backstrap recipe

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Does anybody in here have a suggestion on how to cook the backstraps of a deer ? I've tried several different ways and none come out right. I mean from what to soak it in and how long to soak it to get the blood and gamey taste out of it to how soon to cook it after i soak it. I've tried soaking it in butter milk or ice water for a week and cooking it after that even to wrapping it in bacon and cooking it in the oven and it still don't taste rite so does anybody have any full recipes from start to finish. I've cooked it in a stew and the oven and it still doesn't taste rite so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Ill post here in addition to my PM. Field care is first and foremost. My personal favorite and what I think is the best way to cook at venison steak is with the use of a sous vide. This method of cooking is absolutely perfect for wild game. Wild game lacks any fat to help buffer over cooking and retain moisture. With a sous vide is impossible to over cook and dry the meat out. I take my steaks and put them in a gallon bag with butter, salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic then let it cook in the sous vide for at least an hour depending on side. Time is not really important as long as its cooked through. You can leave it for an hour or 4 and you'll still have perfectly cooked steaks. I set the temperature to 120 and get my sides worked up. When its done I take the meat out, dry it off a little and then place it in a lightly oiled cast iron that is just starting to smoke. I let it sear and help out the process with a blow torch. My goal is to crisp up the outside as fast as possible without cooking the meat further. Flip, do the other side and plate.
I'm doing some tomorrow, Ill try to get a pic.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I agree that sous vide is a great way to cook deer meat.

cea7fc6a849912b7b82f1514b659da11.jpg

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Salt and fire...

I’ve never tasted a ‘gamey’ piece of deer meat. It all just tastes like deer. Some cuts/deer are tougher than others, but they all taste the same.

If you don’t like the way deer tastes, it doesn’t really matter how you cook it.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’ve never soaked deer meat so can’t say nothing about it.

My method is to Cold/dry age at least 3 days if possible. The meat needs to relax before butchering/freezing and can take a couple of days. You can age in a iced down cooler if you don’t have a fridge.

I age deer 14-18 days with skin on in a walk in cooler and that makes a HUGE difference in tenderness and taste. I know not everyone has access to a walk in cooler but if you do or have an extra fridge in the garage this is highly recommended.

Remove all silver skin and fat. I think the fat and silver skin makes the gamey taste especially after it’s been frozen so I take it all off every piece of deer meat before I freeze it.

Cut them about 2 1/2” thick and butterfly. Tighten up with string optional.

Let steaks reach room temperature before cooking.

Pat dry with paper towels.

Olive oil, good bit of kosher salt and pepper

Very hot skillet or coals.

Cook 3.5 minutes each side remove and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

No gamey taste I guarantee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Sous vide style.
Set to 120, bag the steaks in a light seasons plus some butter. I went with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic.
Cast iron smoking hot and seat on both sides with the help of a torch.
These are just slightly over done for me, thin cuts are a little harder to get right.
42483FBB-8950-443C-95FD-905E64A26DCD.jpeg
F696EC9E-6650-4270-BB34-7147F051FFC3.jpeg
27F49927-5899-4A55-8A99-7E790F09B7F1.jpeg

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Man.

All due respect.

You have made some crazy post I’m scratching my head. I thought not to post but I can’t help it.

You have asked these questions a lot and had a lot of awesome response.

You told us you only keep the back straps from a deer because it’s the only good part. Now your telling us you can’t cook it and it taste bad.

The whole deer is great from A to M.

Cooking and prep is 100% of how something taste.
Again gamey flavor comes from poor handling of the meat. Not the blood or the red juice from the meat.

Please start over in a thread and introduce yourself. Admit your very new to hunting and preparing deer to cook. State maybe your looking for advice and a little green behind the ear. IMO you would be respected more for that.

The whole looking for a place to hunt threads smacked me in the side of the head when you don’t want to hunt game lands to try and get a deer.
I hate to blow the secret on an open forum but I live very close to a lake in central NC with 1000s of acres of public land around it. Lately I’ve been walking them shooting squirrels, scouting, fishing, gathering mushrooms
b5166d4e2e1d0ee306d10f8342a657e0.jpg

3316021fc4986ab4211234e05607e57f.jpg

I have ran into one person in the last few outings. Game lands are not crowded as one might think. And no deer don’t live in the open woods and logging roads. They don’t like to be seen and usually stick tight to cover.
This is a hunting forum. Every one here I think hunts. No one I think is going to say “here is a nice private huge chunk of land of mine, hunt all you want, no ones going to be here but you.” It doesn’t work like that.
My biggest tract is 6acres and multiple .25-.5acre lots
Yes they produce deer. And trophy deer.
ee6dad0d41f4fde69525398253a7df96.jpg

a2b12e3e4f6e14a9d639ed44ee48a4f0.jpg

These deer came off tracts so small you could practically walk across in 30secs.

Never paid a dollar besides corn to kill these deer. I knocked on doors and showed up at farmers markets or ag centers conferences to spread the word looking for a place to hunt.
Set up presentations and slide shows, PowerPoints. What ever it takes to secure a little place to stick deer.

So. Please start over.
If not I understand. This isn’t to bash you or your way of thinking.
Just know to be successful cooking deer or finding a place to hunt takes years and lots of work and headache. Nothings free.
I stared when I was a kid with a shotgun, dad wouldn’t give me a rifle until I was 16.
I figured out how to kill a deer sitting in a 3 tree built stand my dad built me on our 10 acres sitting on a 5 gal bucket with a youth 20ga shotgun and a slug. Sat day after day until a doe and a fawn came in to the corn. No cameras back then that I had or knew of.
I butchered that deer into a mess. Threw a lot away and had not a darn clue what I was doing. Look, it took along time before I knew how to utilize a deer. I’m still learning. I’ve placed my self around new people that have different ways of doing things than us westerners.
Hunting, cooking. There’s more than one way to skin a cat if you get my drift.

I’m sure more than anything, we all here, I think at NC hunt and fish are willing to help. But no one likes to help people that can’t help them self.

So

Pull those back straps.
I like too..
Refrigerate so the meat is easier to handle.
So put the straps in a big dollar store plastic bowl in the refrigerator.
Take out once meat is cool. Yes there should be some red juice in the bowl. Pour it down the sink. It’s ok,
Now take the strap and cut into 3eds
Now fillet the silver skin off and trim most of the tendon looking stuff.
Now rub those clean 3eds down with salt.
Put them back in that clean dry bowl back in the refrigerator for a day or so.
After the day or so..
put them on your kitchen counter to get close to room temperature. Or at least 60*
Buy a meat thermometer if your not comfortable.
Now get a cast iron hot as you can on the stove or a grill hot as possible. I mean 500+degrees hotter is fine.

This is important. I like butter [emoji1787]
Really listen here.
No more than 3mins a side. Don’t flip and play with it. Once it hits that grill or cast iron let it sit 2.5-3mins. Flip
2.5-3 more mins.
Take off
Put the cooked pieces in aluminum foil, pepper heavy IMO or season what ever floats your boat. I like a dollop of butter. Wrap them up in that foil.
Now you can choose how to insulate it.
I usually cover with a towel or oven mitts, what ever. Some people have those expensive 6pack yeti or similar coolers, put your cooked aluminum foil wrapped back straps in there to insulate them.
The point is to insulate and rest at least 10mins.
Slice and enjoy.
My wife is picky
She eats them with joy
Really like grade A beef.
The point is don’t ever get steak cuts of venison over 130*

Try this.
Fresh or aged sanitary
Thin slice back straps. Or chop, who cares
Raw.
Put in a bowl
Add fresh squeezed lime juice.
Fresh chili pepper or chard
Olive oil.
Eat raw.

I like smashed garlic, lemon grass, chili and onion on mine personally.

Try the same with lime juice and fish or soy sauce

Again don’t cook it over 130* unless you are stewing it down.
79617ccb4765be75cd8504ff77843f15.jpg

These are fresh off a deer. Baked for 30mins on 400* in this Dutch oven. Then grilled and BBQed
A normal person would never know or ask what animal it came off of.
Might ask where your fingers were after eating. [emoji1787]

Cheers and happy hunting. If you ask for real help on this forum your likely to get real help. This is a long running joking picking caring brother hood here. Just like the military [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I might soak it in milk for a couple hours. If I remember.

Otherwise:
Thaw it out
dip it in milk,
coat it in Atkinsons or House Autry spicy breading,
fry in oil in a Le Creuset skillet for a few minutes a side (we want it Rare,)
remove and let it set for a few minutes

For dipping sauce, mix Dukes Mayo with Sriracha.

To me, there is nothing finer than a fried backstrap with a side of Pierogi's. Kasia's from Costco are the best, on par with anything I could get at a grocer on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago. But I digress.

If you can't make a backstrap taste right, you probably don't like red meat, or you're screwing up the processing/butchering of your deer.

I wonder what you're doing as far as butchering/processing your deer. Doing it yourself? Processor?

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Man.

All due respect.

You have made some crazy post I’m scratching my head. I thought not to post but I can’t help it.

You have asked these questions a lot and had a lot of awesome response.

You told us you only keep the back straps from a deer because it’s the only good part. Now your telling us you can’t cook it and it taste bad.

The whole deer is great from A to M.

Cooking and prep is 100% of how something taste.
Again gamey flavor comes from poor handling of the meat. Not the blood or the red juice from the meat.

Please start over in a thread and introduce yourself. Admit your very new to hunting and preparing deer to cook. State maybe your looking for advice and a little green behind the ear. IMO you would be respected more for that.

