Bamboo or River cane which ??

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Been fooling around making wingbone calls the last couple of years and to my surprise they all look good and sound great. I want to try a Jordan style yelper just for fun. The layout looks fairly simple but I’m not sure if the patches of what I call bamboo are actually cane & if they are in fact bamboo will it substitute for River cane? The original plans call for River cane . I live in Wilkes county so I’m guessing bamboo isn’t native here but could easily been planted. You guys have any info that could help I’d really appreciate it

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Dont plant it, if you need some I’ve got a patch your are more than welcome to come get all ya want, I’ve made several cane calls, I thought turned out well and gave a few away as gifts,
it’s about like anything else the more you make the better ya get, the cane, atleast mine made for a softer call than a regular trumpet or wingbone, this summer/fall I’ve got some ideas I wanna try to play with design wise with them

gobbler

Eight Pointer
I think it has alot to do with the mouth piece personally and with a wood cane mouth piece the sound will be more muted, versus a hard bone it’s a bit sharper and louder, you ought to try combining the two, I think parker whedon made a bunch with a bone mouth piece but a spent shell as the barrel, call tinkering building tweaking tuning is a favorite of mine

FYI dried cane burns real hot, I think we heated the house a for a few days this past winter with scraps, also you can use the larger pieces as a call case too, just add a cork stopper

tk26

Six Pointer
I have some dried river cane I’m willing to share. Do you ever make it to the central part of the state? I’m in Pittsboro.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Harvest the cane when the stalks are dry but not cracked. Lower to ground is the best. The cane is more rounded there after the 1st or 2nd node it starts getting flat on one side

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I have some dried river cane I’m willing to share. Do you ever make it to the central part of the state? I’m in Pittsboro.
Thank u . I live in Wilkes but I got some bamboo from a neighbor and so far it’s sounds good. It’s still in drying phase but I’ve been dry fitting with a bone mouthpiece and everything is sounding really good.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I think it has alot to do with the mouth piece personally and with a wood cane mouth piece the sound will be more muted, versus a hard bone it’s a bit sharper and louder, you ought to try combining the two, I think parker whedon made a bunch with a bone mouth piece but a spent shell as the barrel, call tinkering building tweaking tuning is a favorite of mine

FYI dried cane burns real hot, I think we heated the house a for a few days this past winter with scraps, also you can use the larger pieces as a call case too, just add a cork stopper
Thanks for the tips . I’ve got some bamboo from a neighbor and although it’s drying I’ve been dry fitting with a bone mouthpiece and it’s sounding pretty good. Just like u stated a softer tone than wingbone or trumpet