Beaches closing

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
What doesn't? There are links on this forum to scientific discussions on this aspect of the virus. What it means (good news) is that we are further along on the timeline than originally thought.

True, very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Don’t use the media for your numbers, or your opinions. Use facts and then think about it. Go to the sources like:

Funny you think I use “media” or personal opinion

the numbers I cited came from John Hopkins University,,,,same place you cite

as I said,,,it will be interesting to see hiw this all looks after time has passed and real data is available

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer

as I said,,,it will be interesting to see hiw this all looks after time has passed and real data is available

You mean that 360 die a day?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You mean that 360 die a day?

Yes

but in reading between the lines I think your “New York” meanx New York City,,,,, my info was for the state which is what I thought you meant

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Look at New York where 600+ have died...
Meanwhile, the governor says:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that his stay-at-home order for the entirety of New York State was “probably not the best public health strategy....If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone,” Cuomo said during a press conference in Albany.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck, hope you stay healthy. The problem with the country is you. This whole forum is dominated by a monoculture. There are some great folks on here but what I see here is a bunch of people patting each other on the back for their ignorance. (Edited for language). I’m out. Please remove me from this :donk:donk:donk:donk show ASAP.

So.....you mad because people on here are using common sense instead of running around stating the sky is falling?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
The thing that makes me feel the way I do about this situation is because of how it's being dealt with. It's ok for me to go to work, get "exposed" on a daily basis.....HAVE to live a normal life otherwise. Meanwhile people are running around in masks, gloves, etc and have been scared to death by our government/leaders into thinking that this thing hops person to person if you so much as look at another individual.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It is highly contagious, much more so than originally thought but you have to realize the media is trying to use this against the Trump Administration.

A lot of the reaction, response to this is political and that won't stop until Trump/Pence is out of office.

It would be totally fine with the people who hate Trump to have the beaches shut down until after election day.

Last edited:

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
after seeing what I saw yesterday, the mass of fisherman/boaters/ kayakers , were kind of like being herded to certain launch ramps which put hundreds 'near' each other at those ramps. Open up all areas and beaches ,maybe even free in places
to disperse the population. .. ?

timber

Twelve Pointer
I think if they do anything to disperse the population at the ramps it will be close them all down.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They want it all shut down so they can blame Trump.

Get people upset, riled up and blame Trump. Its an election year.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s easier to say people such as myself are overreacting and act like the sky is falling rather than making the harder decision to sacrifice activities and public interaction. As an aside, isn’t this a hunting and fishing forum? Go hunting or fishing, they’re outdoor activities and stay 6 feet away from people.

I believe that's exactly what most of us are trying to do. A virus must have a means of transmission. It's not voodoo magic. It doesn't infect people by looking at them, or walking on the same sidewalk, or launching a boat next to you at the ramp or parking next to you at the beach access. There are plenty of people who would like to fish, standing on the beach, but authorities are putting an end to that. As LIZZRD points out, by closing many of the outdoor recreational opportunities, the authorities are crowding those left open.

We had a camping trip planned for April. Nope they canceled our reservation - state parks are closed. National Park is closed too. Ok, let's go to the beach - nope, they closed those too. Some lakes are closed. Some counties are closed. Some lakes, half the ramps are closed. That's making those public camping/fishing/hunting areas that are open much more crowded. As with most government decisions, as soon as they take steps to "help", they make the problem worse. I don't think there is virus transmission going on at the boat ramps, but there's a lot of parking along the roadside because of overcrowding.

Open ALL outdoor recreation and access, close the indoor/restroom facilities, and enforce distancing. That's not hard.

Last edited:

JD1107

The thing that makes me feel the way I do about this situation is because of how it's being dealt with. It's ok for me to go to work, get "exposed" on a daily basis.....HAVE to live a normal life otherwise. Meanwhile people are running around in masks, gloves, etc and have been scared to death by our government/leaders into thinking that this thing hops person to person if you so much as look at another individual.
I’ve got a friend who tested positive. He contracted it at a conference in wake county where 17 others attended the conference. One person walked in with the virus, all participants in the conference walked out with the virus and tested positive for it. My friend saw symptoms within 48 hrs.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve got a friend who tested positive. He contracted it at a conference in wake county where 17 others attended the conference. One person walked in with the virus, all participants in the conference walked out with the virus and tested positive for it. My friend saw symptoms within 48 hrs.

And im sure in conference fashion they all shook hands multiplying exposure.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Hope you friend gets well soon

but thats a dang boring conference with only 17 attendees

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I believe that's exactly what most of us are trying to do. A virus must have a means of transmission. It's not voodoo magic. It doesn't infect people by looking at them, or walking on the same sidewalk, or launching a boat next to you at the ramp or parking next to you at the beach access. There are plenty of people who would like to fish, standing on the beach, but authorities are putting an end to that. As LIZZRD points out, by closing many of the outdoor recreational opportunities, the authorities are crowding those left open.

