Back where I started... sort of

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My first ML was a Knight LK93 Wolverine. I shot a lot of loose Pyrodex, pellets, and bullet combos. Settled on 90 gr Pyrodex Select, green sabots, and Hornady 240 gr XTP's which consistently shot into 2" or better. The combo accounted for lots of deer. Accurate as it was I despised the boat paddle, no recoil pad stock so it eventually went down the road. Lots of muzzleloaders came and went over the years. My current favorite and I thought last ML is a camo, stainless CVA Optima V2 set up with BH209. Well today I stopped in a shop, found, and bought an unfired Knight MK85 on consignment for less than half the original new price. For those that don't know these guns, they started the inline craze in 1985 and were the best of the best. Nice bluing, laminate stock, Green Mountain barrel, Timney adjustable trigger, Williams sights (hooded front), and had a 2" 100 yard group guarantee. To this day I still shoot the same sabot/bullet combo, just need to find some Pyrodex Select. The CVA is staying as a primary because it's BH209 capable, the Knight will be a back up, but it just feels right being back in a Knight where I started. Kinda looking forward to he smell and smoke cloud of loose Pyrodex. Pics to follow....

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a Knight Disc in (I think) 1999, the one with the 22 inch barrel...Now, I shoot FFF Goex as I also shoot flintlocks...With those green sabots and a few boxes of the 240s and the 300s, I can sight in almost any inline....I've done this for several friends...I usually find 80-85 or 90grs works...Some prefer the 240s, and some the 300s...The deer don't seem to notice the difference... :)

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took the gun apart and it is in fact a new unfired rifle. It is made for #11 caps but a 209 conversion kit has been located (hard to find now). Primer holders (also hard to find) have been located, thanks @Ol Copper. My BIL donated about a half can of Pyrodex Select so I'll be rolling smoke soon. In a way I'm going backwards from my CVA (it's not going anywhere) because I can't use BH209, but I'm kind of excited to go back to all the smoke and smell of Pyrodex. It's a shame these rifles went away because they were so well made and with all top notch parts.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
^^ Original Disc rifle bought in 2001
I added a factory thumbhole stock and converted to the bare 209 system.

It loves a 110 gr. charge of BH209 and an original 250 gr. Barnes MZ in a MMP HP-24 sabot.
Tack driver....

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I have 2 of the wolverine's and shoot 90 grains of 777 in one with a black 240 ftp and 80 gr8 with a green ftp and it will touch holes if you do your part. I converted them both to 209 primers when #11 caps got hard to find at wally world. I have killed a bunch of deer with them. I love to hunt with them when I don't take my T/C Renegade with a patched round ball.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
What is the problem with shooting Blackhorn in a MK85 with the 209 conversion ? I have done it for years , shoots great , never noticed a problem .

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What is the problem with shooting Blackhorn in a MK85 with the 209 conversion ? I have done it for years , shoots great , never noticed a problem .
According to several online posts, plunger type guns can recock due to the higher pressure causing the primer to become a projectile. Some suggest 80-100 gr is safe. Care to share what you're shooting?

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
According to several online posts, plunger type guns can recock due to the higher pressure causing the primer to become a projectile. Some suggest 80-100 gr is safe. Care to share what you're shooting?
I shoot 70 grain Blackhorn by weight under a Barnes 50 cal 250 spit fire TEZ ( I think that is what they are called ,Blue sabot for easy loading , my Mk has a real tight barrel ) . I brought my MK85 in 1986 , it has a short barrel (22 inch I think ) and I converted it to 209 many years ago . This is my backup rifle and I don't shoot it much , just check the zero each fall. Its is always on the money and the primers stay in place. It has killed a bunch of deer in the last 35 years and is probably the most accurate muzzleloader that I have ever owned. If this is a safety problem I don't recommend anybody else doing it but I will continue with it.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like 80 gr by volume (56 gr weighed) has the same velocity (1696 fps) as two 777 pellets (1703 fps) with a 240 gr XTP bullet. That leads me to think similar pressures and that's plenty fast for the max 100 yard shots I have available. Think I'll give the 80 (56) a try......

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here she is ready to sight in. Installed a 209 conversion kit. The 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn is surprisingly bright and clear for $100 scope. PSA they are on sale at Natchez for $30.
View attachment 88092
That’s a nice find to land one unfired. Those were great guns. Maybe not as convenient to clean as some of the modern options, but it should hold it’s own for accuracy. Looks classy.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I have a stainless Knight disc rifle with synthetic camo stock. It shoots lights out with 2 pellets.
I also have a Modern Muzzleloading T-5A (made by Knight Industries) that shoots phenominal with 90 grains of Pyrodex.
Both shooting green sabots and Hornady 240 grain XTP.
Don't shoot them much anymore, though. I use a T/C Encore.