Beach eats another AWD...

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...this is what I encountered when clearing the Ramp at 38 the other day. Parked and walked over to see if I could help. He had already called a wrecker. I asked him if it was AWD or 4WD, and when he said AWD I knew there nothing I could have done to get him out anyway. No ORV permit, of course.

AWD.png

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
These guys were stuck bad. It was on the frame. All wheels spinning free open diff front and rear about the same as awd.IMG9504831.jpg
Took 20 to 30 min. This was Cape lookout.
Did not even need to tow.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
These guys were stuck bad. It was on the frame. All wheels spinning free open diff front and rear about the same as awd.View attachment 35046
Took 20 to 30 min. This was Cape lookout.
Did not even need to tow.

One would think that truck has a locker in the rear. I thought most of them had that since the 80s. I know the 86 and 97 had lockers at home. Not sure about the 2007 Yukon. I’ll have to check that.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
One would think that truck has a locker in the rear. I thought most of them had that since the 80s. I know the 86 and 97 had lockers at home. Not sure about the 2007 Yukon. I’ll have to check that.
Does not change the fact it was stuck and on the frame.
Every new truck I have seen had it added as an extra or part of package.
I can say this only one tire front and rear would spin under load when they tried.
Depends on the gear in it, off road package or z71. Some years it was an extra others part of package, newer trucks tend to have them if it is anything other than base model.

Last edited:

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If ...IF....I bring my truck on the beach there are a few must haves..
1. Air compressor and tires lowered to 10 psi
2. Winch
3. Sledgehammer and large spike for winch
4. 6 pack of good beer (for waiting...see #5)
5. Cash for wrecker.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
If ...IF....I bring my truck on the beach there are a few must haves..
1. Air compressor and tires lowered to 10 psi
2. Winch
3. Sledgehammer and large spike for winch
4. 6 pack of good beer (for waiting...see #5)
5. Cash for wrecker.

10lb is too low to start with. Start at 20, as it works for 99% of anything you’ll drive on the beach, and give yourself 5-10lb to play with SHOULD you need it.

not saying a winch won’t work, but I dont know anyone that carries one on the beach, and I know A LOT of beach drivers.
Couple strips of carpet, a shovel, a bucket, a good sturdy board and a jack are must haves.
You’d be surprised what a couple buckets of ocean water will do, around the tires.

Tire pressure is the biggie, and if you’re spinning, stop.

figure out why you’re spinning. If you’re turning or changing ruts that you’re driving in, commit and hold the skinny pedal down.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My BIL bought a right hand drive AWD Subaru Outback for rural mail delivery. That AWD system was a turd, kept getting stuck. An old tech showed him a fuse to pull that disabled the AWD. It would then spin both front tires and he never got stuck again. Maybe they are better now but I won't have one. Won't buy a truck without a locking rear neither.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BTW the truck camper in this case did nothing wrong. It is a hard ramp and blind with litttle other path. There were several trucks and campers getting on the beach and no stopping or backing them out. The pictured truck tried to stay moving but ran out of time and had to stop. By the time all other trucks cleared it was too late and they could not move forward or back. They did end up spinning too much but they would have still been stuck. Ranger tried to pull them with no luck.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I've ridden with others on the beach, but never in my own trucks/suv's. Rode on beach in Hatteras this summer with a friend in a 2018 Jeep Rubicon w 20 lbs psi in tires. We had zero issues whatsoever, but even still.....I was nervous for him!!!
?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Well for western NC person this thread has been educational I've never rode on beach had no idea this much of an issue

It’s not, unless you’re either
A) stupid
B) a pretty boy
C) both

Getting stuck happens, but to what degree is really a reflection of A. If you stop trying to drive out immediately, assess the situation and react accordingly, 99.999999% if able bodied people in a proper (4x4) vehicle can get unstuck themselves

Fears from damage from salt and sand are all of the above. Wash good when you get done. If it’s that much of a hassle, then you probably spend enough time at/near the coast that it won’t matter if you drive on the beach or the highway, it’s getting ate up anyway. ?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not, unless you’re either
A) stupid
B) a pretty boy
C) both

Getting stuck happens, but to what degree is really a reflection of A. If you stop trying to drive out immediately, assess the situation and react accordingly, 99.999999% if able bodied people in a proper (4x4) vehicle can get unstuck themselves

Fears from damage from salt and sand are all of the above. Wash good when you get done. If it’s that much of a hassle, then you probably spend enough time at/near the coast that it won’t matter if you drive on the beach or the highway, it’s getting ate up anyway. ?
Yeah they salt the roads enough around me I don't worry bit about that. And I'm pretty familiar with getting stuck using pressue I've been known to get in some mud from time to time

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What got these guys out easy was a shovel and 2 boards. I keep 2 5' 2x10's in the bed of the truck all the time.
Work great for sand or mud also for a level work surface or place to use a jack in the sand.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took my old truck on the beach. Not sure that I will take the new one, but it does have diff lock which the old didn't have.

There are some bold folks down there though. I was at the point one day and the tide was coming up, and there were several trucks out there about to be on an island.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
What got these guys out easy was a shovel and 2 boards. I keep 2 5' 2x10's in the bed of the truck all the time.
Work great for sand or mud also for a level work surface or place to use a jack in the sand.
Also handy to load up heavy deer when hunting alone

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You know how stupid you have to be and how many consecutive wrong decisions you have to make to do that??

yes I do. been fishing on the beach since the 70's, I just aint putting my truck out there. with my bad luck sometimes even the best plans can go wrong. I will ride in someone else's truck though.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
yes I do. been fishing on the beach since the 70's, I just aint putting my truck out there. with my bad luck sometimes even the best plans can go wrong. I will ride in someone else's truck though.

Yes they can, but multiple things have to go wrong.....

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One of the problems is that the NPS is struggling to find ways to spend all the money they have brought in with the ORV passes. It far excided their expectations (I have a buddy who has worked there for years). So they have built connecting roads, added access ramps were there was no demand, but most of all have perfected the ramps areas themselves so they look very attractive to unqualified cars and crossover type vehicles.

In many cases you can turn off of Hwy 12 and drive a front wheel drive sedan all the way within a few feet of the beach sand, which prompts a lot of people to keep going. At one of the ramps last week a white sedan followed me all the way to the base of the dune. I stopped and waved him back, and he left backing up on the same hard surface he had gotten that far on.

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
One of the problems is that the NPS is struggling to find ways to spend all the money they have brought in with the ORV passes. It far excided their expectations (I have a buddy who has worked there for years). So they have built connecting roads, added access ramps were there was no demand, but most of all have perfected the ramps areas themselves so they look very attractive to unqualified cars and crossover type vehicles.

In many cases you can turn off of Hwy 12 and drive a front wheel drive sedan all the way within a few feet of the beach sand, which prompts a lot of people to keep going. At one of the ramps last week a white sedan followed me all the way to the base of the dune. I stopped and waved him back, and he left backing up on the same hard surface he had gotten that far on.
That's the best part of fishing on HI. You always see something that makes you shake your head and say WTH were they thinking driving that out here.
It's usually the same bunch that donated to stop beach driving over a turtle or a bird that tries to drive a car out on the beach. Sometimes you have to let stupid play out.