BEAR HUNT LEASE

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I know you were,I just don't want a novice bear hunter to get a ticket,had a non hunting friend of mine get one for putting out donuts so his wife could take pictures of bear wouldn't listen to me ,I told him you couldn't do that no matter what time of the year it is or what you are doing it for he said he had read it on the internet as long as its not hunting season and he is not hunting over it he could do it.Well the GW and the judge didn't listen to him.I think his fine was somewhere around $2,000.

Probably would’ve came out cheaper if he’d been caught hunting over it............................

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Anyone who wants to hunt bear in WVA or looking for a lease that has bears and don’t care to drive to WVA send me a pm I’m helping one guy here already on my lease this year but there are are a few leases that I know of that are needing members and you won’t be limited for just bear .. just thought I’d post this to help I know it’s out of state but just trying to help and do my part for being on your forum thanks Doug ..

Dinny

Button Buck
UPDATE: I gave WVA a try this year and even hunted in Pasquotank County once to no avail. I have discovered the Weyerhaeuser site listings and contacted a few lease holders in Tyrell, Craven, and Beufort Counties. $850-$1000 a year to be a club member is pretty steep for me. That takes away from taxidermy funds later on if/when I get a decent bear. Each of the clubs allows me to bring a guest up to 3 times per year and they pay $20-$40 each time. Is it generally acceptable to charge my guests to offset my yearly membership fee?

Thanks, Dinny

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
UPDATE: I gave WVA a try this year and even hunted in Pasquotank County once to no avail. I have discovered the Weyerhaeuser site listings and contacted a few lease holders in Tyrell, Craven, and Beufort Counties. $850-$1000 a year to be a club member is pretty steep for me. That takes away from taxidermy funds later on if/when I get a decent bear. Each of the clubs allows me to bring a guest up to 3 times per year and they pay $20-$40 each time. Is it generally acceptable to charge my gueststo offset my yearly membership fee?

Thanks, Dinny
I wouldn't, if they are my guest they would be my friend and I wouldn't charge them. In fact in the past many times when I was in a club that charged a quest fee if I took someone I paid the guest fee.

Dinny

Button Buck
Point well taken nccatfisher. At no time in the foreseeable future do I see being able to afford the membership fee in the first place so it's probably a moot point anyways.

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny

Button Buck
You don’t have to mount a bear. You could just eat it and save $800.

While that's absolutely true, I would like to get a hide tanned at the very least. I don't have the space, skills, nor time to do a good job of it myself.

Thanks, Dinny

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Most clubs I belong to downeast love to have bear hunters like me join,pay same dues as deer hunters per year and I may hunt it only 2 or 3 times a year.Also you need to check out the clubs by-laws as most do not allow guests to take a bear and if I am not mistaken its in the Weyerhaeuser lease that they can't either.They also frown on clubs sub leasing the bear hunting rights to bear hunters that's why I am and the guys that hunt with are full members in all the clubs we hunt. One of the clubs I belong picked up a couple thousand acres when they found out the club next to us was selling day hunts to bear hunters and they took their lease away.