groups of hunters is a good way for the antis to drive a wedge between us and make us look bad. That being said, if another “outdoorsman” killed my dogs, I wouldn’t turn the other cheek either

Reactions: RJ1

RJ1

Ten Pointer
He may have been a fox hunter, but he was not a true houndsman, I love to raise and hunt bear and fox hounds but in truth I just love to here hounds run doesn't matter to me what he's running. Very seldom do I bear hunt on club land on Saturday's during the season unless there's a large group that wants to I leave it to the locals to run their deer hounds if I do it always one of the larger clubs I belong and they stay on one side and I on the other as best we can.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
He may have been a fox hunter, but he was not a true houndsman, I love to raise and hunt bear and fox hounds but in truth I just love to here hounds run doesn't matter to me what he's running. Very seldom do I bear hunt on club land on Saturday's during the season unless there's a large group that wants to I leave it to the locals to run their deer hounds if I do it always one of the larger clubs I belong and they stay on one side and I on the other as best we can.
You did a better job of making my point than I did lol. Just bc a man does a certain outdoor hunting activity doesn’t make him a true outdoorsman.