be careful out there,, Missing fisherman found - Fair Bluff/Lumber River

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Wow, his dad was lost just 16 months earlier on the same river. That's got to be hard on the family.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Wow that must be rough for the family. Any other details about what might have happened? Canoe tip, hit a log under power?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I grew up in that river and have had to swim for my life three times in the winter due to tipped boats and on one occasion a paddler who wasn't the most skilled. It's not a place to take lightly and definitely not a place for the untrained or inept. Further upstream near Wagram it's named Drowning Creek and definitely earned it's name.

Prayers for the family of these gentlemen.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I would assume he was not wearing a life vest. Most people who drown don't. :rolleyes:

I read an article a while back about males and drowning. It stated that something like 85% of male drowning victims were found with their pants unzipped. Obviously lost their balance while going to the bathroom and fell overboard.
Go to the bank guys!!!!

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It's risky trying to stand up in my sit inside Pungo 120 kayak. I always carry an empty Gatorade bottle for taking car of business...always wear a lifejacket too.

Jim

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Duck hunted in that area earlier this year. Water was higher and faster than normal and wind was high. Me and a buddy in a creek boat. I'm a pretty experienced boater/swimmer/diver and lots of swiftwater rescue training in my background - still always wear a lifejacket. That river definitely can be tricky and dangerous.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Water is like the weather it can change on a moments notice without warning, in rivers and lakes, sorry for the family know it is a rough time for them