Baked Porgy

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so had a nice little Porgy,,,about a 16" fish,,,kept him whole (minus guts and scales)

baked him with a layer of tapenade spread on the inside and outside

dang,,,,,,,

good eats,,,reminded me of the flavor of our mediterranean fish stew,,,without the stew

I know, I know,,,fish is for frying,,,but if you like the flavor of a little olives and capers,,then give it a try sometime,,,I expect it will work on any nice flaky white meat fish

I look forward to trynung it again,,them things have a HUGE cheek meat area

took a cell phone picture - gonna have to quit trying with this old iPhone 3 - pictures never turn out clear

anyhow - go for it!

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds delicious. Fish is not for frying. Pork skin is. Frying fish is quite possibly, against popular judgement from those with less intellectual and culinary prowess than ourselves, the worst way to prepare fish.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
To paraphrase a rock song - "if you don't eat your fish you can't have any pudding"!!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
One of the best fish I ever had was my neighbors grilled in skin mullet with a light bbq glaze.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Came back from a saltwater trip recently and cooked a couple big ringtails
whole. Did one as a baked Thai chili lime, and the other pan fried with only a dusting of spice and rice flour and then served with Mae ploy sweet chili sauce over it. I had forgotten how wonderfully complex of a flavor you retained when you didn't fillet. Like you said cheek meat is great.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I like a good piece of fried fish as much as the next guy but I think I prefer it broiled or baked more. I guess that means it's less than the next guy.

Either way a porgy is a good eating fish and that method sounds delish!

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Sounds delicious. Fish is not for frying. Pork skin is. Frying fish is quite possibly, against popular judgement from those with less intellectual and culinary prowess than ourselves, the worst way to prepare fish.
While I love a good baked/broiled fish there is nothing in this world that compares to a bunch of fried snapper bluefish. Flame away.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
White snapper is for frying...period...... any other way is sacrilege. And to serve this without cheese grits and green tomato hush puppies with a big sweaty glass of sweet tea is even a worse case.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
duplicate...what the heck is going on ....even the website doesn't think white snapper need to be broiled?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
weren't talking about white snapper,,,,,,,

most any fish does well broiled, baked, or grilled,,,,only some are worth frying,,,

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
weren't talking about white snapper,,,,,,,

most any fish does well broiled, baked, or grilled,,,,only some are worth frying,,,
White snapper is what the charter boats call porgy around our parts..makes them sound more delicious. They are one of my favorite fried fish. Baked is reserved for pompano typically.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I had to google porgy. From what the guru's on google said, it is part of the bream family.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
And there aint nothing wrong with some fried catfish. Catch em, skin em, chunk em up, dip in batter and drop in fryer.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I have some Rockfish thawed from our annual Alaskan trip this summer. I'm going to dredge it in seasoned flour, then egg wash, and then panko before frying. My family eats fish 2 or 3 nights a week and to me there's no wrong way to cook fish. I usually grill or bake it but that flaky white meat fish is so good fried.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
White snapper is what the charter boats call porgy around our parts..makes them sound more delicious. They are one of my favorite fried fish. Baked is reserved for pompano typically.

dang, learn something every day - the boat I use called them porgy. The white snapper I have had was in Asia,,,different fish

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Is a Richmond Flounder as skate? I admit you have me stumped.

Rays..... something I coined after a Virginia Beach friend called a false albacore a Richmond tuna. Figured it was a good fit for the crappy version of similar fish lol