BDC scope

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Are these scopes designed for just muzzleloaders, or can they be mounted on any rifle? I was thinking about getting one for my .243.

hunter930

Six Pointer
It will work fine, especially if you get out and actually shoot it at longer ranges to see where those other lines are dead on.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
They make a scope with a BDC reticle for MZ's. The reticle in the standard bdc are made for centerfire rifle only. You can use it, but ballistically it wont match up.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Many of them will be calibrated to specific calibers, at least on higher end scopes. If your worried about it being dead on accurate id get a quality mil-dot and some range cards. Ive seen guys drill coke cans at 600 cold bore when they do the math right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oedipus

Every BDC reticle is different, but they all have to be calibrated to a certain caliber AND barrel length AND bullet grain AND powder charge AND....you see where that goes, right?

That being said, I have been VERY impressed with my Burris Fullfield II 3-9. Best glass I've seen for the price point, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It also comes with a chart of several caliber/grain combinations. I currently have it on my rimfire, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet on there to see if it matches the "chart".

Basically, if you get a BDC scope, you need to go out and test it with the ammunition you are going to use in the rifle you are going to use, and then write down your DOPE and verify where the ticks match up. I wouldn't trust any manufacturer's stated drop calibration, even if it were a multi-thousand dollar Swarovski or S&B, lol.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have two a Burris Fullfield II and a Redfield Revenge. I think for normal hunting and where shots are usually 100 yards +/- with max around 300 yards the BDC is a distraction. For some reason when taking a quick shot with the Burris my eye is drawn to the wrong focal point. I don't have that problem with the Redfield.
This is not a problem until a nice buck comes running through. Also on the quick shots I think a simpler duplex is "less busy".

If you do go with a BDC I will agree you need to test at the range with the ammo you will be shooting.
The Redfield actually has a neat ranging function, although I doubt a deer would stay still long enough for me the use it.

Last edited:

PWR-WGN

I dont know how much you are looking to spend, but swarovski has an excellent ballistics calculator for their bdc reticles on their website. Really helps take some of the guess work out.

Last edited by a moderator: