Backstrap

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Had a good buddy in town this weekend and he brought a backstrap from the buck he killed on my lease last year. Rubbed down with coarse sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and garlic powder. Threw in a ziploc bag with worcestshire, cayenne and some paprika for a few hours. Hot and fast over coals and hickory wood. Made a little cucumber, red onion, tomato and vinegar medley to go with it.

324F0939-22F5-47B7-A99B-E2F4E0BB7AA6.jpeg

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sounds delicious. Simple is always best. Marinitate whole loin in refrigerator in 1 gallon ziploc bag w/ Italian salad dressing for 4-12 hours. Wrap the backstrap w/ bacon held in place w/ toothpicks. Cook rare to med. rare on charcoal grill. Cut the loin diagonally real thin w/ a filet knife. You will have to fight off the troops to get any yourself. Tip: if frozen, while thawing your loin, put it in a casserole dish covered w/ a damp drying towel. While thawing, occasionally pour off the reddish liquid. The meat will not develop a hard rind.

Looks like a big deer. Hot coals is the best cooking technique. IMO. Whatcha doing with that egg/ golf ball on the counter. Shirly you didnt shoot him on the golf course?

Last edited:

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Sounds delicious. Simple is always best. Marinitate whole loin in refrigerator in 1 gallon ziploc bag w/ Italian salad dressing for 4-12 hours. Wrap the backstrap w/ bacon held in place w/ toothpicks. Cook rare to med. rare on charcoal grill. Cut the loin diagonally real thin w/ a filet knife. You will have to fight off the troops to get any yourself. Tip: if frozen, while thawing your loin, put it in a casserole dish covered w/ a damp drying towel. While thawing, occasionally pour off the reddish liquid. The meat will not develop a hard rind.

I have utilized the Italian dressing/bacon method a time or two including butterflying it and stuffing it. These days I lean towards no bacon. Same with my duck breasts. I believe I enjoy it a tad more.