Bear Hunting with Hounds

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
When I was new to the forum and new to hunting , I came on here asking about going with someone to let me watch em run their hounds. Several folks on here suggested that I build relationships with people in the community so they trust me and know I’m not some anti hunter or trouble maker with some bad intentions. I took yalls advice and didn’t ask people for the past 3 years. Finally mentioned it to the wife of a guy who goes around here. Just ran into him at the store and he brought it up and said he’d be glad to take me this season. I told him I would’ve asked sooner but some fellas had suggested I don’t until people knew me and trusted me. He said “that was good advice. We will have fun this season.” Can’t wait

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Should be lot fun especially with mtns growing bear population and no better way to get on a bear than with dogs be looking forward to stories.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You will love it, did it for years. Most of the guys with the dogs care absolutely nothing about killing the bears, they just go to work/hear the dogs and get the young guns and first timers on bears. I know I did it for years.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You will love it, did it for years. Most of the guys with the dogs care absolutely nothing about killing the bears, they just go to work/hear the dogs and get the young guns and first timers on bears. I know I did it for years.
That’s what he was saying too. Matter of fact, you were one of the guys who suggested I let people get to know me for awhile before asking. Appreciate ya

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s what he was saying too. Matter of fact, you were one of the guys who suggested I let people get to know me for awhile before asking. Appreciate ya
Most of your bear hunters, especially in the mountains if they have much age on them have had a bad episode with "outsiders". If they don't know you or you don't have a darn good recommendation they aren't going to have anything to do with you and usually will always look on you as an "outsider" no matter how long you have been around if you approach them too early. If you do like you did and bide your time and let them figure out you are ok and not a transplant put there to spy on them they will warm up to you and wind up making some lifelong friends.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Most of your bear hunters, especially in the mountains if they have much age on them have had a bad episode with "outsiders". If they don't know you or you don't have a darn good recommendation they aren't going to have anything to do with you and usually will always look on you as an "outsider" no matter how long you have been around if you approach them too early. If you do like you did and bide your time and let them figure out you are ok and not a transplant put there to spy on them they will warm up to you and wind up making some lifelong friends.
Amen to that.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Just some advice, go ahead and pour a 10x40 slab . It will save you some work latter on . You think you only want two then you see one you got to have but you have to buy a pair then your buddies will have puppies and you need one of those. 😂 Good luck

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Just some advice, go ahead and pour a 10x40 slab . It will save you some work latter on . You think you only want two then you see one you got to have but you have to buy a pair then your buddies will have puppies and you need one of those. 😂 Good luck
I started out I just need one coon dog. 4 blue dogs and a Plott later I’m building more kennels God only knows what’ll be next haha

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yep, blue dog is offering me a pup from a dog he hasn’t even bred yet

Reactions: RJ1

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Yep, blue dog is offering me a pup from a dog he hasn’t even bred yet

I talked to a friend on mine today and agreed to buy half the puppies and pay for the stud fee if he would breed one of his females. She is a bear hunting machine I would have tried to buy her but I saw him walk away from some really large money that a man put on the hood of a truck last year when he tried to buy her.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Those kind of dogs are hard to find and once you own one it's almost impossible to replace. I had one. A fellow came to my pens one day and asked what it would take for him to own him . I jokingly gave him a number that would buy a new truck and he went to his truck and returned with a bank bag and told me to count what I needed. I haven't been able to replace that dog .

timber

Twelve Pointer
New sombody down east some years back that had some high dollar bear dogs. Not sure of the reasoning but sombody went to his pen and poisioned them. Think he had idea who may have done it but never heard if they found out for sure who did it

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
New sombody down east some years back that had some high dollar bear dogs. Not sure of the reasoning but sombody went to his pen and poisioned them. Think he had idea who may have done it but never heard if they found out for sure who did it
Wow that’s dirty as hell. I’d be out for blood. That’s heartbreaking. Even if it was just my mix breed mutts

timber

Twelve Pointer
Wow that’s dirty as hell. I’d be out for blood. That’s heartbreaking. Even if it was just my mix breed mutts

yes. Not sure if they ever proved who did it. We bought some fox and bobcat dogs from him. Never bear hunted with him but was suppose to been several good bear dogs in the group

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just happened this week in Craven Co. I believe to a guy. 19 dogs mysteriously died in his kennel. Necropsies are being performed. I hope it isn’t as it appears. If it is someone needs to be hanged.

Reactions: RJ1

timber

Twelve Pointer
Only time we had any poisoned was when we were fox hunting. Caught a fox started getting dogs up and couple came back sick. Guy hunting with took them to vet one made it other one didn’t. Vet said they were poisoned. We got checking around where the dogs were at. Found out there was a Mexican living there and had some roosters tied up in the woods. The foxes had been getting some of them. So he took a couple of the dead chickens and poisoned them with something then put them out in the woods for the fox. He didn’t have anything so want worth perusing to get reimbursed for the dog

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Actually poisoning has been more prominent since coyotes have come on the scene. Fools think that it is ok to throw out stuff for them and don't have the sense that all the non target animals that pick it up. Also 99% of the time they use pesticides to do this and are compounding the charge they are committing with a felony.

But when you have a whole kennel full of dogs die that isn't a random accident most of the time. That is a wanton act that should be addressed.

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Actually poisoning has been more prominent since coyotes have come on the scene. Fools think that it is ok to throw out stuff for them and don't have the sense that all the non target animals that pick it up. Also 99% of the time they use pesticides to do this and are compounding the charge they are committing with a felony.

But when you have a whole kennel full of dogs die that isn't a random accident most of the time. That is a wanton act that should be addressed.
You took the words outta my mouth. I trapped beaver for a guy. Asked him if I could trap some coyotes. He said “no I put poison in chicken meat and leave it out to kill the coyotes.” I asked him how he controls what critters eat it and what don’t. He said “it don’t matter as long as some coyotes died.” You can imagine what I said to him. I won’t repeat it here. But I prayed that he’s ate up with beavers on his farm properties .

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You took the words outta my mouth. I trapped beaver for a guy. Asked him if I could trap some coyotes. He said “no I put poison in chicken meat and leave it out to kill the coyotes.” I asked him how he controls what critters eat it and what don’t. He said “it don’t matter as long as some coyotes died.” You can imagine what I said to him. I won’t repeat it here. But I prayed that he’s ate up with beavers on his farm properties .
When you have a job to do especially for the public you are supposed to remain neutral but people that do stuff like that it is very hard not to pursue them with a little extra enthusiasm. And quite frankly I don't know anyone in the business that doesn't when they get wind of someone that is doing it.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
When you have a job to do especially for the public you are supposed to remain neutral but people that do stuff like that it is very hard not to pursue them with a little extra enthusiasm. And quite frankly I don't know anyone in the business that doesn't when they get wind of someone that is doing it.
Amen to that. It was a “pro bono” job during regular trapping season and it was 3 counties over from where I live. I cut my losses and told em how I felt .

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
The first dog I ever had growing up got poisoned by my neighbor. I was young but remember finding him dead and having to get my dad to go get him. No one ever told me who poisoned him until the man died a couple years ago.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
They tell a story at one of he clubs I belong to about a farmer who owned land next to the club that got the reputation for killing hunting dogs, hounds would get on his land and never be seen again, I don't know if he deserved the rep or not happened long before I joined the club. After a couple of years of this happening seems the farmer had a run of bad luck, barns and equip catching on fire by chance when the hunters stopped having hounds disappear the farmers bad luck seemed to end.