Bassin' in Florida

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My Florida winter vacation has been great and bad. Had to return to NC in March. Mom passed away. She had been in a local nursing home for several years. It is an indescribable loss but at 96, bed fast, unable to recognize family members most of the time and no chances of conditions ever improving we knew it was coming . We have accepted the facts that she is no longer suffering. Still there is never a way to completely prepare for the loss.

Got a lot of work done on renovation of the winter vacation house.

Finally found (made) time to get out bass fishing near Hollister, Fla. Have been out morning and evening every day but a couple over the last two weeks. Having a blast. Have been fishing worms rigged weedless, dragging them over and around lilly pads on several local lakes. Talk about an adrenaline rush when those hogs explode up thru the pads and smack that worm. Ain't nuttin' better or more fun. Have about 20 more days to "endure" this excitement before returning north for the summer. Haven't come close to breaking the world record but happy just the same. Perhaps when I get back to NC I'll find a place to upload some photos and post on the forum.

Hard decision head to NC for turkey hunting of remain in Fla for more bass fishing. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :unsure::unsure::unsure:. I've become a firm believer in warm winter weather. It's already up in the high 80's but that's a lot more acceptable than 5 degrees.

Ya'll be safe out there.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you’re having too much fun down there. Sorry about your Mom...

Hope the yotes haven’t gotten too thick while you’ve been away. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry about your mom. Awesome job on the fishies . I am going to start spending my week and a half off at Christmas in Florida. did that this year and had a blast fishing Rodman and below the Dam... fished some other spots as well. Try a Senko Wacky Rigged.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Sure missed you around here Larry. I'm sorry for your loss but understand it completely. As mentioned, I'll bet you will be able to shoot a bunch of yotes when you get back. They are probably out of control............ unless you have forgotten the joys of sitting in that condo all night long. Safe travels.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Try some zoom ultra vibe speed worms or ultra vibe speed craws winding them on top in that grass/pads. they love those tails down there. cant go wrong with the junebug color.
It's the official plastic worm for the state of florida. :)
Best wishes for you on the water and dealing with your loss.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks everyone. Realizing/accepting Mom is in a better place helps some.

I guess I have come to the conclusion that I've used up most of all of my "nine lives". I fished Rodman twice. First time we went down towards the dam and I was very uncomfortable in those stumps. Several things I observed. One the water is very stained and seeing 6 inches into the water is max. Stumps are EVERYWHERE AND I MEAN EVERYWHERE. Once down in that area we raised the big motor practically out of the water but with the wind we left it in the water slightly to help control the boat. We only used the trolling motor for when absolutely necessary. There was some wind drifting the boat. I was not at all comfortable bumping stumps every few minutes. Probably because we were so aware of the stumps most likely didn't concentrate very well on fishing. Supposedly our first mistake was not starting out with large shiners for bait. We didn't wind up catching any of the monsters this dam is famous for producing.

Second trip we turned up the lake and saw some of the most promising/best looking water I think I have ever seen. Again we didn't take the proper bait: huge shiners but we did catch several fish.

We went to a small lake, Bole Green, which is about 2 miles from my place. In a couple of hours on one day we caught 35 crappie. Although there isn't a size limit all of those we caught were at least 10 inches or longer. Second visit for about the same time we caught 27.

Have tried several other lakes: Stella, Georges Lake, Ada, Grandin. The last one was by far the most fun. All of them have abundant Lilly pads but none produced like Grandin. But Stella turned out to be the most exciting. My nephew came down for a 5 day visit. We were out on the lake fishing when I looked around and told him Tim it's pouring the rain right over there, might be a good idea for us to head to the truck. Wide open and we could not out run the rain. Had to slow down because the rain drops felt more like sleet. We got out "annual bath/shower :mad::mad::mad::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: in just a minute. Wasn't a dry thread on either of us after a minute or less. Lesson learned: When it rains in Florida it RAINS. :oops::oops:. Lesson learned: If it looks like rain you best head to the truck. In the last four days we just loaded the boat and tied it down as the downpour began. This has happened twice the last four days which confirmed my theory that its best to get off the lake when weather appears imminent. The last time there was also lightening accompanying the rain. I don't fish in a storm, sitting in a boat on the lake and you are the highest point not to mention the fishing pole lightening rod you are holding in your hands.

Got an invitation to hunt hogs and coyotes on a private cattle farm but the hunt was interrupted by the return to NC. Hopefully we can reschedule the hunt before I head north. Ironically, even as a non resident I do not need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs on private property but do need one to hunt coyotes. ???