Bass question

Hey guys, just a general question regarding bass...

About how deep can one fish for bass? Like how deep is too deep?

There’s an old quarry here in New Bern and word on the street is it holds BIG bass. I caught a decent 2/3 pounder there not too long ago so that’s a start.

Also, I guess there are areas where it’s really deep. I dropped an anchor off the kayak, which if I remember correctly was about a 50’ line...and I dropped just about all of it.

In my head I’m thinking I’ll drop a stick bait or other worm and see what’s down there. But for all I know there could be almost no fish there if it’s too deep. Just want to make sure I’m not wasting my time.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they will be as deep as they need to be.
they cant go deeper than the available oxygen
they wont go deeper if there is nothing to eat deeper.
they loathe just swimming around without relating to some bottom structure or shade or cover.
they will just be swimming around if that is where their preferred prey is. :)
quarries are notoriously clear and bass live deeper in clear water.
try to be there early or late and fish shade banks as a start. They WILL bite topwater baits in that environment.
If your kayak has a bottom machine it'll tell you about the pearly depths and the prescense of fish.
probing around with a senko in 50 ft of water would not be my first option.
Good luck!

they will be as deep as they need to be.
they cant go deeper than the available oxygen
they wont go deeper if there is nothing to eat deeper.
they loathe just swimming around without relating to some bottom structure or shade or cover.
they will just be swimming around if that is where their preferred prey is. :)
quarries are notoriously clear and bass live deeper in clear water.
try to be there early or late and fish shade banks as a start. They WILL bite topwater baits in that environment.
If your kayak has a bottom machine it'll tell you about the pearly depths and the prescense of fish.
probing around with a senko in 50 ft of water would not be my first option.
Good luck!

Thanks.

Yeah I’ve got no electronics so I’m completely in the blind here. I will say, at a glance this place looks like bass heaven. Water is a clearer emerald color and nice looking (compared to all of the creeks here around the Nuese); lots of gnarly trees and stumps poking out of the water; some good cover and nice little ledges and drops off the banks.

the only thing that kind of sucks is the multiple reports of a gator hanging around here. That really got in my head when I went out last. And it makes me a little more weary cruising those ledges. I wish the helpful gentleman hadn’t mentioned it before I launched.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks.

Yeah I’ve got no electronics so I’m completely in the blind here. I will say, at a glance this place looks like bass heaven. Water is a clearer emerald color and nice looking (compared to all of the creeks here around the Nuese); lots of gnarly trees and stumps poking out of the water; some good cover and nice little ledges and drops off the banks.

the only thing that kind of sucks is the multiple reports of a gator hanging around here. That really got in my head when I went out last. And it makes me a little more weary cruising those ledges. I wish the helpful gentleman hadn’t mentioned it before I launched.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
that would be exactly what I would have told you being the helpful gentleman I am. "Be careful out there, you don't want to catch hold of our gator." Anything to lessen pressure on a good spot. :)
Seriously the cover you described will hold more bass than the 50' depths imo/e.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, my buddy sent me a gator pic this past Saturday. Said he didn't move until he got too close to him. He claims that he drug a frog across his nose and he didn't even budge.

I've seen a gator in the Sandhole up Brice's Creek year's ago. Daddy wasn't happy with me while I was throwing Chicken bones at him.

Yep, my buddy sent me a gator pic this past Saturday. Said he didn't move until he got too close to him. He claims that he drug a frog across his nose and he didn't even budge.

I've seen a gator in the Sandhole up Brice's Creek year's ago. Daddy wasn't happy with me while I was throwing Chicken bones at him.

I’m in a kayak so I won’t be going near one anytime soon. Totally different outlook when you’re in a kayak that’s only slightly longer than a territorial gator.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
OS is right about oxygen. The only thing I can say is I did a dive in the Blanch quarry one time. Fish were all 0-15 ft down and this was in summer. At 60 feet down all there was was Big tadpoles.

A lot of variables involved. Like others have mentioned. Like water temp, cover, oxygen. Typically they will be shallow spring and fall and be deeper summer and winter. Ive caught bass in 30 foot of water in the summer. Buy you a sonar to go on your yak. You can get a descent one on Amazon for around $100. That will help you from fishing dead water.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Try some zoom flukes Texas rigged weightless or paddle tail swimbaits and you’ll find out if there is any decent bass there. Definitely wouldn’t fish much without a sonar either.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Things to consider about fishing quarries;

Most quarries have a road that was used to haul rock and heavy equipment in & out, so they won't be very steep and must be wide enough to handle big trucks. That means somewhere there is a ramp from shallow to deep water that also probably has a distinct drop off on one side and a vertical wall on the other. If you work your way fishing along the roadbed, eventually you'll find the depths fish prefer to hang out.

I have been scuba diving for 27 years and the few times I was diving a quarry, in the summer there was always a very distinct thermocline where water went from fairly warm to colder than you'd imagine a bit over 20 feet deep. I don't know if it was because of the cold temperature or a lack of dissolved oxygen, or a combination of the two, but I rarely saw fish below that thermocline. Even though that quarry is probably pretty deep, most of the fish will be in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of the water column.

It may be a great place to fish topwater at night, though I'm not sure fishing around gators at night is a brilliant idea.

I hope this helps. Good luck & have fun.

Jim

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Things to consider about fishing quarries;

Most quarries have a road that was used to haul rock and heavy equipment in & out, so they won't be very steep and must be wide enough to handle big trucks. That means somewhere there is a ramp from shallow to deep water that also probably has a distinct drop off on one side and a vertical wall on the other. If you work your way fishing along the roadbed, eventually you'll find the depths fish prefer to hang out.

I have been scuba diving for 27 years and the few times I was diving a quarry, in the summer there was always a very distinct thermocline where water went from fairly warm to colder than you'd imagine a bit over 20 feet deep. I don't know if it was because of the cold temperature or a lack of dissolved oxygen, or a combination of the two, but I rarely saw fish below that thermocline. Even though that quarry is probably pretty deep, most of the fish will be in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of the water column.

It may be a great place to fish topwater at night, though I'm not sure fishing around gators at night is a brilliant idea.

I hope this helps. Good luck & have fun.

Jim

THIS^^^ when I dove in the Blanch Quarry it was middle of the summer and all the fish were 15' or less.