The whole looking for a place to hunt threads smacked me in the side of the head when you don’t want to hunt game lands to try and get a deer.
I hate to blow the secret on an open forum but I live very close to a lake in central NC with 1000s of acres of public land around it. Lately I’ve been walking them shooting squirrels, scouting, fishing, gathering mushrooms
b5166d4e2e1d0ee306d10f8342a657e0.jpg

3316021fc4986ab4211234e05607e57f.jpg

I have ran into one person in the last few outings. Game lands are not crowded as one might think. And no deer don’t live in the open woods and logging roads. They don’t like to be seen and usually stick tight to cover.
This is a hunting forum. Every one here I think hunts. No one I think is going to say “here is a nice private huge chunk of land of mine, hunt all you want, no ones going to be here but you.” It doesn’t work like that.
My biggest tract is 6acres and multiple .25-.5acre lots
Yes they produce deer. And trophy deer.
ee6dad0d41f4fde69525398253a7df96.jpg

a2b12e3e4f6e14a9d639ed44ee48a4f0.jpg

These deer came off tracts so small you could practically walk across in 30secs.

Never paid a dollar besides corn to kill these deer. I knocked on doors and showed up at farmers markets or ag centers conferences to spread the word looking for a place to hunt.
Set up presentations and slide shows, PowerPoints. What ever it takes to secure a little place to stick deer.

So. Please start over.
If not I understand. This isn’t to bash you or your way of thinking.
Just know to be successful cooking deer or finding a place to hunt takes years and lots of work and headache. Nothings free.
I stared when I was a kid with a shotgun, dad wouldn’t give me a rifle until I was 16.
I figured out how to kill a deer sitting in a 3 tree built stand my dad built me on our 10 acres sitting on a 5 gal bucket with a youth 20ga shotgun and a slug. Sat day after day until a doe and a fawn came in to the corn. No cameras back then that I had or knew of.
I butchered that deer into a mess. Threw a lot away and had not a darn clue what I was doing. Look, it took along time before I knew how to utilize a deer. I’m still learning. I’ve placed my self around new people that have different ways of doing things than us westerners.
Hunting, cooking. There’s more than one way to skin a cat if you get my drift.

I’m sure more than anything, we all here, I think at NC hunt and fish are willing to help. But no one likes to help people that can’t help them self.

So

Pull those back straps.
I like too..
Refrigerate so the meat is easier to handle.
So put the straps in a big dollar store plastic bowl in the refrigerator.
Take out once meat is cool. Yes there should be some red juice in the bowl. Pour it down the sink. It’s ok,
Now take the strap and cut into 3eds
Now fillet the silver skin off and trim most of the tendon looking stuff.
Now rub those clean 3eds down with salt.
Put them back in that clean dry bowl back in the refrigerator for a day or so.
After the day or so..
put them on your kitchen counter to get close to room temperature. Or at least 60*
Buy a meat thermometer if your not comfortable.
Now get a cast iron hot as you can on the stove or a grill hot as possible. I mean 500+degrees hotter is fine.

This is important. I like butter [emoji1787]
Really listen here.
No more than 3mins a side. Don’t flip and play with it. Once it hits that grill or cast iron let it sit 2.5-3mins. Flip
2.5-3 more mins.
Take off
Put the cooked pieces in aluminum foil, pepper heavy IMO or season what ever floats your boat. I like a dollop of butter. Wrap them up in that foil.
Now you can choose how to insulate it.
I usually cover with a towel or oven mitts, what ever. Some people have those expensive 6pack yeti or similar coolers, put your cooked aluminum foil wrapped back straps in there to insulate them.
The point is to insulate and rest at least 10mins.
Slice and enjoy.
My wife is picky
She eats them with joy
Really like grade A beef.
The point is don’t ever get steak cuts of venison over 130*

Try this.
Fresh or aged sanitary
Thin slice back straps. Or chop, who cares
Raw.
Put in a bowl
Add fresh squeezed lime juice.
Fresh chili pepper or chard
Olive oil.
Eat raw.

I like smashed garlic, lemon grass, chili and onion on mine personally.

Try the same with lime juice and fish or soy sauce

Again don’t cook it over 130* unless you are stewing it down.
79617ccb4765be75cd8504ff77843f15.jpg

These are fresh off a deer. Baked for 30mins on 400* in this Dutch oven. Then grilled and BBQed
A normal person would never know or ask what animal it came off of.
Might ask where your fingers were after eating. [emoji1787]

Cheers and happy hunting. If you ask for real help on this forum your likely to get real help. This is a long running joking picking caring brother hood here. Just like the military [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no
You have done a great job of hitting the nail on the head. I was also going to respond to this thread , glad I did't you did a much better job of it than I could have.