Beaches closing

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Today’s paper says Wrightsville an Carolina Beaches are now closed. Interestingply Kure Beach was not mentioned in the article so I assume it is still open. So one can’t surf fish on Wrightsville Beach but apparently you can pay to fish on Johnny Mercer’s Pier. I would say the same for the Carol Beach Pier but it never has been repaired since hurricane Florence and the outer half is gone.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
They are all closed as well. All the way up to surf city. I don’t think Atlantic is closed yet. I have issue with this since the beach is one of the public trust deals.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have some friends at Holly Ridge/Surf City and they say all beaches closed and do not when will be open...could be long hot summer.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are all closed as well. All the way up to surf city. I don’t think Atlantic is closed yet. I have issue with this since the beach is one of the public trust deals.
No reason why you shouldn’t sit anywhere in the outdoors during this time. Outside of the OBX, I can’t figure out why they can’t handle an increase in visitors. They do it every year a couple months later than this. If they want to close facilities that’s fine, but the beach is mine and yours.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
I live here at Holden beach and yes they are closing them slowly but surely. Guys my girlfriend is a nurse at one of the hospitals on the front lines and they are already struggling to keep supplies with this crazy crap. The closing of the beach ain’t about me or you and our wants to go fishing. It’s a way bigger picture to prevent this virus from becoming a total disaster. My girlfriend has been in healthcare for 26 years and has seen H1N1,SARS,MERSA,Flu and much worse. She said and I quote. “This one worries me” !! I’m not saying we don’t have a right to go to public places to fish but not a damn one of you would want to be in a position to choose between someones mom not getting a respirator or your aunt getting one. Please try and understand this is real as it gets. This virus is 10x more contagious then flu. We don’t need it getting to point that our health care can’t fight this. There is a reason for the closing of the beaches and public gathering places. This thing is a way bigger picture then your wants or mine. Staying home will help end this quicker then going out in public and taking a chance. Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I live here at Holden beach and yes they are closing them slowly but surely. Guys my girlfriend is a nurse at one of the hospitals on the front lines and they are already struggling to keep supplies with this crazy crap. The closing of the beach ain’t about me or you and our wants to go fishing. It’s a way bigger picture to prevent this virus from becoming a total disaster. My girlfriend has been in healthcare for 26 years and has seen H1N1,SARS,MERSA,Flu and much worse. She said and I quote. “This one worries me” !! I’m not saying we don’t have a right to go to public places to fish but not a damn one of you would want to be in a position to choose between someones mom not getting a respirator or your aunt getting one. Please try and understand this is real as it gets. This virus is 10x more contagious then flu. We don’t need it getting to point that our health care can’t fight this. There is a reason for the closing of the beaches and public gathering places. This thing is a way bigger picture then your wants or mine. Staying home will help end this quicker then going out in public and taking a chance. Think about it.

I work in healthcare also and closing boat ramps and beaches does nothing to help people get supplies. All it does is piss people off and make them more restless.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Not sure about emerald isle beach, but i do know Bogue inlet pier is closed until further notice, except for season pass holders with keys.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Now Carolina beach is issuing citations to anyone on the beach. I take real issue with this being that the beach has been proven in multiple cases to be public trust by law. It’s written in the state constitution.
If there’s one thing evident by all this mess it’s the absurd amount of power the government has gained. It seems like every government entity big and small is on a power high using the virus as an excuse.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

Staying home for an extended period is going to drive people bat :donk:donk:donk:donk crazy. No way you should close public beachs , boat ramps parks etc. as long as everyone is following best practices and proper distance from each other then there will be no harm

The harm is you are forcing alot of people to stay home and go bat :donk:donk:donk:donk crazy. They will say hey honey lets go to the grocery store. That is where you are going to get it is off the pin pad at the grocery store cause thats the only place they can go. or think they can go.

Like I have said previously, if i get it it will be at work(even though I wash my hands 30-40 times a day) or I will get it from the grocery store. Not from some creek , river , lake or beach.

lt also has nothing to do with my wants. To me the outdoors is therapy.

"going out in Public" is not a chance if you are not around anyone. plain and simple. But the goverment keeps closing places forcing people into less and less places.

Got to go. need to go to the grocery store.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I work in healthcare also and closing boat ramps and beaches does nothing to help people get supplies. All it does is piss people off and make them more restless.

