BEAR HUNT LEASE

lbksmom

Banned
I am looking to hunt bear a couple times this year. Never been, now I am retired like to give it a try in NC Appreciate any help on this, thanks, Jerry

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
East imho is better. They pop up near central I-95ish, but not consistent enough to join imho. Do you have a preference regarding bear hunting with dogs?

Dinny

Button Buck
I am looking to hunt bear a couple times this year. Never been, now I am retired like to give it a try in NC Appreciate any help on this, thanks, Jerry

That's the exact reason I just joined here. I'm stationed in VA and looking for a lease in NE NC.

Jerry - you want to split the cost?

Thanks, Dinny

lbksmom

Banned
Hi Dinny, that would work. I live at the Montgomery/Richmond county line off Rte.220 close to Candor/Norman NC 9one0-57one-2one81 Jerry

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Beaufort, Hyde, Washington, Tyrrell counties are typically the best. Central NC does not have large bears like Eastern NC. We see bears daily here in Beaufort county, saw 8 the other day driving home from work. My neighbor was attacked by one a few years back in his front yard. Finding a lease this late in the year will be difficult, an outfitter may be a easier option for this season.

lbksmom

Banned
I don't think I could afford a outfitter? I don't mind traveling 2 to 3 hrs each way if I can set up a tent or in a little cabin. I am in my mid 60's harder to get around. Thanks for info.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
The cost of a lease would equal the cost of an outfitter. Obviously, you would have many more days to hunt a lease, but as far as expense goes, it could be even. Food for thought.

Smitty

Six Pointer
Jerry and Dinny, just sent you both a message. Let me know. I'd definetly intrested in finding a place.

Dinny

Button Buck
The price per day is far cheaper for a lease. Most bear outfitters charge $3K for 3 days. I'll keep trying to find a lease knowing I have the option of hunting with an outfitter if all else fails.

Thanks, Dinny

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Have you looked at or considered the permit hunting opportunities? I've gotten drawn for a bear permit every year I've applied. I hunted Dare Game Land the year before last and we saw several bear but couldnt get close enough. Hunted texas plantation last year with no luck but I think it was mainly because of the construction work they had going on there. A lot of old bear sign so I know they are there. Its only $8 to apply so a lot more cost effective than an outfitter or a lease.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Have you considered joining a hunting club in the counties mentioned above? A lot of deer hunting clubs in those counties that might accept a bear hunter at this point. Some clubs have bear hunters (dog hunting for bear) that come every year. Something to consider.

odie408

Ten Pointer
Our club is planning on guiding a couple hunters to help with the cost of dogs and bear bait. We hunt about 10,000 ac in Beaufort and Hyde Co. If you don't find a lease let me know. Might save you a lot of leg work.

Last edited:

Wv67

Ten Pointer
If ya wanna hunt WVA I could help ya out with finding a lease and we Have alot of bears not as big as NC but 200-250 is easy no baiting but dogs are allowed in most areas and leases We keep our membership low 9 hunters on 1040 acres but I know of a few leases taking members a lot bigger than mine and I know of a few leases needing leased

lbksmom

Banned
Have you looked at or considered the permit hunting opportunities? I've gotten drawn for a bear permit every year I've applied. I hunted Dare Game Land the year before last and we saw several bear but couldnt get close enough. Hunted texas plantation last year with no luck but I think it was mainly because of the construction work they had going on there. A lot of old bear sign so I know they are there. Its only $8 to apply so a lot more cost effective than an outfitter or a lease.
All those hunts are NE of me and 4 to 51/2 hours each way. I need to try for SE say New Bern the furthest out. Thanks for any help. Dog hunters for bear leases are ok.

Dinny

Button Buck
I joined Outdoor Access (OA) and have land rented to hunt in Pasquotank County. OA operates much like AirBnB. You rent the land on a daily rate and hunt the entire day by yourself. I'm paying $169 for the 3 first days of bear season. That sure beats the $3K outfitters want.

PM me if you're interested in joining OA. They have a referral program where you get $40 off the annual fee and I get $10 off my next rental.

www.outdooraccess.com

Thanks, Dinny

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Have you considered joining a hunting club in the counties mentioned above? A lot of deer hunting clubs in those counties that might accept a bear hunter at this point. Some clubs have bear hunters (dog hunting for bear) that come every year. Something to consider.

We do this on our club, most of us don't hunt bear, but we have plenty of them near Terra Cia/Pantego where my club is.....usually we try to find a few people wanting to still bear hunt and try to get them in during the first week of bear season. I will keep this thread in mind as I still don't know how many if any people are already lined up.

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Throw some honey buns in the front yard, maybe a picnic basket and some peanut butter and corn mashed up, they will come!!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A lot of the bigger deer leases down this way (New Bern) will sub lease out to bear hunters to help pay for the lease. The club I was in 7 or 8 years ago did this. Unfortunately, I don't have a contact there anymore. You might try looking up the Weyerhauser web site and see if you can track down contacts for some of the leases.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Throw some honey buns in the front yard, maybe a picnic basket and some peanut butter and corn mashed up, they will come!!

So will the game wardens,know of some hunters just got convicted of doing that very thing 3,000 dollar fine each 3 years probation plus court cost and lawyer fees owner of the land thought because it was his he could do what he wanted to on it.I think the judge proved to him he couldn't.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
188 acres

Good luck to you,I have only hunted that county one time,its not the biggest bear producing county in NE N.C. as far as numbers go,however the bear I have seen taken there have been nice ones.Hope you get to take a nice one.

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
So will the game wardens,know of some hunters just got convicted of doing that very thing 3,000 dollar fine each 3 years probation plus court cost and lawyer fees owner of the land thought because it was his he could do what he wanted to on it.I think the judge proved to him he couldn't.
Point taken, I was j/k, but I can see where some would take that literally.. DON'T BAIT the BEARS.. I was JOKING.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Point taken, I was j/k, but I can see where some would take that literally.. DON'T BAIT the BEARS.. I was JOKING.

I know you were,I just don't want a novice bear hunter to get a ticket,had a non hunting friend of mine get one for putting out donuts so his wife could take pictures of bear wouldn't listen to me ,I told him you couldn't do that no matter what time of the year it is or what you are doing it for he said he had read it on the internet as long as its not hunting season and he is not hunting over it he could do it.Well the GW and the judge didn't listen to him.I think his fine was somewhere around $2,000.