Be Ever Grateful For Every Normal Day Of Your Life

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Aaron, I am terribly sorry to hear this news, and as a parent the last thing you want to see is one of your children gravely sick.

All is not lost, however, and dialysis can be just an interim thing until a donor is found and xplant accomplished. Your son is plenty young to be able to receive a donor kidney and/or remain on dialysis. I once watched a story on the TV show "Undercover Boss" and one of the people on the show worked a full time job for Waste Management and had been on dialysis for over 20 years.

My wife was on dialysis for five years before she passed away last year from that and other causes, but she was too old to receive a transplant when her kidneys began to fail. For the most part they won't attempt a transplant after 70, so one's fate is governed by that seemingly arbitrary cut-off age.

I used to have a contact person's info at the Wake Forest transplant department but might have tossed it in a recent purge, will check.

I'll be praying for your son Tom and leave you with two points; don't despair, and get aggressive as concerns his treatment!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Tom is 37.
I will pray for Tom, and you, and mom. The Lord is well aware of his situation

Our days are not guaranteed, tomorrow is not a promise. In the morning stop to think how special it is to wake without some dread of an illness that's eating away at your future. All of us who enjoy pretty good health need to know that it's very special to be well.... many are not.

I often attend predominantly black churches and in their prayers they regularly thank the lord for allowing them to "wake up today". It stands out to me because isn't a sentiment you hear (anymore?) in predominantly white churches. I love the thankfulness of another day.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm sorry to hear about your son, but thank you for sharing. It's all too easy to forget how lucky we are.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry to hear about your son, Aaron. I will pray for Tom.

You are right about our health. I think every healthy person takes it for granted, at least in part. A serious disease or ailment will quickly put it in perspective.