This^^^^^^

I saw a group of girls in raleigh today walking down the side walk all within touching distance of each other. I can assure you me on a river lake or beach that I would not be that close to some one. but you won't see the the government close side walks.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer

Really, you must not be someone who actually needs “supplies” thinking like that. If people stay away from areas that congregate big groups like beach access areas they’re less likely to require “supplies” themselves, ergo some who is in need could have access to the “supplies” because someone else made the smart choice to avoid places that attract groups. I also work in healthcare, I see the sick people and I also see healthcare workers putting themselves at risk by following the cdc’s modified guidelines for PPE which is essentially telling people we don’t have enough PPE so you need to spare it and be less protected.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
This^^^^^^

I saw a group of girls in raleigh today walking down the side walk all within touching distance of each other. I can assure you me on a river lake or beach that I would not be that close to some one. but you won't see the the government close side walks.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Really, you must not be someone who actually needs “supplies” thinking like that. If people stay away from areas that congregate big groups like beach access areas they’re less likely to require “supplies” themselves, ergo some who is in need could have access to the “supplies” because someone else made the smart choice to avoid places that attract groups. I also work in healthcare, I see the sick people and I also see healthcare workers putting themselves at risk by following the cdc’s modified guidelines for PPE which is essentially telling people we don’t have enough PPE so you need to spare it and be less protected.

And the "sky is falling " types such as yourself is what is wrong with this situation.

People are acting like 6 year old girls and everyone has "cooties".....eeeeewwww. Geezzz, give me a break

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Sorry....I prefer to thing rationally about this whole situation

One can rationalize logic to themselves, but that doesn’t make it cogent, try logic instead. Look at New York where 600+ have died while the numbers will continue to grow. See if they think that closing public areas and staying home would have been a bad idea when they only had 1000 instead of 40,000 cases. Same with Italy, those people thought the same way as you...ignoring warnings and saying people were over reacting when they learned that they weren’t.

It’s easier to say people such as myself are overreacting and act like the sky is falling rather than making the harder decision to sacrifice activities and public interaction. As an aside, isn’t this a hunting and fishing forum? Go hunting or fishing, they’re outdoor activities and stay 6 feet away from people. You can lookup on NC wildlife if any particular game lands are closed, last I checked there were only two closures. As for boat launches, it looks like it’s mostly restroom closures...but I’m not sure about that one.

c157458759a5c9976b86771c2ee825e5.jpg

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Look at New York where 600+ have died

have died since when? Since beginning of the year? in one day?

historically, over 360 people die a day in New York,,,from all causes,,,

as I've mentioned in the near past, I am curious what the actual data will look like when this gets a few months behind us,,,,very curious,,

but then likely will have to dig hard,,,as once the media moves on from this it will get forgotten,,,

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
I understand the cabin fever and bat :donk:donk:donk:donk crazy being cooped up at home. If the ocean , lakes is your only means of food then you didn’t have much in your pantry or freezer to start with.

Nobody wants to be out there worst then me because my charters are suffering from it EVERYDAY!! Yes it’s costing me but I’m damn sure not going to take someone on my boat I’ve never met and don’t know where they have been. The last person that got sick probably didn’t think it would happen to them.

I don’t think that being rational about the big picture is acting like a 6 year old. It’s called being cooperative and trying to do the rt thing and not be part of the problem. You most likely will not have issues with the virus. But going out and hitting the lakes causes a chain reaction at making others who may have it allow it to continue.

This sucks for all of us. I can’t even go buy parts to work on my boats and do things I need to be on the water and make money. I’m just not going to be that one who gets looked at and someone say. Well he is doing it so I am going to do it.

People are going to justify their actions no matter what and not everyone is going to think about the bigger picture of this whole thing. It’s now a proven statistical fact that self quarantine and total public shut downs work as France,& China are recovering. They mandatory shut off EVERY THING!! I’m as conservative and pro 2A as they come and hate government controlling. But I know I’m gonna do my part to not be out or temp others to be out where it has potential to continue. I’ve got enough food to survive a long time and gardens will be putting out soon. Best of wishes to everybody and stay safe.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
By the way,, the USA is now the epicenter of this thing because we are free to what we want when we want to. The younger generation caused a even larger breakout due to social gatherings at spring break beaches in Florida quoting the fact they were not at risk and they were going to party and do like they wanted to. Thank goodness NC was smart enough to stop that from happening before it got started here.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
have died since when? Since beginning of the year? in one day?