We had a camping trip planned for April. Nope they canceled our reservation - state parks are closed. National Park is closed too. Ok, let's go to the beach - nope, they're closed those too. Some lakes are closed. Some counties are closed. Some lakes, half the ramps are closed. That's making those public camping/fishing/hunting areas that are open much more crowded. As with most government decisions, as soon as they take steps to "help", they make the problem worse. I still don't think there is virus transmission going on at the boat ramps, but there's a lot of parking along the roadside because of overcrowding.

Open ALL outdoor recreation and access, close the indoor/restroom facilities, and enforce distancing. That's not hard.
Don't know if its option for y'all but Pisgah has camping primitive type and trout season will be in

JD1107

Hope you friend gets well soon

but thats a dang boring conference with only 17 attendees
He’s not going to die.. spoke with him at the end of last week and he had tested negative for the virus after 13 days. I reached out to him because I had heard he’d been sick and I had been with him several days before this conference. Would have been pretty bad had I contracted the virus and went about my daily work routine in and out of 17 different schools in my county interacting with several hundred students on a daily basis.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Been wanting to get back to Bable Tower at Linville gorge, Pisgah sometime soon for sentimental reasons mostly.

Last edited:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
There is a reason for the closing of the beaches and public gathering places. This thing is a way bigger picture then your wants or mine. Staying home will help end this quicker then going out in public and taking a chance. Think about it.

But. I thought we wanted to stretch it out and "flatten the curve", not get it over quicker. Damn, I knew better than to "think about it"

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
But. I thought we wanted to stretch it out and "flatten the curve", not get it over quicker. Damn, I knew better than to "think about it"

You were right. The social distancing and other measures are not meant to stop the virus spread or get the pandemic over faster. They are meant to keep from crushing the ICUs and ERs with a ton of seriously ill folks at once. In fact the shelter in place orders will actually draw the pandemic out because there are only 2 ways to gain immunity from this....you either get it and get well or you get vaccinated. Vaccines are at least a year or so away, so now the only way to gain immunity is to actually contact the virus.

I have seen a large number of medical professionals as well talking about something very similar to this was present late last year. People seriously ill, negative for flu and it was said to be viral. Once they start the anti body testing in large numbers they will get a feel for how prevalent it was. This virus has a very unique and easily identifiable profile and the anti bodies are easily picked up in the tests

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I have seen a large number of medical professionals as well talking about something very similar to this was present late last year. People seriously ill, negative for flu and it was said to be viral. Once they start the anti body testing in large numbers they will get a feel for how prevalent it was. This virus has a very unique and easily identifiable profile and the anti bodies are easily picked up in the tests

Interesting. If this virus has been with us since last year, then we may already be "over the hump" If we haven't overwhelmed our health care system yet, do we still want to drag this thing out? Seems to me that. the longer it goes, the greater chance for those with health problems to be exposed. Even though our nursing homes are locked down, these girls come and go every day, interacting with other citizens. I see 'em in scrubs everytime I go to the grocery store, gas stations, etc. Then I'm sure they go home to their families and are exposed to everyone their spouses were exposed to all day, while they were doing their "essential" job at the factory. The longer this drags out, the more trips out these girls will make and then expose their patients the next day and then repeat, repeat, repeat. Grandma can only dodge so many bullets

mattharris0414

I agree with everything you’ve said here. You’re being responsible, it’s the idiots that ruin it. They’re the ones who concern me, and why rules have to be set in place.

So lets punish everyone instead of the idiots that dont listen right?

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer

Curious what your opinion is now that 600 a day is a good number in NY. (Also, apologies for the 4 letter words in previous posts, that was disgraceful of me and I regret it.)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Curious what your opinion is now that 600 a day is a good number in NY. (Also, apologies for the 4 letter words in previous posts, that was disgraceful of me and I regret it.)

My opinion?

i have said, and continue to say, I am waiting -

i see WAY to many reports of falsely reported deaths to take any thing at face value

mattharris0414

What is your suggestion to differentiate for the greater good?

My suggestion is to open the beaches back up. If you can't social distance on the miles and miles of beaches in NC than your an idiot. It all comes down to a communist agenada that forces everyone to be treated in a certain way beacuse of a few idiots. I say let nature have at it!

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
My suggestion is to open the beaches back up. If you can't social distance on the miles and miles of beaches in NC than your an idiot. It all comes down to a communist agenada that forces everyone to be treated in a certain way beacuse of a few idiots. I say let nature have at it!

Agreed 100%