Batteries

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
What is everyone using for their trolling motor/ electronic batteries? Went this morning for crappie and after battling the wind and running the electronics my battery died after a couple hours. I was fighting the wind all morning in a light 16’ aluminum boat. Debating on switching to a lithium for longer last but all the brand names are new to me. Obviously brand name isn’t everything but seems to be a $350-500 purchase regardless.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I don't know how much power I use. What AH did you guys go with. Also has anyone had them for couple years now? my worry is throwing all that cash out and it only last like 3 years. Right now I have a 29DC (I think). It worked well for a while but don't think i'm getting a full charge any more due to dying the last two times on a fresh charge.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't know how much power I use. What AH did you guys go with. Also has anyone had them for couple years now? my worry is throwing all that cash out and it only last like 3 years. Right now I have a 29DC (I think). It worked well for a while but don't think i'm getting a full charge any more due to dying the last two times on a fresh charge.
I went with the 50AH ones. They are smaller and fit under my center console well. They last longer than the old group 29 deep cycles for sure. If you fish long hours multiple days in a row the 100 AH would get you through the weekend without a charge most likely. I have the 3 bank noco onboard charger and it does a great job on the lithiums.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I went with the 50AH ones. They are smaller and fit under my center console well. They last longer than the old group 29 deep cycles for sure. If you fish long hours multiple days in a row the 100 AH would get you through the weekend without a charge most likely. I have the 3 bank noco onboard charger and it does a great job on the lithiums.
Thank you. I fish long hours but all on the same day so will be able to charge over night at the house or coast when I make the trips. I don't have an onboard charger due to not using my motor much other than get to spot 1 or 2. I usually know where ill be fishing and all trolling motor from there.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I went with a 60AH from Basspro…
Had it a little over a year now. You can do the math on volts, amps, and amp hours, if I run mine full speed, it’ll only last a few hours trolling Croppie in the wind. I definitely think it’s worth the cash if you have the means to get one….

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got to love lithium batteries! These have not been charged since September 17 of 2022. This is what they read tonight when I plugged them in.Screenshot_20230323_220022_Ionic Blue Batteries.jpg

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I’ve been looking at the ones on Amazon. Some have a bunch of reviews and say they’re really good. Anyone try any of the ones on there? Looks like can get one of the better reviewed ones for $350ish. It would save me some cash vs the ionics.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’ve been looking at the ones on Amazon. Some have a bunch of reviews and say they’re really good. Anyone try any of the ones on there? Looks like can get one of the better reviewed ones for $350ish. It would save me some cash vs the ionics.
I bought one off of amazon. 50ah that has worked great so far. I am planning to add 100ah battery as well. I did a lot of research and got the zoom battery. I believe they have changed their company name.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I ended up ordering a 100ah from Amazon so we’ll see how it goes. Has a 5 year warranty but hopefully last longer than the 5 years.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve heard nothing but positive (get it?) about lithium except one thing. If that battery ignites, you aren’t putting it out. My firefighter buddy says they have drums full of dirt as part of their SOPs for them.

Also, there’s some comment on MinnKota’s website about max draw, etc.

A warden once asked to see my fire extinguisher and when I showed it to him he chuckled and asked what I thought I was going to put out with THAT?? I said, "my ass outta this boat" 'cause I ain't no Fireman, but I AM INSURED!!

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I went with the 100ah from amazon and a new charger that also charges lithium. So far works great and never loses power or drains fast. I know the concern with if it was to ignites and needs to just hope that doesn't happen because I don't believ
Curious as to how it performs. I’ve been looking at those as well
so far no complaints. Runs and holds power. I haven’t felt any drain on the power yet.