Beach eats another AWD...

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What got these guys out easy was a shovel and 2 boards. I keep 2 5' 2x10's in the bed of the truck all the time.
Work great for sand or mud also for a level work surface or place to use a jack in the sand.
I guess you really are Mr. Gadget. Probably a little McGyver in there as well.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
First half this thread, I was thinking, "I didn't know you could camp and drive and fish out there! I think I'll take my Tundra now that the bugs are gone."

After reading the second half, I was thinking, "probably need to have been born there or have some Army MOS for driving in that."

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
First half this thread, I was thinking, "I didn't know you could camp and drive and fish out there! I think I'll take my Tundra now that the bugs are gone."

After reading the second half, I was thinking, "probably need to have been born there or have some Army MOS for driving in that."

It’s simple. 4wd, tire pressure at 20lbs. Stay on the gas when turning or switching “ruts”. Don’t drive through red sand.

Sand and salt wash off, and if only out there occasionally (half dozen or less trips a year), you don’t have to worry about your pretty boy truck getting messed up. These guys are worried about nothing, especially considering they probably wash and take care of their stuff anyway.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It’s simple. 4wd, tire pressure at 20lbs. Stay on the gas when turning or switching “ruts”. Don’t drive through red sand.

Sand and salt wash off, and if only out there occasionally (half dozen or less trips a year), you don’t have to worry about your pretty boy truck getting messed up. These guys are worried about nothing, especially considering they probably wash and take care of their stuff anyway.
Yes, it's a pretty boy truck, but it gets plenty of time in the mud and right now there's both speckled trout blood and deer blood on the tailgate. Just not sure about the sand, and I don't want to be the guy who blocks the path and gets everybody else stuck.

Please explain about red sand, though.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, it's a pretty boy truck, but it gets plenty of time in the mud and right now there's both speckled trout blood and deer blood on the tailgate. Just not sure about the sand, and I don't want to be the guy who blocks the path and gets everybody else stuck.

Please explain about red sand, though.
[/QUOTE

Red sand is large course wet sand, below the high tide line, that acts like quick sand. Most sand below the high tide line is hard packed. The red stuff is loose, wet, and normally in “low lying” areas along the beach break.

If you spin, stop, figure out why you’re spinning, and go from there. It’s not bad. Lots of “pretty” trucks on the beach, but give them a bath when you’re done and no worries.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
"Red sand" is usually small pea gravel/shell. It's a quick way to sink to the frame. Sometimes it's not to soft and it's compacted, more often though it's loose and is the worst crap to get stuck in. You typically "find it" when you try to drive on the damp compacted sand when the tide is low. Sometimes it has a couple inches of sand covering the top of it and you don't know it's pea gravel until you are in it.
A lot of the pics you see floating around with vehicles stuck with waves washing over em in hatteras are from them getting stuck at low water in pea gravel and the tide comes in and you lose your vehicle.
After storms sometimes it gets pushed up about mid beach and is real loose. It will still get you stuck but there's little chance of losing your vehicle that high on the beach.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't want to be the guy who blocks the path and gets everybody else stuck.
I'm at OBX now, and witnessed a good example of that on Ramp 23 Monday. Was fishing right in front of the ramp, and then noticed a new F-150 stuck at the base of the ramp, so walked over to offer help. He had stopped at the top of the hard ramp to take pictures, then decided to go down and do a U turn in the sand, without airing down. As usual, no ORV permit. He declined my help and advice, and later got out on his own after many attempts, and after airing down.

Point being, he left terrible deep ruts at the base of the ramp, that cannot easily be seen and avoided by other drivers until you are right on top of them.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
148b5760183d920847acbfbfe2ada682.jpg

Frisco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
e664a83b7173330eb4bd7a3f96ebfafe.jpg

Hatteras

Jarvis pulled the RV out.
We got the shiny wheel Chevy out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk