Bank Stripers

As a complete novice I am in your hands.

I was told recently that bank fishing striper at Weldon wasn't that productive. That you need a boat.

Is this true? I figured as numerous as they are it wouldn't be much different than shad fishing?

Thank you for all your help.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I'm no expert , but fishing from the bank vs from a boat severely limits you're ability to locate fish as well as how you're able to present you're bait to the fish that you do find.

Just an opinion. One thing is for certain though , if you dont give fishing from the bank a try , you'll not catch a single rock fish.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
As a complete novice I am in your hands.

I was told recently that bank fishing striper at Weldon wasn't that productive. That you need a boat.

Is this true? I figured as numerous as they are it wouldn't be much different than shad fishing?

Thank you for all your help.
Not nearly as productive but that doesnt mean you cant catch anything.
Usually the water is so high and so crowded with boats its hard to fish from the bank.
Be prepared to lose alot of bait too.

Not nearly as productive but that doesnt mean you cant catch anything.
Usually the water is so high and so crowded with boats its hard to fish from the bank.
Be prepared to lose alot of bait too.

I was told Tarboro was better from the bank

Planning on finding mostly Bucktails and Diezel Minnowz.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
A few lakes here in PA have real big ones. They leave the lakes and chase trout up the creeks. A few channels at top of lake in Late Fall/Early Winter produce them. I don’t know if it’s the same there.

todobien

Eight Pointer
Shad are more up in the water column where stripers are typically caught closer to the bottom. Lots of hangs trying to do that at Weldon. HOWEVER early and late in the day you would have a chance on topwater. Give it a shot.

Shad are more up in the water column where stripers are typically caught closer to the bottom. Lots of hangs trying to do that at Weldon. HOWEVER early and late in the day you would have a chance on topwater. Give it a shot.

Thanks, so the Tar might be more productive from the bank?

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
I only live about 35-40min from Weldon and avoid the circus for both shad and rockfish from the bank, just not worth the headache.

Last year I popped my cherry and started catching rockfish from the bank on the Tar river. After a bit of a learning curve and some research over the past year I'm taking my new knowledge back to the Tar (starting tomorrow actually) and see if I can get my numbers up from last year.

The 1st trip I took last year with my neighbor was April 5th and I was BLOWEN away that I actually caught a rockfish, let alone 3 that evening/night. Didn't think they were running that early, or the chances were that good to even hook into any. I think I ended up only landing 6 last season, with a bunch of misses/losses. Should be interesting to see how I do

Disclaimer: I am full aware of the closed season for rockfish on the Tar river and strictly practice catch and release of this species.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure as i have never tried it, thought about it but never tried, but use a planer board to get out there if its moving water. The planer board should get out to depths you can't cast to, and allow the bait to look natural

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Thanks, so the Tar might be more productive from the bank?

To answer this question (and this is just my opinion) The rockfish run up the Tar isn't nearly as significant as the Roanoke, but they do run the Tar. I'm not aware of as many bank spots on the Roanoke as I do on the Tar river, so to me the Tar is more accessible, hence, making it more productive???? Also keep in mind I've had a lot of skunks exclusively targeting rockfish on the Tar

Again, I've only had one season targeting them hard, but I'm sure I'll learn more after this spring.

todobien

Eight Pointer
Not sure as i have never tried it, thought about it but never tried, but use a planer board to get out there if its moving water. The planer board should get out to depths you can't cast to, and allow the bait to look natural
Wouldn't running a planer board potentially interfere with other fishing on the bank in Weldon as well as boat traffic?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
saw one caught at town commons last friday. while shrimp anchored to the bottom. I was laughing because everyone was drift fishing for shad. Then they caught the striper.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Wouldn't running a planer board potentially interfere with other fishing on the bank in Weldon as well as boat traffic?
If there are other people and boats then yes it sure would, pick your spots and times accordingly

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
If you can figure out how some of those people get to the bank of the Roanoke in Weldon and Halifax you can catch rockfish
From the bank. Same as on the Tar. Caught a many one from the bank.