ballistic protection innovation,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
was stopping it with my chest

like any good martial artist,,,have to roll with that "punch"!!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All of the discussion seemed to be on vehicles. Any applications being made currently to body armor?

One article mentioned reducing the weight of an Abrams tank by 9 tons. Sounds great, but I imagine they would need to compensate for that in other areas. How about recoil?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah .. OK ... innovative armor ...

... but they can't deliver where it matters ...

... they can't win at "revenue" college sports. LOLZ :D

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
All of the discussion seemed to be on vehicles. Any applications being made currently to body armor?

One article mentioned reducing the weight of an Abrams tank by 9 tons. Sounds great, but I imagine they would need to compensate for that in other areas. How about recoil?

I'm not clued into everything going on, but I do know there's some carbon fiber technology being developed that may have some potential use in soft body armor.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I would imagine that even with sufficient body armor just the concusion of the round would cause all your internal organs to rupture ,death would most likely be instant.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wonder if it hit over the spleen or liver if there would be enough K.E. to cause them to rupture, even slightly.

It's worth noting that hard armor came first - soft body armor was conceived and developed with a fairly narrow performance window in mind. I don't think soft body armor technology will ever (practically speaking) handle a bullet of that weight and speed and I'm reasonably certain they aren't even contemplating such a thing as the back face deformation would be totally unacceptable.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Mild thread drift .... a few of you may find this interesting;

The guy that gets the credit for developing soft body armor with textile technology was a guy named Rich Davis - his company was Second Chance. I was one of only two guys in the county wearing one of his vest back in the late 70's.

It's interesting to note that the SME's at that time warned that serious injury or death could occur from the compression of tissue and organs upon bullet impact.

Rich dispelled those notions in a most compelling fashion. His marketing scheme (which sure worked on me) was to show up at every LE venue he could get an invite to, and shoot himself in the chest with a Model 29 .44 Magnum revolver! He did this many times a week over a period of many months. The only thing he would do to mitigate the constant and repeated bruising, was put a stack of magazines or phone book under his shirt.

The man's invention has saved a LOT of lives!

http://genknews.genkcdn.vn/2018/ezgifcom-optimize1-1514741282483.gif

Last edited:

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I would imagine that even with sufficient body armor just the concusion of the round would cause all your internal organs to rupture ,death would most likely be instant.

I was thinking along the same lines. Just like a blow to the head with a baseball bat may not break the skin, internal damage can still be catastrophic because of the "blunt" energy transfer...

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns

The guy that gets the credit for developing soft body armor with textile technology was a guy named Rich Davis - his company was Second Chance. I was one of only two guys in the county wearing one of his vest back in the late 70's.

It's interesting to note that the SME's at that time warned that serious injury or death could occur from the compression of tissue and organs upon bullet impact.

Rich dispelled those notions in a most compelling fashion. His marketing scheme (which sure worked on me) was to show up at every LE venue he could get an invite to and shoot himself in the chest with a Model 29 .44 Magnum revolver! He did this many times a week over a period of many months. The only thing he would do to mitigate the constant and repeated bruising, was put a stack of magazines or phone book under his shirt.

First vest I got when I hit the fleet was a second chance. Nice and light and wore under our nomex coveralls comfortably. As thin and floppy as it was, I don’t think I would’ve wanted to catch a .22 let alone a .44 mag!!! ?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

Rich dispelled those notions in a most compelling fashion. His marketing scheme (which sure worked on me) was to show up at every LE venue he could get an invite to, and shoot himself in the chest with a Model 29 .44 Magnum revolver! He did this many times a week over a period of many months. The only thing he would do to mitigate the constant and repeated bruising, was put a stack of magazines or phone book under his shirt.

I wore a Second Chance back in the 70's and 80's, never was shot but still wore it on every shift. Hot, and it got heavy even though it was light weight but beat the hell out of nothing....