historically, over 360 people die a day in New York,,,from all causes,,,

as I've mentioned in the near past, I am curious what the actual data will look like when this gets a few months behind us,,,,very curious,,

but then likely will have to dig hard,,,as once the media moves on from this it will get forgotten,,,

Since covid19 hasn’t been in NY since January 1st, and you know the answer to your other two questions I would say you’re just making rhetoric. Ten days ago on March 18th New York had 15 deaths due to Covid-19. Today the deaths resulting from Covid-19 is 605. So 590 in the last 10 days in New York exclusively from Covid-19 . 552 of them were in the last week. Don’t use the media for your numbers, or your opinions. Use facts and then think about it. Go to the sources like:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I understand the cabin fever and bat :donk:donk:donk:donk crazy being cooped up at home. If the ocean , lakes is your only means of food then you didn’t have much in your pantry or freezer to start with.

Nobody wants to be out there worst then me because my charters are suffering from it EVERYDAY!! Yes it’s costing me but I’m damn sure not going to take someone on my boat I’ve never met and don’t know where they have been. The last person that got sick probably didn’t think it would happen to them.

I don’t think that being rational about the big picture is acting like a 6 year old. It’s called being cooperative and trying to do the rt thing and not be part of the problem. You most likely will not have issues with the virus. But going out and hitting the lakes causes a chain reaction at making others who may have it allow it to continue.

This sucks for all of us. I can’t even go buy parts to work on my boats and do things I need to be on the water and make money. I’m just not going to be that one who gets looked at and someone say. Well he is doing it so I am going to do it.

People are going to justify their actions no matter what and not everyone is going to think about the bigger picture of this whole thing. It’s now a proven statistical fact that self quarantine and total public shut downs work as France,& China are recovering. They mandatory shut off EVERY THING!! I’m as conservative and pro 2A as they come and hate government controlling. But I know I’m gonna do my part to not be out or temp others to be out where it has potential to continue. I’ve got enough food to survive a long time and gardens will be putting out soon. Best of wishes to everybody and stay safe.

you still dont get it..i am staying away from people thus quarantining Sp? myself from other except work and the grocery store. That is where I will pick it up. I am not near anyone in my travels fishing . Work or the grocery store now thats a different story but no one is hammering me for going to work or the grocery store but golly post on FB that you are going fishing and you think the world had ended.

I will take fishing not being around anyone as way safer than the grocery store. should we close down the grocery stores???

I would bet you everything I got the people in NY were in waaaay closer spaces than the people here enjoying the outdoors.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
you still dont get it..i am staying away from people thus quarantining Sp? myself from other except work and the grocery store. That is where I will pick it up. I am not near anyone in my travels fishing . Work or the grocery store now thats a different story but no one is hammering me for going to work or the grocery store but golly post on FB that you are going fishing and you think the world had ended.

I will take fishing not being around anyone as way safer than the grocery store. should we close down the grocery stores???

I would bet you everything I got the people in NY were in waaaay closer spaces than the people here enjoying the outdoors.

I agree with everything you’ve said here. You’re being responsible, it’s the idiots that ruin it. They’re the ones who concern me, and why rules have to be set in place.

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
Scientists now think it was in Italy last Fall, and local doctors in NC think they were treating it before 2020. It was certainly in NY before January, but unknown.

That sounds suspicious to me. Something so easily transmitted at the present time was present months ago but didn’t become exponentially problematic until months later? You’re telling me that your “certainty” of an “unknown” is based on an opinion of what a scientist “thinks?”....think about that. Naysayers were touting influenza as a killer more so than coronavirus to down play it in December and January before it was an issue, but now the arguments are reversing and when something was more like an influenza with secondary pneumonia back in November or December you’re stating that it was coronavirus. Hmm. Sort of flip flops to achieve the same purpose of backing up whatever the current flavor is.

Here’s some science that is certain:

Pangolins in china carry corona viruses (as do bats) which have a nearly identical receptor-binding domain of the spike proteins, a very important part of why this virus is so good at binding to human cells.

Pangolins are a delicacy in China, and believed to have many beneficial properties.

SARS was determined to be in a civet cats as an intermediary host before jumping to humans, and it was also a coronavirus.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That sounds suspicious to me.
What doesn't? There are links on this forum to scientific discussions on this aspect of the virus. What it means (good news) is that we are further along on the timeline than originally thought.